1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drinking out of bottle/can vs. pouring in to glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by happy4hoppybeer, Dec 8, 2012.

1. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I always pour into a glass,always.
    Unless I'm on a beach,then my Sea Hag stays in the can.........;)

W/that being said,Dogfish 120 min. outta the bottle sounds a bit hardcore....lol.

Cheers

2. I drink my BMC's out of the can/bottle and for some reason I like SNPA better out of the bottle. Other than that, I hardley ever drink without pouring into a glass.

3. I find that the can and the bottle really diminish the flavor as well; I prefer to siphon directly from the fermenter into my mouth.

Arodnum1 likes this.
  4. I'm a bottle drinker and proud of it. Only for 12oz though, anything bigger gets the glass pour.

5. The only time I drink from the bottle is at my mother-in-law's house where she insists that beer should be poured into a frozen mug.

squirrely2005 likes this.
  6. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

I like to strap the nipple of a baby bottle right on top of my Cantillon and suck away!

7. Come back after dinner and tell me how it went. ;)

8. Why is anyone still talking to this idiot? I'm ashamed he lives in my state.

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  9. sholle

sholle Aficionado (175) Montana Jan 2, 2011

[​IMG]

cans, as bottles are not as welcome at the top of Lone Peak, where I'z be goin all winter

10. Takes on to know one;)

11. Sounds like we have an underage boy on our hands

RobertColianni likes this.
  12. I drank ZD out of the bottle last week and it was still glorious.

But my preference is glassware. Naturally.

13. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

This argument fails based solely on serving size.
    1 12oz beer = 1 serving. 1 750ml bottle of scotch = 15+ servings. 1 750ml bottle of wine = 4+ servings (typically). One pours a glass of scotch because the bottle is not expected to be consumed in one sitting. Whist beer, in a 12oz format, is expected to be consumed in one serving. Same goes for wine, growlers, bombers, most people aren't going to sit down and have a bottle of scotch in one sitting.

Personally, I like pouring into a glass. Get a better looking drink, and some more aroma's to boot.

14. To be honest right or wrong it all comes down to logistics. Large bottle I always use a glass. I prefer to drink pale ales and ipas out of the bottle especially if I'm going to be consuming it more casually so i don't lose carbonation which helps compliment the hops

happy4hoppybeer likes this.
  15. I'll give you that.

I was more implying the bottle as a storage of liquid and glasses as consumption vessels.

16. I'd say you're about a decade off.

17. Unfortunately, your nose is outside the opening where it can't really take in those wonderful aromas:(

18. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

I drink APA's and session beers out of the can (if it's not the first time drinking that beer). Mainly SNPA, Bitter American, or Dale's. They're perfect for busy weekends of house work where I can set my beer down beside a log splitter or miter saw. A glass wouldn't be convenient in these situations.

Other than that, always pour into a glass.

19. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

I always pour into a glass. I also use silverware when eating dinner. I can't believe this is an actual thread...

20. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

You eat pizza with silverware?

21. The pearl-clutching in this thread is hilarious. I go for a glass, all things considered.

However, I have managed to drink a craft beer directly out of what it was sold in and lived to tell about it so MAYBE... just maybe... it's not worth having an aneurysm over.

22. Your loss. But hey, to each their own. BTW, you're missing out on a ton of aromas that actually enhance the drinking experience (to the max) My .02

23. I always use glass, I even pour my 'Gansett's and High Lifes on occasion into glasses but most of the time those are drank right from the can or bottle. I don't know, there's something about the appearance of a nicely poured glass of beer that I just love, I guess I am sucker for good head and lacing, but hey, who isn't? Another thing is experimenting with new glass ware and collecting different glass styles. And I would agree that aroma suffers when drank from the container. More pros to using glass imo.

24. ksodemann

ksodemann Aficionado (195) Missouri Nov 29, 2012

Always use a proper glass

25. I prefer the glass unless I'm working around the house or I'm drinking Shlitz Malt Liquor then I take the paper bag and deftly twist it around the neck to form fit it to the bottle.

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  26. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I prefer to use a glass most of the time. But I have no problem drinking from the bottle or can.

27. TND

TND Initiate (20) Dec 13, 2012

When I'm home i drink out bottle, can beer i drink out of glass with a straw. When i use a straw out of a glass-can it's just better to me drink faster and taste better. But do love bottle beer tho hands down.

28. Always a glass!

29. If a brewer grabs a taste from the production line he does not pour it into a bottle first does he?

Providence likes this.
  30. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

I like to drink my beer out of a bottle with a straw. Yeah, right.

31. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I'm about to pop a couple of World Wide Stouts into my beer helmet.

Y'all are doin' it wrong...just sayin'.

32. burri

burri Aspirant (40) Cyprus Nov 11, 2012

If im home, i usually prefer glass, it just makes it classy, you can smell the beer, see the beer, and feel the beer

33. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

I only drink out of the bottle if I don't have a glass. I think its a shame to see someone drink a nice beer out of the bottle without being able to smell it.

34. Tamarack22

Tamarack22 Savant (280) Minnesota May 19, 2011

You learn a lot about a beer from pouring it into a glass. Keeping it in the container limits your knowledge of said beer. You're just not getting the most out of the experience.

The OP should consider some type of feeding tube setup. Bypassing the sight/smell senses has improved his experience, by that logic I can only assume bypassing taste would deliver the ultimate drinking experience.

35. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I don't like posting on beer advocate because lots of other people post on beer advocate, and I think it's pretty douchey.

36. KaslD

KaslD Initiate (0) California Nov 25, 2012

I am white-trashy. So what? Wanna fight about it?

37. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Heady Topper - can. Always the can.

38. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

You trollin'!

39. Always a glass unless I am tailgating or on a beach and pulling a cold one out of a cooler.

40. LAD

LAD Aficionado (195) Texas Apr 16, 2008

Do you have any facts to back up your statement that most breweries up their CO2 volume for bottles?