1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drinking out of bottle/can vs. pouring in to glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by happy4hoppybeer, Dec 8, 2012.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I like the last little bit of a good bottle. Nothing like a yeast slurry to chase off hangovers.

2. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Heady.. As great as it tastes.. Freaks some folks out with the floaties in the beer.... Visually unappealing to many. The smell of shitty smelling beer is indeed complemented by the bottle/can. Harder to smell how shitty it is. Glasses, snifters in particular are shaped that way for an actual function. Some don't care.... But most of them drink through a funnel.

PsilohsaiBiN and stayclean like this.
  3. MagillaGriller

Get a better glass

CloudStrife and MarioM like this.

4. OK, this hasn't gone as well as I had hoped. I seriously can't believe how many think it's mandatory or proper to pour into glass. Like another poster said, to each their own.

5. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

They need to quit telling me what to do! :D

6. MagillaGriller

You might be missing the point brother. Certainly to each their own. Most folks, if given a choice, however, would simply like to engage their sense of smell and sight as part of the "experience". If its just as good to you without it, enjoy. Cheers.

7. On what grounds do you base this? I agree, to each their own, but you haven't explained why you feel this way.

MagillaGriller likes this.
  8. it never ceases to amaze the lengths some will go to rationalize laziness

RobertColianni likes this.
  9. You drink out of the bottle? What's that like?

10. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

I honestly drink most canned beers (except Ten Fidy) out of the can, esp IPAs. Always have, prob always will.... I dont want to hear the nose or anything like that, look at Headys can- they tell you to.

happy4hoppybeer likes this.
  11. I have too many glasses that I use. Im starting to dwindle my collection, but I always use like 5 glasses for every beer.

12. Touché sir.

13. Laziness?? How??? Cause I see nothing but pretentiousness from the always-pour-into-glass crowd.

14. It's great. Best way to enjoy beer, IMO.

15. I have always gotten more flavor, body and overall character drinking straight from the bottle. I have always, for some unexplained reason, experienced less of that when poured into glass. Maybe it's the oxygen and light.

16. Glass always.

17. Then you must be one of those "super tasters" because the instantaneous effects light and oxygen have on a beer that's transferred from bottle to glass are minute. Yet, if it's detectable to you, maybe there will be a new wave of experimentation where people do two different reviews for every beer: one in the glass and one in the bottle/can. I guess anything's possible. I just couldn't imagine drinking an effervescent saison out of the bottle when the aroma is half the delight. Same thing with a beautiful IPA like Zombie Dust: the bouquet is one of the main reasons I enjoy it so thoroughly. *shrug*

RochefortChris likes this.
  18. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Glass. Always. Well, not when I'm fishing or camping.

19. I always do glass. The visual aspect is a big part of the beer drinking experience IMO. I dont care what it says on the Heady Topper can

stayclean likes this.
  20. Who cares what I regard as proper?
    If you really care though, I always choose to pour into appropriate stemware.

Regardless...
    Step 1 : Take 2 bottles/cans of the same brew.
    Step 2 : Pour one into glass of choice.
    Step 3 : Drink one from glass, the other from bottle/can.
    Step 4 : Decide for yourself.

21. Can you explain how 'the shape of the bottle allows for a better smell of the beer'? This is a serious question.

22. I'll start drinking out of the bottle/can the day I can fit my nose in them while drinking.

23. Schwerzpunkt

Schwerzpunkt Aficionado (135) Oct 9, 2012

If at home, always into glassware...snifter, tulip, or whatever is appropriate for the style. If i'm out somewhere, out of the bottle or whatever is available. However, I've found that the experience is always better when poured into proper glassware.

24. antilite

antilite Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 1, 2012

Glassware needs to be washed. What a pain. I sold my Duvel at a garage sale and picked up a case of red Solo cups. They work great for halving the Wild Turkey and Old Milwaukee. Alone, beer, milk, orange juice, and ice cream are best consumed from the original container. Mothers' milk, as well.

25. glasses are unequivocally superior. it's not a matter of opinion, drinking out of the bottle limits flavor.

26. I'm just going to beer bong the rest of this Darkness.

27. New tick - glass. Beer staples - usually bottle.

28. Have to +1,000 on most other sentiments here. You'll find the BJCP and Cicerone literature encourage pouring. Taste is largely a component of smell, so you might want to experiment with how you smell out of the glass. Sommeliers don't drink wine from the bottle for the same reason.

True, aroma is the first to dissipate, which is why BJCP judges often focus on aroma first, then take a look at aroma, then taste, then go back through the cycle a few times.

It feels wrong telling someone that what they are tasting/experiencing is wrong, so I won't go that far. You're certainly entitled to do what you please. But I'm willing to bet that the brewers, judges, beer writers, etc that you respect the most will argue that beer out of a glass is better practically as a scientific matter. But many of them will also tell you that we all have different perceptions of taste... so if it tastes good to you, then rock on.

You'll practically never find me drinking from a bottle... just sayin'

cheers!

29. Always from a bottle...even when i go out, I like to bring an empty bottle and have them fill it up from the tap.
    Really enhances the aroma.

TheBoog013 and RobertColianni like this.
  30. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

lol

31. MagillaGriller

More than a little douchey, belittling those responding to a largely ignorant claim. Ive wasted enough key strokes trying to be sensible with an argument that resembles something from the shallow end of the gene pool. Wear two condoms - perhaps it will increase your sensitivity durin sex. Next time you want to have an informed discussion you might want ensure your final point isn't
    "Alls I know is" ....

32. MagillaGriller

Some folks also live in mud huts

33. Drinking out of a tulip glass is a fucking must.

34. The slippery slope is getting slippier all the time here.

35. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,020) Michigan May 5, 2010

I never drink from the can/bottle. EVER. Even if I'm at some crappy bowling alley bar with 1 craft bottle in stock, I will have it in a highball glass. I can make it work.

36. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Aren't there gases trapped in the bottle/ can (Co2 and others) that adversely affect the drinking experience if the beer is not poured into a glass?

37. Almost always in a glass. Like 98% of the time. Only time I don't is at parties where glassware isn't available, outdoor bbqs, etc. Drinking from a glass enhances the experience for me in every way. Except if I'm just getting a buzz at a party. Less likely to spill that way. ;)

38. Depends what sort of beer it is. Currently drinking a lot of pilsner, straight from the bottle.

39. ALWAYS A GLASS!

Drinking right from the bottle or can, you're going to swallow all that CO2 and be burping or gassy all night....

Also, how do you smell from a bottle or can while you are drinking it? Unless you've invented some weird tube so you can smell while taking a swig. SMELL enhances taste! FACT

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  40. Genuine

Genuine Savant (465) Connecticut May 7, 2009

haha, I can't say that I've done that but I have the classic pint glass, the nonic, the tulip, some southern tier and sam adams glasses, and a couple 32oz mugs when I don't want to go for refill so often.