Drinking out of bottle/can vs. pouring in to glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by happy4hoppybeer, Dec 8, 2012.

1. If something smells good i'll try it. If it smells bad forget it.

2. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Advocate (570) New York Dec 9, 2011 Verified

Bottles go into glasses.
    Cans go into glasses unless the reason for having the cans is to avoid breakage.

3. This is the future of experiencing beer. You never FULLY experience the nuances of a craft brew until the foam pours out your nose after a good shotgunning.
    [​IMG]

4. theCoder

theCoder Savant (365) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011 Subscriber

Always pour it...hopefully into a glass and not the drain but hey maybe someone wants to try drinking it straight from the drain pipe...

5. Glass always, unless it's PBR or Heady Topper...or I'm at they beach with something from Oskar Blues.

6. Lad:
    One example from BYO: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale draft beer is different from its bottled cousin in that the draft form is a little darker and has a lower original gravity compared to the bottled version.

7. More durian for me!!!!

8. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (300) New York Dec 13, 2011

I always pour into a glass

9. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I pour it into a glass if at all possible. But I'm not overly particular about the glass shape. I pretty much use a pint glass for everything.

lightman1 likes this.
  10. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Champion (855) Michigan Jun 18, 2012 Verified

I tend to like pouring because I can smell while I'm drinking, and that, of course, helps get the most out of the beer. Between a can and bottle though, I'd prefer drinking out of a can ... for whatever reason, I feel like the beer tastes better. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and PBR are better out of a can as opposed to a bottle.

11. MinorThreat

MinorThreat Advocate (615) Nebraska Apr 7, 2008 Verified

Aside from direct conversations with brewers, brewery reps and a radio interview I heard a few years back from Auggie Busch (I know GASSSP) directly stating that Budweiser's (I know GASSSP again) prefered CO2 serving volume is lower than the volume in the bottle, no. Maybe the word "most" could be replaced with "many". And perhaps a more clear statement would be that many breweries desired CO2 volume in the glass is slightly lower than the volume in the bottle. The desired (lower) volume is achieved during a pour into a serving vessel.

tgchief likes this.
  12. This makes ZERO sense.

BoneyardBrewer and GennyCreamAle like this.
  13. Oh wait, this whole thread is a joke, isn't it?

Schwantz likes this.
  14. MinorThreat

MinorThreat Advocate (615) Nebraska Apr 7, 2008 Verified

a quick search yielded this:
    http://www.pwbrewing.net/pour-hef-like-a-pro/
    "While in your Hefeweizen Catcher stance let the pour hit the side of the glass gently and as horizontal as possible. This will maximize the surface of bubbles so they can escape with minimal alcohol abuse"

15. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (630) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011 Verified

OK...Have read five pages of this nonsense, so I will play the innocent noob and say WTF is the freakin' point?

I'll play.I like mine from a glass usually, but if from the bottle or the can is the only way to drink it, gimme the beer and forget about it. If that makes me a beer heathen or hypocrite, I will get over it. And I like a glass just because I like using a glass, like the feel of it, like the look of the beer in it. Either way, it's beer and I will help it fulfill its destiny to get in my stomach.

C'mon, man...five pages??? This wound up over something even I have seen beaten to death in the short time I have been here?

Here is a basic sensory primer from The Ohio State University for those actually interested.

http://www.tastingscience.info/Explained/explains.htm.

Short version, taste and smell are different sensory attributes, but both contribute to the sensation of flavor along with temperature and texture. So everybody's right. Yay. A quick search will find quite a few reliable resources on sensory science.

Carry on...

16. BelgBeerGeek

BelgBeerGeek Disciple (70) Belgium Nov 11, 2012

Bottle = always into a glass.
    Can = sometimes glass sometimes can, if i've tried it before i have no problems drinking out of the can.
    If i havent had it before then i'll always pour at least a bit into a glass to see what colour it is.
    But for example Heady Topper and Oskar Blues say they want you to drink it out of the can, so i kinda respect the intentions of the brewery :)

17. kpodolanko

kpodolanko Aficionado (110) Texas Dec 7, 2012

Yes I do!

18. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

What the fuck does going for a "snoot" mean?

Does everyone do this?

19. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Champion (975) California Nov 2, 2012 Verified

Sometimes you just want to rip it from the bottle.
    Examples:
    yard or house work
    working on your vehicle
    hanging at an outdoor bbq
    I went on a bike ride this past weekend and as soon as a put my bike in the garage, I beelined it straight to the fridge and cranked open a Two Hearted Ale. Once the bottle hit my lips and the sweet nectar hit my mouth, I was a happy guy.
    And sometimes you just want the damn beer and not have to worry about grabbing a glass, waiting for the head to go away.

BeerNDoggerel likes this.
  20. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (410) Illinois Mar 13, 2011 Verified Subscriber

Shoe!

Always. Drink. Beer. From. A. Shoe.

Preferably a woman's pump. At an over the top party.

Although, the German place down the street has boots. Made out of glass. Might have to try one of those.

21. akakii

akakii Aficionado (125) Virginia Jun 18, 2009

I drink straight from the bottle/can when I don't care what the beer tastes like.

22. BeerNFoodDood

BeerNFoodDood Savant (270) Colorado Jul 7, 2012 Verified

Heady is better in the can, that is it.

23. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (630) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011 Verified

I'm going back to Haffenreffer 40's...wait...CRAP....plastic, paper, or reusable bring yer own bag...dang nothin is easy...

24. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (385) Florida Mar 16, 2012 Verified

as the late great michael jackson would say if your not using a glass then you are wasting your money

LeRose likes this.
  25. tgchief

tgchief Savant (315) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

Please use proper glassware unless emergency self hydration situation exists. If so, then gulp yourself to safety from any vessel containing beer.

MinorThreat likes this.
  26. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (380) New York Nov 16, 2007

maybe I meant a "snort" - easy does it - cheers!

27. /facepalm

28. jhartley

jhartley Poobah (1,135) Florida Aug 22, 2010 Verified

Amen to that brother!

29. I guess if i was broke and out and forced to drink pbr ( oh the humanity), I would be ok with the can. That is the one and only exception. Well that and corona minis ( somehow the smaller bottle makes it all better).

30. LAD

LAD Aficionado (195) Texas Apr 16, 2008

I don't always drink out of a glass but when I do I prefer Dos Equis.

31. I've been buying more cans since the weather got warm. They fit in a cooler better and crush down for less trash. But I can't help but feel the beer tastes better from a glass. I can only assume it's because of the way I can fill my mouth better from a glass, without the "gurgling" for air to replace the liquid in the can as you drink. I have had Sculpin, Big Eye, Union Jack and now Shape of hops to come in cans in the last few weeks and every one was better from a glass. Am I right or crazy?

edd562, Sixpoint and tlema1 like this.
  32. tlema1

tlema1 Advocate (715) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008 Verified

If available, I always use a glass...for not Bud Light beers

TheDoctor, Teddy_Hopper and edd562 like this.
  33. It's all context-dependent. You will get more flavour from a glass, in large part because you're also getting more of the smell, and smell actually makes up a pretty big percentage of taste.

Having said that, there are some beers (and I'm not even talking macro, BMC stuff, but a lot of pale ales, lighter session ales, etc.,) that beg to be crushed from a cold can, and contexts--like a hot summer day--where a can just feels *right*.

34. hopsputin

hopsputin Advocate (625) New Jersey Apr 1, 2012 Verified

Glass if I have one.

In my mind, you no crazy

creepinjeeper likes this.
  35. JimmyTheDook

JimmyTheDook Aficionado (120) Texas Oct 27, 2011

Smell is most of your taste. The small can opening restricts more than a glass.

36. jhavs

jhavs Savant (355) New Hampshire Apr 16, 2015 Verified Subscriber

I prefer most poured into a glass, but I do drink HT from the can. The cans tell you it should be enjoyed from the can. I have poured it into a glass before, but I enjoy it more from the can. Not sure if this is in my head or not.

37. Maybe buy Sly Fox canned beer so that you can have a ‘twofer’: can and glass all in one!

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

38. ovaltine

ovaltine Champion (815) Minnesota Apr 6, 2010 Verified

This beer DEMANDS that you drink it from the can.

[​IMG]

I've had it both ways (from the can and in a glass) and liked it better from a glass, as is my preference for any beer. Let the olfactory senses do their work!!!

39. Nmelione

Nmelione Savant (415) New Jersey Dec 28, 2014 Verified Subscriber

always a glass

RobNewton likes this.
  40. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Poobah (1,185) New York Jul 25, 2004 Verified Subscriber

Beer from a bottle or from a can is always going to taste better when poured properly into clean glassware. But its not just about taste - its about sanitation. The neck of a bottle is rarely clean and/or sanitary, simply because people grab bottles of beer by the neck all the time - and a beer is often handled many times before its finally consumed. That being said, if drinking right from a bottle/can, clean glass is less influential on the taste of beer than a clean can. Putting your mouth on a can will make something taste metallic - however, glass is more neutral.

Of course, if your beer is unsightly, you may want to drink direct from the bottle or can, as we drink beer with our eyes before our mouths. But the lid of a can is far from sanitary (it has a basin which collects dirt and debris) so any conscious brewer-taster would never recommend that.