1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Crimefish22, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Does anyone know when this is released?

Thanks,

Crimes

3. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Late Nov/early Dec IIRC.

4. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I know we're all tired of talking infection and Duck-Rabbit, but I can only hope this year's batch isn't infected. When it's not, it's one of my favorite beers. I love the stuff.

5. I recall picking it up just before Christmas the past few years.

6. Handle

Bumping this back up: I thought I heard that this one was due out this week (or maybe even last). Has anyone seen this year's batch around Charlotte, NC?

7. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Good bump. Same question for the Triangle. None at Durham TW or Beer Study in Chapel Hill as of yesterday.

How long does this one last on shelves typically?

8. Handle

It's usually around a decent while once it's here. I'd say a month or two?

Bluecane likes this.
  9. I think they might still have some at Peabody's in Boone. I was just in today and I recall seeing some.

10. Need the rabid duck too.

MrHolland10 likes this.
  11. Fixed that for you.

12. Handle

I should clarify: I'm only interested in this year's batch. I bought two six-packs last year and every single one was infected (though some further along than others). I'm not bashing them. I know these things happen. Paul's a good guy and that beer is probably in my top 10 when it's not infected (which I certainly hope is the case this year).

13. DR has more issues with infection than any other brewery I can think of. Until they get their sanitation under control my beer dollars will go elsewhere.

elgiacomo likes this.
  14. Handle

Likewise, and I hate saying that because prior to last year's countless claims of infection, they were one of my favorite breweries in the state. I'm a huge fan of the Milk Stout, Porter, Baltic Porter, Rabid Duck and Schwarzbier. I'm hoping the infected beers are a thing of the past. Waiting until I hear about this year's Baltic Porter before I purchase.

winbassett likes this.
  15. Its coming later than last yearr, IIRC.

16. Handle

Here's the response I got from them on Facebook: "We shipped kegs last week and will be shipping bottles within the next week or so!"

winbassett likes this.
  17. I really hope they land before I do my last round of shopping before I go back to OH (I leave on Friday at 1 pm). The people back there could really use some DR goodness.

Handle likes this.
  18. Brought this back up, as cases are flying out! It is VERY tasty this year, definitely back to normal! Snatch it up while you can!

winbassett and Handle like this.
  19. Handle

Thanks, Chris, I appreciate you reporting back and I'm so glad to hear it's back to normal. I'll be buying at least one six-pack when I see it next -- probably more, as I like to have this one throughout the year!

MrPeabodysBeard and winbassett like this.
  20. I just got a sixer last night at total wine on Capitol in Raleigh.

21. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

It's drinking very nicely right now! One of the smoothest brews around.

winbassett, Handle and oteixeira like this.
  22. You won't be disappointed buddy!!

Handle and winbassett like this.
  23. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

was drinking with one of their asst brewers this past weekend and he said they completely took apart and rebuilt their entire system over the summer to combat the infection issues they have had.

sad to hear some people have infected '11 Baltic Porters. it's one of the very few of theirs I enjoy. I last opened one a couple weeks ago and it was great - still sitting on a few bottles.

24. This is going for $12.99 a sixer at Sam's in Durham. I don't remember it being that high in previous years. Is that what others are paying?

25. I'm going to go hunt some down today and I'll let you know about here in CLT. I'm with Daniel, I adore this beer.

26. brawleys has it..had one last night and it was good!

27. Handle

I should've posted an update as well. Got a six-pack and had one New Year's Eve -- it was fantastic.

winbassett and hooligan74 like this.
  28. $14.99 here in Charlotte. Wouldn't have paid that much had i not been reassured that there were no issues with this release. and it's in fact delicious this year.

29. Got it at Good Bottle today for $2/bottle.

Uwftke26 likes this.
  30. I got it for $12.99 as well here in Raleigh and I was pretty happy. It seems like previous years it was going for $14.99.

31. That's fantastic. No premium for singles at all.

Bung and hooligan74 like this.
  32. Just cracked my first bottle and it is definitely not infected, it is back to excellence!

33. agreed, the balance of roast and dark fruit is amazing. better than the Dark Horse baltic porter I had over Christmas Break

34. I'm glad to have DR back. This beer is delicious. Maybe one of the five best beers in NC. Definitely up there.

35. This is great news to hear. I appreciate everybody's input. Now where's the rabid duck?

Bluecane likes this.
  36. Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised and Chris is an awesome dude, to boot.