1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

dumb question about rye

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elliott1184, Dec 24, 2012.

1. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (320) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

So, I don't generally like rye beers. I have liked just about every bourbon barrel aged beer I've tried. I am wondering if a beer aged in rye barrels will have a similar flavor profile to that of a bb aged beer, or will taste more like a rye beer, if that makes any sense...

Thanks in advance for any input.
  2. it would taste more like a BB beer
  3. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

Yeah, I dont think the type of whiskey barrel used to age the beer would make nearly as much difference as the aging itself. Using Rye as a malt gives a distinct peppery, spicy note. Using a Rye whiskey barrel to age a beer would more likely give a bourbon like, slightly sour note.

It is important to note that rye whiskey is a distilled spirit made from a beer (wash) that has some quantity of rye in it. Once it is distilled, it is treated like every other whiskey and aged in oak barrels for a minimum of three years. I think using a whiskey barrel to age beer that once had rye whiskey in it as opposed to corn whiskey (bourbon is distilled from a beer made from a mix of corn and barley) would present some difference, but way less than the difference that would be presented from the aging itself.
  4. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

There are a lot of Bourbons out there that contain rye.