1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dry Dock?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by poonamibaxter, Apr 17, 2013.

1. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Anyone else think their beers are off lately? I picked up a bottle of the DIPA tonight from Davidsons and was not impressed. It didn't have much carbonation or hops. Davidsons sales a good bit of the DIPA, they are sold out sometimes so I doubt it was old. Even if it was old it wouldn't explain the lack of carbonation. It tasted and had the same color like the can of Hop Abomination I had a month or so ago. I didn't care for that either. Blighs this year seemed to be lacking some carbonation also.

Are they having some issues with the brewer leaving or have my tastes changed? I used to love the DIPA. I would tell friends from out of town to order that instead of Pliny. It was my go to extra when I would make trades.

I am alone in this?
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  2. I noticed this with the DIPA in December when I was in town visiting family. I bought bottles at 2 locations and the brewery and all of the bottles of DIPA were a mess. I chalked it up to dialing in the new brew system at the time, but who knows. I only get it every couple of months, but a year or so ago I definately preferred it over Pliny.
  3. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,005) Colorado May 19, 2005

I haven't tried one lately. Could be affects from brewing system and new brewmaster--but I think he's a hop head anyway.
  4. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

I've noticed this problem for a while myself, specifically with the DIPA. I enjoy Hop Abomination a lot, but I'd say over the last several months the DIPA has kinda been all over the place. More malty and sweeter than I remember, less of a hop bomb, IMO.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  5. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I haven't had a bottle of it...well, ever...but it's been fine in the taproom. Back when Doug took over, that's one of their few items I thought actually got a bit better. I wonder if it's related to the bottles, though.
    A friend of mine that knows their taproom well said one of his apricot cans was off. Mine have all been fine, but I do trust his opinion.
  6. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

That could be. I don't remember the last time I had it at the brewery, just bombers. I guess I will just have to head over and enjoy one on tap to see :)
  7. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

I haven't noticed anything off but haven't had the DIPA in awhile, mostly just the Wee Heavy as of late

As for the cans, the amber recipe, that's off. That stuff is disgusting.
  8. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

been a while since i purchased a DIPA because it seemed like it was falling off a bit. didnt know if it was old bottles or growing pains or what. definitely more malty than i recall. wish theyd date the bottles/cans, used to be one of my absolute faves.
  9. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

I don't know if I'd go that far. It's a little strange but still very good in my opinion. I love that it isn't a hop bomb like most other American "ambers".

Not sure if the recipe has changed though.
  10. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

It all comes down to dating the bottles. Best way to know what exactly we're drinking.
    hopfacebrew and joshclauss like this.
  11. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I've never had the Amber in cans, but they used to call that beer HMS Victory ESB. It won a World Beer Cup gold and several State Fair medals (a big deal in CO.) as an ESB. I'm sure it has probably changed a little over the years, but it's definitely not overtly flawed...at least in the taproom.
    If it's jacked up, I'd chalk that up to something in the packaging process.
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  12. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

Agreed. Bought one the other day and was wishing I knew how old it was. I don't care bout the others but at least date the DIPA! It's still in my fridge so I will get back on my opinion of it
    hopfacebrew likes this.