1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

dumb question about rye

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elliott1184, Dec 24, 2012.

1. elliott1184

elliott1184 Member

So, I don't generally like rye beers. I have liked just about every bourbon barrel aged beer I've tried. I am wondering if a beer aged in rye barrels will have a similar flavor profile to that of a bb aged beer, or will taste more like a rye beer, if that makes any sense...

Thanks in advance for any input.
  2. goodbetterbestbested

goodbetterbestbested Member

it would taste more like a BB beer
  3. Biffster

Biffster Member

Yeah, I dont think the type of whiskey barrel used to age the beer would make nearly as much difference as the aging itself. Using Rye as a malt gives a distinct peppery, spicy note. Using a Rye whiskey barrel to age a beer would more likely give a bourbon like, slightly sour note.

It is important to note that rye whiskey is a distilled spirit made from a beer (wash) that has some quantity of rye in it. Once it is distilled, it is treated like every other whiskey and aged in oak barrels for a minimum of three years. I think using a whiskey barrel to age beer that once had rye whiskey in it as opposed to corn whiskey (bourbon is distilled from a beer made from a mix of corn and barley) would present some difference, but way less than the difference that would be presented from the aging itself.
  4. mjryan

mjryan Member

There are a lot of Bourbons out there that contain rye.