1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drinking out of bottle/can vs. pouring in to glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by happy4hoppybeer, Dec 8, 2012.

1. That is true. I've done the side by side with Heady Topper. I think the main reason they want you to drink from the can is because of all the hop residue floating in it. It didn't bother me when I poured it but I can see that turning someone off. I thought the aroma was much better when I poured HT into a tulip glass.

2. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I mostly drink from an appropriate glass, but I feel no guilt or shame at drinking directly from the bottle or can. Sometimes my mustache or nose hairs get tangled in the pop tops of cans, but that's a small price to pay for not having to wash a fancy beer glass

3. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I really hope you're not serious about this. There are as many ways to enjoy a beer as there are beer drinkers.

happy4hoppybeer likes this.
  4. Always pour into a glass. AAL' s would be the only exception, imho. I could be wrong though, it's happened before.:)

5. I could never imagine drinking a stout, barleywine, old ale, sour, or pretty much anything strait out of the bottle. I don't need the best glass wear but I'm not gonna try a big ass beer out of a bottle. That's just rude. As for the Heady argument, I don't follow their rules.

RBassSFHOPit2ME and rjniles like this.
  6. TKEbeerman

TKEbeerman Savant (355) Florida Jun 6, 2009

Yes, its wide on the bottom and skinny at the top, which funnels the aromas from the beer to a consintrated point. Thats my theory based on my drinking experience and nothing scientific behind it

7. TKEbeerman

TKEbeerman Savant (355) Florida Jun 6, 2009

I have a Sam Adams Perfect Pint, its obviously the best glass otherwise "perfect" would not be in the name. But on a serious note, I pour Heady into a glass, no reason to fear an unfiltered beer's appearance.

8. According to whom??

9. According to whom??

10. No, I don't think so.

11. Smell is irrelevant to taste. FACT

12. Optifron

Optifron Aficionado (205) Illinois Aug 17, 2012

Any food scientist will refute that point, unless taste is purely referring to sweet, sour, salty, bitter or umami (and I think they have discovered a sixth taste receptor for fat according to Randy Moser's Tasting Beer?)

Or I've been trolled. Seems about just as likely.

13. Successful troll is successful.

14. BeerBum

BeerBum Aficionado (235) California Nov 13, 2012

Smell is irrelevant to taste, per se. However, I think many people are confusing the concept of beer taste and beer flavor. Hopefully this explanation clears it up.

Why are taste receptions and smell receptions so closely related? Why is it that, if we are sick, we can hardly taste what we are eating because our nose is blocked? Why would it be detrimental for a chef to not have that good of a sense of smell? Actually, the relationship is like this because “what we often call taste is in fact flavor. Flavor is a combination of taste, smell, texture (touch sensation) and other physical features (e.g. temperature)” (4). When we eat, the reception that our taste buds get also react to the odors released by the food and therefore we are able to identify what it is we are actually eating (5). If we didn’t have a sense of smell, then we could distinguish between something that might be sweet and something that is bitter, but we wouldn’t know which food was which because we identify the food based on smell. This would explain the detriment bestowed upon a chef if he or she were only able to taste, but not smell. They would not be able to understand the full complexities of the ingredients they were working with and, because cooking is such a chemical process, they would never be able to find a “perfect combination” of ingredients for a meal. They wouldn’t be able to understand what factors may turn some people on and off to certain foods. In a way, tasting is only half the package for enjoying food.

I always try and use the appropriate glass, because smell and taste combine to produce flavor. Cheers!

15. I refuse to drink out of a glass and always prefer the bottle. Unless reviewing the beer, I don't need to see what it looks like or what the head looks like, I want the taste and I think it tastes best right out of the bottle!

16. So you will rather drink right out of a bomber or growler too?

Do you drink wine from the bottle or scotch.....

I thought it was well accepted that bottles are generally storage containers, while glasses are for consumption.

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  17. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (680) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

I had a good time reading this thread as I typically pour into a glass, to let the beer decant, warm and to get a good head to really enjoy the aroma. However, I understand going straight from the bottle of can, it's simple and the experience isn't DRASTICALLY (but it IS noticeably) different. However, saying that smell has NO affect on taste is just patently false. The way our brain receives taste starts with our nose as the beer (or food or whatever we are deciding to ingest) nears our mouth and we begin to smell it. The reason that we strive to have a nice head on the beer or for residual lacing to be present is because they make the aroma a lot more powerful during the drinking session, and that my friend has big implications for taste.

18. I don't buy bombers or growlers and I mentioned beer, not wine or scotch, seems some are offended someone might drink beer in a different manner from these or that they may use something other than someone else's approved method.

19. I can't remember the last time that I DIDN'T pour into a glass.

RobertColianni likes this.
  20. BTW, I respect rocdoc's position that there are many ways to enjoy beer, and am OK if someone else likes it in a glass, but I will continue to enjoy beer the way I like it best, from the bottle!

21. CincyTK

CincyTK Aficionado (195) Ohio Dec 21, 2010

Glass .... always

22. kpodolanko

kpodolanko Aficionado (100) Texas Dec 7, 2012

I am appalled that so many of you "craft beer drinkers" would actually drink from the bottle. Half of your sense of taste comes from smell. Pouring a thick head is crucial to picking up complex aromas, thus adding to the overall flavor enjoyment of the beer. Furthermore, drinking from the bottle, regardless of alcoholic beverage, makes you look white-trashy.

Wingfan13 likes this.
  23. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Always and I mean always from a glass my man.

24. Yes on both questions.

25. Fair enough then. To each his own mate!

26. Better "white-trashy" then pretentious out-of-tocuh elitist/snob.

kpodolanko likes this.
  27. This one is tricky. Taste and smell are independent of one another. However, taste and smell are both components of flavor, along with texture and temperature. So flavor is dependent on smell. The brain processes taste, texture, temperature, and smell together and we interpret this as flavor. This is why the flavor of a beer is different when cold or at room temperature, when exposed to one's nostrils or not, and when swished about in the mouth or immediately swallowed. I would have included a specific "taste" comparison but no one drinks a beer without letting it flow over their taste buds.

There is also the chemistry involved with pouring a beer, or wine, and allowing it to chemically interact with oxygen, so if you really wanted to take the glass pour experience to the extreme, enjoy a beer in a 100% oxygen environment. Anyone have a hyperbaric chamber? This is another reason why some beer enthusiasts enjoy their beer directly from the initial container as opposed to poured into a glass. Some of us enjoy the flavor of mild oxydation, and some of us do not. Some of us enjoy DARK TOAST, and some of us enjoy VERY LIGHT TOAST; this is a comparable principle in terms of flavor and how various individuals enjoy the exact same food or beverage.

28. My preference is to pour a beer into a glass, and let it warm up a little as I drink it. The exception is when I am out at a party or get together of some sort. When I'm drinking big flats or Michelob or Hell Or High Watermelon on a boat, at a party, or any other setting where I want to drink the contents and toss the container, I avoid glasses and typically drink beers that are meant to be consumed in those environments. Similarly, you'll never see me drinking a Le Baladin Xyauyu at a 4th of July boat party, beers that good are reserved for dining room tables, couches, and quite corners in a back room at partys........ in a glass.

29. haddon

haddon Savant (285) Kentucky Jul 13, 2009

Interesting. I think almost the exact opposite of you on this topic.

RobertColianni likes this.
  30. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

This is all an inside joke, right ? More aroma from a bottle ? Taste has nothing to do with smell ?

31. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I'm not sure that the OP is serious, or is just messing with our heads. If so, poor job.

32. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I totally disagree that pouring into a glass diminishes the flavor. This is simply not true. First, pouring allows the beer to react to the air similar to decanting a wine. Secondly, flavor is not just accepted by the taste buds but also through the nose. The only way u can do this is from a glass. Sight is the final sense that is involved and you can experience the color, head, lacing, etc which can not really be experienced from the bottle.

33. MystikCelt

MystikCelt Savant (305) New York Jun 11, 2011

The only beers I'll drink out of the bottle at home are Schlitz '60's formula for the nostalgia, or Brooklyn Ale, which just happens to go great straight out of the bottle with pizza.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do... so, yeah, if I'm out somewhere and I'm drinking a Bud or something to fit in with the group, then that'll be out of a bottle too, but at that point it's just drinking to be social.

If it's a craft beer and I'm home, or with friends of a mind, or a craft bar, I'll go with the glass appropriate to the beer.

34. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

Keep it simple: Caldera IPA, straight out of the "yellow can." Life is good...

35. Anyone who thinks that smell/aroma is independent of experiencing peak enjoyment of a beer needs to hold their nose while eating dinner tonight. (Or recall how off-flavored your food tasted the last time that you had a good head cold.) You simply won't enjoy the food as much.

36. Love this reply.

37. Fine, will do. I call BS on what you wrote.

38. Yes on last two questions.

39. I'm dead serious.