1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dropping off 10 boxes at a time - bad idea?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Greenplastic615, Jan 22, 2013.

1. I rarely ever drop off more than 2, maybe 3 boxes at a time, but with the freezing weather in the Northeast, I have a couple boxes stacking up in my living room that I need to send out Monday before it gets really cold again. In total, it's about 9-10 boxes (5 trades and a really big BiF...).

Would you recommend dropping off 3-4 boxes each at 2-3 different FedEx locations, or is that just paranoid? There are a couple local drop-off spots so I could do that without too much of a hassle, but would rather not.

Appreciate any input!
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I would take them to the same drop off place. I am sure 10 boxes at a time isn't the most they have seen.
    pschul4, GrumpyOldTroll and claaark13 like this.
  3. Bang away at one Fedex. I plan on dropping off 6 boxes tomorrow. One stop drop!
  4. If you don't have one, buy a dolly. Best trading investment I've made so far.
  5. Think about it this way. If you drop all 10 boxes off at one time and they notice something suspicious with 1 box, they might inspect all of them.
    maximum12 likes this.
  6. I'm fairly certain your bank account thinks its a horrible idea.
    I don't see a problem with one location. It's busy season for artisan olive oil.
    Hanzo, DSlim71, RC0032 and 3 others like this.
  7. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

Is this location someplace that you frequently drop boxes off? If they recognize/know you, I don't see it as an issue.
  8. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (380) California Mar 4, 2011

Just tell them your wife sells a lot of Etsy or eBay shit and they won't question you again :)
    Hanzo, yamar68 and Greenplastic615 like this.
  9. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

This is one of those rare instances where eBay is our friend. Lie out of your ass (or your mouth, if you prefer).
    cocoapuph likes this.
  10. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (530) California May 3, 2011

Get ready to get broke off...I just dropped off 4 packages for 2 trades and 1 large BIF and it was $150 just for shipping...although I did hook up the boxes PHAT...

Cheers!
  11. I have a shell company name on my shipping label, so 10 boxes is no big deal, also it's a maple company from Vermont so they never bother the boxes.
    maximum12 likes this.
  12. gn0sis

gn0sis Savant (290) Massachusetts Dec 17, 2007

awesome.
  13. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

My buddy sometimes makes homemade pickles, so he said he's shipping those and brought some by to give to the staff. He's never been questioned again. You can always go for something like that if you're worried (of course you can't do pickles, but could do BBQ sauce, hot sauce, olive oil, etc).
  14. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

This is my biggest fear. I never send more than a couple boxes a day. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I'd be hysterical if one little 12 oz. bottle blew its cap & endangered 10 BOXES OF BEER.