1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drinking out of bottle/can vs. pouring in to glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by happy4hoppybeer, Dec 8, 2012.

1. If something smells good i'll try it. If it smells bad forget it.

2. Bottles go into glasses.
    Cans go into glasses unless the reason for having the cans is to avoid breakage.

3. This is the future of experiencing beer. You never FULLY experience the nuances of a craft brew until the foam pours out your nose after a good shotgunning.
    [​IMG]

4. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Always pour it...hopefully into a glass and not the drain but hey maybe someone wants to try drinking it straight from the drain pipe...

5. Glass always, unless it's PBR or Heady Topper...or I'm at they beach with something from Oskar Blues.

6. Lad:
    One example from BYO: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale draft beer is different from its bottled cousin in that the draft form is a little darker and has a lower original gravity compared to the bottled version.

7. More durian for me!!!!

8. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (290) New York Dec 13, 2011

I always pour into a glass

9. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I pour it into a glass if at all possible. But I'm not overly particular about the glass shape. I pretty much use a pint glass for everything.

10. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I tend to like pouring because I can smell while I'm drinking, and that, of course, helps get the most out of the beer. Between a can and bottle though, I'd prefer drinking out of a can ... for whatever reason, I feel like the beer tastes better. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and PBR are better out of a can as opposed to a bottle.

11. Aside from direct conversations with brewers, brewery reps and a radio interview I heard a few years back from Auggie Busch (I know GASSSP) directly stating that Budweiser's (I know GASSSP again) prefered CO2 serving volume is lower than the volume in the bottle, no. Maybe the word "most" could be replaced with "many". And perhaps a more clear statement would be that many breweries desired CO2 volume in the glass is slightly lower than the volume in the bottle. The desired (lower) volume is achieved during a pour into a serving vessel.

tgchief likes this.
  12. This makes ZERO sense.

BoneyardBrewer and GennyCreamAle like this.
  13. Oh wait, this whole thread is a joke, isn't it?

Schwantz likes this.
  14. a quick search yielded this:
    http://www.pwbrewing.net/pour-hef-like-a-pro/
    "While in your Hefeweizen Catcher stance let the pour hit the side of the glass gently and as horizontal as possible. This will maximize the surface of bubbles so they can escape with minimal alcohol abuse"

15. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

OK...Have read five pages of this nonsense, so I will play the innocent noob and say WTF is the freakin' point?

I'll play.I like mine from a glass usually, but if from the bottle or the can is the only way to drink it, gimme the beer and forget about it. If that makes me a beer heathen or hypocrite, I will get over it. And I like a glass just because I like using a glass, like the feel of it, like the look of the beer in it. Either way, it's beer and I will help it fulfill its destiny to get in my stomach.

C'mon, man...five pages??? This wound up over something even I have seen beaten to death in the short time I have been here?

Here is a basic sensory primer from The Ohio State University for those actually interested.

http://www.tastingscience.info/Explained/explains.htm.

Short version, taste and smell are different sensory attributes, but both contribute to the sensation of flavor along with temperature and texture. So everybody's right. Yay. A quick search will find quite a few reliable resources on sensory science.

Carry on...

16. BelgBeerGeek

BelgBeerGeek Disciple (70) Belgium Nov 11, 2012

Bottle = always into a glass.
    Can = sometimes glass sometimes can, if i've tried it before i have no problems drinking out of the can.
    If i havent had it before then i'll always pour at least a bit into a glass to see what colour it is.
    But for example Heady Topper and Oskar Blues say they want you to drink it out of the can, so i kinda respect the intentions of the brewery :)

17. kpodolanko

kpodolanko Aficionado (100) Texas Dec 7, 2012

Yes I do!

18. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

What the fuck does going for a "snoot" mean?

Does everyone do this?

19. Sometimes you just want to rip it from the bottle.
    Examples:
    yard or house work
    working on your vehicle
    hanging at an outdoor bbq
    I went on a bike ride this past weekend and as soon as a put my bike in the garage, I beelined it straight to the fridge and cranked open a Two Hearted Ale. Once the bottle hit my lips and the sweet nectar hit my mouth, I was a happy guy.
    And sometimes you just want the damn beer and not have to worry about grabbing a glass, waiting for the head to go away.

BeerNDoggerel likes this.
  20. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

Shoe!

Always. Drink. Beer. From. A. Shoe.

Preferably a woman's pump. At an over the top party.

Although, the German place down the street has boots. Made out of glass. Might have to try one of those.

21. akakii

akakii Aficionado (125) Virginia Jun 18, 2009

I drink straight from the bottle/can when I don't care what the beer tastes like.

22. Heady is better in the can, that is it.

23. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I'm going back to Haffenreffer 40's...wait...CRAP....plastic, paper, or reusable bring yer own bag...dang nothin is easy...

24. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

as the late great michael jackson would say if your not using a glass then you are wasting your money

LeRose likes this.
  25. tgchief

tgchief Savant (305) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

Please use proper glassware unless emergency self hydration situation exists. If so, then gulp yourself to safety from any vessel containing beer.

MinorThreat likes this.
  26. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

maybe I meant a "snort" - easy does it - cheers!

27. /facepalm

28. Amen to that brother!

29. I guess if i was broke and out and forced to drink pbr ( oh the humanity), I would be ok with the can. That is the one and only exception. Well that and corona minis ( somehow the smaller bottle makes it all better).

30. LAD

LAD Aficionado (195) Texas Apr 16, 2008

I don't always drink out of a glass but when I do I prefer Dos Equis.