Dry Hopping ... Define "Too Far"

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ewright, Oct 5, 2012.

?

Which hop(s) would you use for dry hopping?

1. Ahtanum

20.0%
  2. Citra

92.0%
  3. Columbus

12.0%
  4. Other (respond below)

12.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

My last beer was an extremely tasty 7% IPA that I dry-hopped with 2.5 oz Amarillo and 1 oz Citra. I was planning to brew it again this weekend, but cannot find Amarillo anywhere in the area.

I was looking at some possible substitutions ... Ahtanum sounds like a Cascade-like hop with lower bitterness, Columbus is a high AA beer with great citrusy aromas. I want to keep the oz of Citra in my dry-hopping schedule. Is it crazy to use three different varieties in a dry hop? If not, would it make sense to split them out and add at different times, or drop them all in at once for 7 days?

If it makes any difference, the rest of the hopping schedule is

1 oz Citra first wort hopping, later boiled for 60 min
    3/4 oz Centennial for 15 min, 10 min, 5 min and flameout (total 3 oz)

Grain bill is 11# 2-row, 3# Munich, .5# Carared mashed at 152-154F. S-05 dry yeast for clean fermentation.

Thinking of 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Columbus and 2 oz of Ahtanum in the dry hop. Thoughts?

2. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

I personally find columbus very potent as a dry hop. Extremely grape-fruity too much so. I have no experience with ahtanum. If it's similar to cascade I'd go with that and citra and ditch the columbus as a dry hop but that's just me.

3. warchez

warchez Savant (285) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2004

Using a blend will certainly put a complexity into the aroma.
    If you really like that big floral punch in your IPA, I don't think you can go to far.
    Your plan of 1, 1, and 2 sounds fine with me. Its a great time to experiment with your dry hopping.

4. ewright

Absolutely! It's my favorite aspect of the style!

5. All of the above.

6. ewright

Oh, the horrors! LHBS is out of Citra for the year! Had to switch bittering over to Columbus and just drop the Citra from dry hopping schedule.

7. Regarding going "too far", my latest 10 gallon batch of DIPA was dry hopped with 6oz. Columbus, 3oz. Simcoe and 1.5oz. Chinook. The aroma was fantastic. Do a whirlpool/flameout addition too, you won't regret it.

8. Of the original three hops mentioned, I have only homebrewed with Citra. I made an all Citra hopped IPA in the spring of 2011 and a combo of Citra & Simcoe this past spring. I really enjoyed both beers. To my palate Citra has a flavor/aroma of tropical fruits.

Question to the OP: can you still get (or do you have) Ahtanum? I have not homebrewed with Ahtanum yet but I bought a case of Sam Adams Latitude 48 in the past and one of those IPAs were all Ahtanum hopped. Below is my assessment of that beer:

Ahtanum: The bottle states: Ahtanum hops contribute a balanced and typically “American” orange peel, piney and floral flavor to the brew. The only taste I perceived was citrus; I did not taste piney at all and maybe there was some floral there? I did enjoy this beer; the ‘best’ so far.

So, based upon this beer it seems to me that using Ahtanum for dry hopping would be good.

I have not homebrewed with Columbus but the few commercially brewed beers that used a lot of Columbus have not been very appealing to me. One was an IPA brewed by Hill Farmstead; Harlan IPA: Harlan is Edward’s slightly more aggressive alter-ego. Dry Hopped exclusively with Columbus hops. I am typically a huge fan of Hill Farmstead beers but Harlan was not a favorite of mine; it has a dank flavor/aroma to it that did not appeal to me.

So, I suppose I would suggest dry hopping solely with Ahtanum or if you intend to use some Columbus maybe something like 2.5 oz. Ahtanum and 1 oz. Columbus.

A question to the BA homebrewing community: when will vendors like Northern Brewer receive the 2012 crop of Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, etc.?

Cheers!

9. ewright

Yeah, I got 2 oz Ahtanum pellets and 1 oz Columbus leaf for dry hopping this batch. Will hit it with 3/4 oz Centennial leaf at 15, 10, 5 min and flameout.

I asked at my LHBS today about the new crop. His distributors haven't told him much yet... still a waiting game for now.