1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

During a beer drinking session, in what order do you drink your beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Meaning which styles do you prefer to start with and finish with. That is of course if you are not sticking with the same type of beer.

Personally I usually start with a wheatbeer, pilsner or a weissbier. Then i have a good sour beer such as a ouide bruin or a lambic. Then i move to a stout. I usually finish with an ipa as i find the intensity and bitterness of the hops will impact my palate and thus the taste of any beers to come.
  2. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (520) California Dec 23, 2010

BADarkLoard>HeadyTopper>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR>PBR
  3. I usually start with the first beer, and end with the last beer.
  4. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

I'm not quite sure which order to drink those last two: stouts seem like a good way to end the evening and overcome whatever the IPA leaves, but usually I stay with one or the other.
  5. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Whatever I feel like.
  6. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

7. Just don't drink a one dollar beer after a five dollar beer........
    beertunes and franklinn like this.
  8. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

Farmhouse, Sour, Strong Ale/Barleywine/Imperial Stout
  9. Yeah, "lighter" (whatever that means) to heavier. I'll start with Pale or Wheat or IPA and move to Tripel or Farmhouse and then up to Barleywine and lastly Imperial Stout. Mostly a body density thing than an ABV thing to be honest.
  10. Usually just stick to one beer for the night, unless its a two bottle night where I will drink 2 expensive beers.

If lambics/wilds are involved, I usually drink them first, just because they give me bad heartburn in the morning. Otherwise, Will go Dark to light as far as style.

Stout, Brown, Mild, Amber, Pale, if given an order. I think I may try the PBR approach to save some money :)
    JxExM likes this.
  11. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Usually go least hopped to most hopped, since they tend to dominate my palate. And if I'm feeling rowdy, sometimes I'll finish with a scotch.
    mecummins and JxExM like this.
  12. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Non BA, then BA... Then I take pics, then i post em here... Then something about flexing into a mirror, plus a chainsaw... you get the idea.
    beertunes likes this.
  13. StoutSeth

StoutSeth Savant (265) Virginia Sep 24, 2010

If I'm splitting beers I normally session from light to dark with a palate cleansing lager in between the more flavorful beers.
  14. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I start with a few beers that really want to enjoy the flavor and have a fresh palate.. By the end I drink something tasty and cheap like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
  15. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

A couple of good bombers and switch to SNPA or Dales
  16. I alternate light and heavy. Usually a wheat beer is first, followed by a stout. barleywine, or belgian, then I repeat that cycle until I'm done.
  17. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I tend to move upward in alcohol, but that's usually not too smart.
    WassailWilly likes this.
  18. Coldest to warmest
  19. Generally weak before strong, pale before dark.That way minimises a beer from being overshadowed by the one previous. It doesn't always work; I was pressed into trying Heineken (5% ABV) after a couple of sub 4% session ales and couldn't detect any hint of taste or flavour or aroma.It could have been cold gassy bathwater for all I know.It was just so far down the flavour scale that it was totally suppressed.
  20. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

My bomber then host's (community) beer. When soloing I usually only drink 1 type of beer for the night.
  21. Usually pretty random depending on what I feel like, I generally like to drink the better beers before I get a good buzz going though. One thing that is pretty consistent is that I dont like to drink more than one of any particular beer each night, I like to switch it up from beer to beer.
  22. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (285) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

usually start with balanced/malt forward and sessionable, then move over to the bitter/hoppy and higher ABV beers. i'd be a little pissed if Heady Topper wrecked my palette (and cognition) before getting to enjoy the malt complexities of Left Hand's Vietnamese Coffee Stout
  23. Since I am heavily into IPAs, I usually start with what I have the most of, what I have had the longest or what is closest to a best by date. Exceptions are when I get a beer that I haven't had before, I will start with that beer or if I get something especially fresh, I will have those first.
  24. I don't have an order. Just whatever sounds good.
    FosterJM likes this.
  25. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

But, the real question is, what do you drink after 98 waters?
    PittBeerGirl and Bitter_Echo like this.
  26. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Or vice versa!:p
  27. Ill USUALLY stick to one style a night (pale ale, IPA, DIPA,) (Porter,stout, imperial Porter/ stout). Belgian (dubbel, Tripel, quad) and go from low to high ABV. Except with the Belgians. Ill usually drink the TRIPs first

Basically, light to dark, low ABV to high
  28. drevim

drevim Aficionado (180) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

I walk down to my "cellar", pick the first 2 beers (unless there is something in the fridge). When I'm ready to open beer #2, I walk down and pick #3. This is repeated until a) I'm done, or b) I can no longer navigate a flight of stairs, and I'm done.
    JxExM and johnyb like this.
  29. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

IPA first off, then usually an IPA, and finish with an IPA
    Bitter_Echo and PdxBeerGeek like this.
  30. Light to dark if I plan on multiple styles. Otherwise I try to plan similar styles in my session. Sometimes plan by ABV I ramp up the abv's and save the heavy hitters 8+ for the end.
  31. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

It depends on the situation for me. If I'm just planning on drinking a couple higher ABV beers like a RIS or BA stout I drink lower ABV to higher. But if its hot outside and I am doing work or get done with football practice, I will tend to go straight for something that will punch you in the with with flavor. Last year I would always do this with hopslam. Even though it was 10%, it was easy drinking and very refreshing. Then I would've onto something a little lighter. It's against traditional thinking but just what I have done.
  32. PdxBeerGeek

PdxBeerGeek Aspirant (45) Oregon Dec 15, 2012

6.0% ABV IPA, 6.7% ABV IPA,...etc (always IPA)
  33. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Really all depends on who you are drinking with, how serious you are drinking, how "whale" the beers are. Blah blah blah.

Cheers!
  34. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

"1. Thirsty-est. 2. Thirstier. 3. Thirsty." ;)

I'd been planning to meet a friend for a beer for months and months, and so we finally met up the other day, but I'd just recently recovered from a 24-hour flu, so my palate was just barely there. I started with a Pils* to calibrate and this seemed to do the trick -- I could even taste the Citra hops!-- but it's also the order in which I would normally drink: Lighter profile-to-heavier.

*I switched to a Strong Ale afterward, with water in-between. Can't go in for too much too soon.
  35. WebGuyMike

WebGuyMike Savant (395) Florida Dec 5, 2012

Personally, I like to start with a nice APA or IPA, get increasingly hoppier as the night wears on then finish off with a porter or stout of some sort. I think of it like appetizer, main course(s) then coffee after dinner.
  36. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

I just listen to my heart usually.
  37. JLG193

JLG193 Savant (250) Michigan Sep 14, 2010

I drink in whatever order I want cause I live in AMURICA!
  38. I usually go from light to dark, most nights ending in a stout or porter.
  39. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I like to get flavorful beers first, and then once I'm buzzed and don't really care what I'm tasting, I'll have some adjuncts. Preferably the tiny bit LESS shitty ones. A PBR or Molson or something like that.