1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dry Hopping

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by tngolfer, Feb 24, 2012.

1. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (175) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

Must anything be done to the hops prior to dry hopping a beer?

How long is a recommended amount of time in the fermenter?
  2. moose2810

moose2810 Aspirant (45) Illinois Aug 31, 2010

Nope you can just toss em in when you are ready, or you can put them in a hop sack to contain them. The bag just makes it less messy, and if I use a bag I sanitize it first.

I wait until fermentation has completed before I add my hops and leave them in there for around 7 days.
  3. Hops are anti-microbial, so you can just dump them in, though many people put them in a hop bag. If you do place them in a bag, ensure that it is of sufficient size as they swell up many times their original size.

As for time 7-14 days is standard. Also make sure they are added after primary fermentation is complete.
  4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

As kjyost stated above, you can dump them in or put them in a bag. If I'm using pellets I tend to just dump them in, but if using whole/leaf hops, I use a bag to avoid a headache during racking. If using a bag, be sure to sanitize it by boiling in water or soaking in StarSan/Iodophor.

I tend to only dry hop for 5-7 days days @ 65-67 F, especially when doing multiple dry hoppings. 7-14 days is a good metric to use.
  5. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

Although my experience is limited, I dry hopped my English IPA after a week in the primary with two ounces of cascade pellets (added directly). Left it for another week, then bottled. Came out fantastic!

I should say my English IPA probably turned out a bit more like an American IPA, but who cares, it tastes great, and I'm very excited to have such a great beer on only my second batch (and first solo batch). It used Columbus for bittering, NB for flavor and aroma, and cascade for dry hopping.

I'm working on a dry-hopped American red recipe for my next batch. Definitely going to use some cascade*, and also an ounce of Amarillo too.

*partially because I have a lot of them, lol. But they also tasted great
  6. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Looking at your recipe, I'd say this is really an American IPA. At least if I had to choose between the two. IMO hops are the key.
  7. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

Yeah I called it an English IPA because that's what the original kit was supposed to make. The guy at the HBS had to mix up the ingredients a little because he was out of what the kit called for and substituted a couple of items (the hops I think, not sure don't have the original recipe in front of me).

I dry-hopped on my own (also wasn't in the recipe).

I think the yeast does give it a bit of an English taste, but it's still more of an American IPA.
  8. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

throw 'em right in. Time is key.
    I tend to wrap mine in sanitized gauze or muslin bag
    & let sit in the carboy for 7 (minimum) days. For me
    13 days seems to be the sweet spot for a sufficient
    hop aroma, but, really, you can let it sit for as long
    as you wish. Weighing down the hop-sack with a sterile
    weight or marble is ideal, but not entirely necessary.

cheers & good luck!
  9. dublthink

dublthink Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012

I dry hop for 7 days minimum and I don't use bags. What I do like to do is tie a sanitized bag around the racking tube outlet when I am racking over to the keg to catch/filter any hop debris that I pick up. This way I don't really have to worry too much about stirring up the hops, just suck em up and they will be filtered by the hop bag when leaving the racking cane tubing.

The reason I do not like to put my hops in a bag when dry hopping is that I heard that you don't fully utilize the hops and I want all the hop flavor possible.

If anyone has heard otherwise please advise.. thanks
  10. dublthink

dublthink Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012

that is so funny, I did the exact same thing on my first beer. the kit that came w/ the brewing kit was a brewers best, english pale ale kit and I wanted to "americanize it" and like yours turned out great... cheers