1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drinking Sessions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by char005, Apr 4, 2013.

?

session preferences

1. One style/beer

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Variety

37 vote(s)
    88.1%
  1. When you plan on having more than a couple beers in a session, say on a weekend with friends, do you folks prefer a variety of beers or to stick with a single style/beer? I have found that while I used to like to never drink the same beer twice at a craft beer bar, my palate would get fatigued and I couldn't appreciate the later beers as much. One style/beer for a session or a variety?

2. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Whenever I have a buddy over and we decide to have a few it is usually just a variety of stuff that sounds good.

seakayak likes this.
  3. I usually start with a fresh IPA or saison and go on to stout/porters or belgian ales.

4. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Usually a mix of IPA/DIPA/Sours/Stouts.

5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I like to keep it within the ballpark. I find that when I mix up pale ales and stouts for instance, my palate gets fatigued a lot more quickly. So I'll keep it to IPAs/DIPAs in a cluster and porters/stouts in another. Belgians, sours (depending on the specific kind) and barleywines sort of make up another cluster. Occasionally we'll switch from one to another in one session but once we do that we aren't planning to go back.

6. Swik

Swik Savant (290) Indiana Oct 2, 2012

IPA all the way!!!

7. If I am going to drink, for example, six beers in one night, it usually goes like this:

Beer 1: Czech Pils/German Lager
    Beer 2: Czech Pils/German Lager
    Beer 3: Imperial Stout, Quad or some kind of large format "special" beer split between people
    Beer 4: DIPA
    Beer 5: Czech Pils/German Lager
    Beer 6: Czech Pils/German Lager

8. If I am at a place with a shitty beer selection, I'll usually stick to 1 style. But a lot of places around me have really extensive bottles lists, so I tend to try a bunch of different stuff.

I'm getting nervous, though. Lately, when I switch up my beers, I am getting nasty hangovers.. I am getting old..

9. Usually only have 1 or 2 per session but the second one is always different from the first

10. I chose variety because I do most of my drinking at home and I just drink whatever I am in the mood for that night, often starting lighter, lower ABV and moving up and then ending the night with a lower ABV beverage.

When I go out I usually find one beer and keep going on that throughout the night, but truthfully I rarely go to places with great variety.

11. Usually there is no order to my drinking, just whatever sounds good at the time.