1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dry Dock Update

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by drumrboy22, Nov 8, 2012.

1. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (460) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

With Dry Dock's 7th Anniversary approaching this weekend, I decided to put together a few articles on past, present and future happenings with the brewery for the blog I write. Kevin was kind enough to sit down and talk beer for a few hours. We tried this years batch of Bligh's and I dug out a bottle of a Framboise he bottled 6-years ago that we shared.

At any rate, there's two posts up if you're interested. The first covers '05 through the end of the year.
    http://brewtallyinsane.com/2012/11/...at-dry-dock-brewing-part-1-the-first-7-years/

The second covers the future of the brewery including the new facility, brewhouse, canning line, foeder and more.
    http://brewtallyinsane.com/2012/11/...a-beer-at-dry-dock-brewing-part-2-the-future/

Figured a few would be interested in what they're up to these days. Cheers!
    kwijibo61 and ucsbmullet like this.
  2. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Hope this expansion can get their stuff up to Fort Collins. I was late to the party with these guys, I only checked their DIPA out this past year, and I definitely did not get my fill before I moved up here. There have been too many times when I was at the liquor store where I caught myself wishing I could have found some Seven Seas, definitely my favorite IIPA from this fine state.

Also, it appears they wont be canning that Breakwater Pale Ale? That's the one beer of theirs I really want to try, reading the reviews on this site it sounds right up my alley.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Breakwater is sometimes their forgotten beer. Between Seven C's, Enterprise, and now Hop Abomination it seems like that one gets lost at times. It's one of my favorites, though. Very grassy and fresh tasting with just a tiny citrus zing.

It's crazy to look back at what DD has done in such a short period of time is crazy. They went from being a "brewery in a closet" that even made Wit's End and Caution look large to a Juggernaut of medals with one of the largest and best tasting rooms anywhere.
    drumrboy22 likes this.
  4. drumrboy22

So right now they self-distribute with 2-full time employees delivering bombers and kegs to Denver area stores, bars and restaurants. Next year they'll go with an outside distributor. You should start getting cans and bombers up that way in 2013. The current plan is to expand throughout CO next year and go out-of-state in 2014.
    denver10 likes this.
  5. I was in Japan over the summer and found them there in a couple of stores.
  6. pkeigs

pkeigs Initiate (0) Colorado Apr 2, 2008

I have been told that we can expect them in Northern Colorado in December at the earliest. I am excited and hope we can get some Blighs this year, it is hard for me to get down to Denver to buy bottles, and this is one of the ones I missed last year.
    denver10 likes this.
  7. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

A 7 barrel system with two seven barrel fermentors make a 1 barrel and a 5 barrel system look large?
  8. drumrboy22

I'm guessing he's referring to Dry Dock's first 3-4 years, before the expansion and 7 barrel system.
  9. dauss

Their first system was a 7 barrel and currently being used at Elk Mountain...
  10. drumrboy22

Yeah, suppose the old system was also a 7bbl. My mistake. System size aside, the square footage of both breweries mentioned are quite a bit larger than the original Dry Dock space. All of this matters about as much as how many tacos I'm going to eat for dinner tonight. Cheers! Hey, how's U of MD these days?
    franklinn and Tolann like this.
  11. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I was actually thinking more about the size of the place - not brewing capacity.
    It was the smallest tasting room I've encountered to date, and includes some pretty tiny places over on the other side of the state.
  12. dauss

School is going great and having a lot of fun. I spent my summer in Denver and I'll be back soon.
  13. drumrboy22

Nice. Hope Sandy didn't jack things up out that way. Take care man!