1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dry Yeast and Go-Ferm

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GreenKrusty101, Jan 19, 2013.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I have not used Go Ferm. But I did ask my LHBS lately if they had it, because I wanted to rehydrate a dry wine yeast. The very confident young fellow told me that although he had heard of Go Ferm, they didn't carry it, and that my best bet (if rehydrating) was to rehydrate in distilled water. God I hate the (this) LHBS.
  2. Goferm helps the yeast rehydrate with less damage. Read a long time ago that distilled water is not the way to go due to higher osmotic pressure on the yeast, boiled and cooled to the recommended temp. tap water is the way to go.

One guy I know who has multiple golds at the NHC for mead uses goferm to give the yeast a head start.
  3. I remember when some yeast packs/sachets said to "sprinkle on wort"...check out the "usage" guidelines now.

I'm hoping the "Belle Saison" yeast is as good as touted...or at least comparable to 3711 : )

Edit: Oops, it's a Belgian Saison...so probably not
  4. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

It's a new one for me. Although I mostly use liquid yeast, it's kind of exciting to see more variety available in dry yeasts. If it shows up in my LHBS cooler (they only carry dry) I might give it a try on an extract batch.

Edit: it looks like it is available only in 500 g quanitites, so would need to be repackaged somewhere in the distribution line. I've never seen repackaged dry yeast at my LHBS, so I may never give it try after all. But still may be a boon to dry yeast users.
  5. So far the only dry yeasts I use are US-05, Notty, and Windsor...those 3 work real well on a lot of different beers for me, but it's nice to have a choice on something like a Saison (maybe)...I'll be doing all-grain batches though to make sure it's not the extract that sucks...especially for A low,low finishing Saison. Cheers

6. Peter,

The Danstar Belle Saison yeast is available in 11 gm. packets. Williams Brewing is charging $4.50 for them.

Cheers!

Jack

7. Please report back your experience with using this yeast. The description sounds tasty:

“Aroma is fruity, spicy and peppery due to ester and phenol production, and does not display undesirable odours when properly handled.”

Cheers!
  8. pweis909

Yes, my optimism is a cautious one. Calling something a saison yeast and delivering on my hopes and expectations are entirely different things. I have played with several dry yeasts: US-05, Windsor, Nottingham, S-04, WB-06, T-58, S-23, and W 34/70. Some have been fine. Some did not bring expected results. I've provided a recap of my own dry yeast experiences, mostly as a way of procrastinating the house cleaning chores that lie ahead of me today, but also in case anyone is interested.

• I have always had good experiences with US-05 and Notty for American Ales and Windsor and Notty for English Ales. I've used these 05 and Notty more times than I can recall. I've used Windsor 3 times. It is more estery than Notty, but not in a bad way.
    • I've had good and bad experiences with S-04 for American and English Ales (sometimes has a doughy character). It worked well in one hoppy American pale ale, but the doughy flavor that I didn't like was apparent another American pale ale. I've also used it in a bitter and a cream ale that I remember not liking but don't have sufficient tasting notes to recall why. I'll probably stay away from this.
    • I used WB-06 1x for dampfbier (think weizen without the wheat) and it did not have a desired ester/phenolic balance (way too much phenolic character; no fruity character at all). I really did not like this flavor profile at al. I'll probably stay away from this.
    • I used T-58 twice, once for a mead, where it was fermented at 58F and quite neutral in character and once in a pale ale that tasted more like a weizen to me (more of a banana fruit character then I expected). It was not undesirable, but was unexpected. It might have been a better choice for that dampfbier. Maybe I'd try it again.
    • I've enjoyed an Classic American pils beer brewed with S-23, even though it was slightly fruity and therefore maybe not quite to style. I prefer W 34/70 as a dry yeast option for lagers. I used it once in schwarzbier and once in a Czech pils. It seemed a cleaner option than S-23. However, the pils was a split batch, in which a liquid strain was used for the other half, and I had no problems picking out the liquid strain as even cleaner in side by side tasting. I'd use these again, recognizing that I would probably brew something I would enjoy even though it is not quite up to style specs.
  9. Peter,

Thanks for that post on your dry yeast experiences. Now, pick up that toilet brush!;)

In the spirit of contributing I will also post my experiences:

· US-05: an excellent yeast for APA and American style IPAs
    · Nottingham: also an excellent yeast for APA and American style IPAs since it is so neutral. I have never used this yeast for English style ales.
    · Windsor: one of my preferred yeasts for Bitter Ales; I really, really like the esters this strain produces in my Bitter Ales.
    · S-04: I have used this to make English style ales which have dark malts (e.g., Northern English Brown Ale, Porters, etc.). I have always been happy with this yeast (for those styles).
    · Coopers: this is my preferred yeast for my Oatmeal Stouts; this strain makes an excellent Oatmeal Stout

I have used Munton’s dry yeast a few times many, many years ago when I started homebrewing. That yeast made nice beers.

Cheers!
  10. pweis909

So they do. I'm guessing Williams buys 500 g packs and repackages as 11 g packs, as the Danstar site suggests that they make the product available in this larger amount. So I could order it. It won't be a priority though. Too many other yeasts to try. On the other hand, I could imagine picking it up on a whim if I found it at the LHBS. And I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen, because they are small time and don't repackage anything.
  11. The packet doesn't look repackaged to me: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BELLE-SAISON-DRY-SAISON-YEAST-P3232C64.aspx
  12. pweis909

13. Please report back your experience with this yeast if you try it.

Cheers!

P.S. Now start cleaning!;)
  14. Fermentis is, evidently, still fine with that procedure, though I'm not sure what it says on the packet today. The spec sheet for US-05 includes the following immediately after the proper rehydration procedure is described:

"Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the wort using aeration or by wort addition."

Note that, as far as I can see, Fermentis does not recommend one procedure over the other.
  15. That's 1 dry yeast (US-05) I'm not worried about. I've probably brewed 70 batches with US-05 and it has never let me down...so much so that I haven't bothered to even read the instuctions/packet lately : )

Like Lance Armstrong...everyone is looking for some kind of edge...hence the rehydration and Go-Ferm.
    I think that might be a very bad analogy : )
  16. Update @ 3 weeks for Belle Saison yeast:

OG: 1.050
    FG: 1.005
    Hard to tell at this point what the flavor profile looks like as I used some Pomegranate in this one. In case anyone is wondering, I did not end up using the GoFerm when rehydrating, but did use some yeast nutrient in the boil. It appears the attenuation is < than WLP 565 as I had a slightly higher OG on that one and finished at 1.003 (both fermented @ 69*F)