Dumb question--Brett in Colette?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by southdenverhoo, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Had a Colette at Euclid Hall (on tap; $5.25 for 8 oz pour) last night before the Avery Dictators thing started. Could have sworn there was a nice brett funk in it, which I did not recall from the last one I had, maybe a year and a half ago.

Did they change the recipe? Or am I just wrong (again)?

This was a LOT better beer than I remembered; will be drinking a bunch more of this.

2. alexipa

alexipa Savant (455) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

They don't use brett, but it is a blend of saison yeasts fermented at high temperature. It's unavoidable that batches will turn out differently when you use this technique, but it imparts a lot of funky complexity.

I absolutely love the beer and agree that they can taste quite different from one to the next.

3. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (365) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I was there 3 days ago and had the Colette at Euclid. Never got a Brett taste from it.

southdenverhoo likes this.
  4. ablackshear

ablackshear Savant (310) Colorado Sep 17, 2010 Verified

I don't taste any Brett, but I'm very happy to have a great farmhouse on shelves year round at a good price and not in large format bottles

5. Agreed, buying a sixer or 2 today. Lingering question after a google search--GD does make "Brett, Meet Colette" and the price at Euclid was $5.25 for a little 8 oz pour, ie a lot less than they pour of other things in Colette's price range (Czar and Maja were, by contrast, the same $5.25 for a 10 oz pour) perhaps Euclid got hold of a keg of Brett, Meet Colette?

But probably not, that beer is evidently only available at special events....and IIRC the menu just said "Colette" and it would have been a big deal to have Brett, Meet Colette & certainly noted in the menu... so my palate was just wrong.

6. Domingo

Domingo Poobah (1,080) Colorado Apr 23, 2005 Verified Subscriber

I love the fact that GD releases some of their all-star beers (like Colette) in 6-packs. No rationing needed, they're a good value, and you can find 'em everywhere.
    With Colette in particular, I think the flavors vary a bit even from bottle to bottle...but it's always good. Not sure if that's what they're shooting for, but I personally think that's pretty cool. That yeast does a lot of good work.

southdenverhoo, b0rderman and alexipa like this.
  7. knocked off work early to cook mama a nice dinner (Michael Chiarello's Italian meat loaf, grandma's slow simmered green beans with bacon, roasted red potatoes), sipping on a Colette (9.49 + tax for the sixer, Grapevine liquors) right this minute. This is what I had last night, albeit on draft, no Brett just a nice, nice yeast profile. Don't know what I was thinking but (non) mystery solved.

I do think this beer is different/better than what it was back in 2010...

8. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (320) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

Am i the only one who just isn't a fan of Colette? I love everything Great Divide makes other than Colette and Hades, and Saison is my fav style of beer!

9. ablackshear

ablackshear Savant (310) Colorado Sep 17, 2010 Verified

I wouldn't rate it really high compared to many of the other saisons out there, but not many of them are available for <$10 for 72oz

Domingo likes this.
  10. denver10

denver10 Poobah (1,020) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I only tried it once but I did not care for it at all either. Liked Hades even less.

11. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,100) Colorado May 19, 2005 Verified

The first time I had it was at GD's bday party years ago (maybe 2010) and it was very sweet-corny. Didn't finish the sample I had.
    Now, it's cleaner, but will have to have more to come to a conclusion...

12. Yep I thought it was decidedly just OK (and I'm an easy grader) when they were trying to sell me on putting it on tap at my bar (around the same time as your taste I think). Don't know if I remember corn but I thought it was sweet and under-attenuated for a saison. Looking at their website description they do not mention corn but do mention rice, wheat and of course barley malt.

But what do I know? I thought I tasted brett in it last night, LOL! No future credibility for this cowboy....

If you need more to make a conclusion, at least they don't cost very much!