1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dry hopping tips?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by slickwilly68, Jan 25, 2013.

1. slickwilly68

slickwilly68 Initiate (15) Aug 13, 2012

Going to dry hop for the first time this weekend. Any tips or tricks I need to know?
  2. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

3. Some pro brewers throw in dry hops towards the tail end of fermentation while the beer is still active but i have had my best results throwing them in after the ferment is done. I let the pellets sit in there for 7-10 days, and if they don't naturally fall out of suspension at the end I put the fermenter in the fridge to goose em along. Dry hop in the high 60's-low 70's F for fast flavor extraction. I don't have whole leaf experience but I've heard they can stay in for longer than pellets without getting that green / vegetable like flavor.
  4. If you are not kegging, find some way to purge whatever you are dryhopping in.
  5. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Yep - dry hop ales while still in the fermentation temp range. If you have the means, after the dry hop period drop the temps to get the material to settle a bit right on top of the trub.

One thing I learned the hard way is if you are going to rack a heavily dry hopped beer, you may want to move the carboy/bucket to the final racking location a few hours/days ahead of the actual transfer. One time I tried moving my carboy from the fermentation chamber to an elevated workbench and immediately racked to the bottling bucket - it was hop clog city. I must have taken the bottling wand apart 10 times in that 6 gallon batch to remove the hop material.
  6. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

More than many home brewers dry-hop commando style but that technique has always produced less than good results in my brew closet. Can easily do w/out wand clogs and floaties.

Bag'em Danno!
    afrokaze likes this.