Duvel Moortgat shopping for US breweries

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by jesskidden, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ommegang parent co. Duvel Moortgat Planning to Buy U.S. Craft Breweries

2. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Maven (1,355) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

About freakin' time!!

3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

mellowmark likes this.
  4. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

That Ommegang thing must be going well for them. Time to buy more breweries. They have bought a few in Belgium, so same strategy, new country.

5. 77black_ships

77black_ships Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

It is better than AB InBev buying them ~ wonder what they will be buying?

ThatFatBeerGuy and VictorWisc like this.
  6. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2005 Connecticut

Only a good thing if you want them to buy something you love and then raise the prices...

7. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania

So if Duvel becomes a huge international conglomerate... does that mean Ommegang becomes "crafty?" :confused:

8. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Pooh-Bah (1,945) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

Absolutely, if we've learned anything since their O-gang purchase. I used to drink a dangerous amount of Rare Vos & Hennepin 10 yrs ago when the 750s went for ~ $5. When Duvel bought them, the prices immediately shot up...he'll, I'd rather buy a real-deal Belgian at what O-gang fetches nowadays.

Plus, the Duvel-Moortgat USA head is on record claiming the US market needs to be "trained" to pay higher prices for "premium product". So yeah, count me as someone not thrilled with this news.

9. Danny1217

Danny1217 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2011 Florida

Duvel never bought Ommegang. It was always owned by the same people.

10. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

Yes and no. Duvel was always a part of it. But, they bought out the other owners in 2003.:wink:

11. VictorWisc

Prices went up for entirely different reasons. In case you haven't noticed, all beer went up in price in part because commodity prices on cereals went through the roof for a variety of economic (and nutritional) reasons. The second reason is that tariffs on Belgian beer and international transportation costs went up, so Duvel felt justified in matching the raise to keep up with the premium brands like Chimay. But if they think we "need to be trained", they are in for a rude surprise. I like Ommegang, but that loyalty will go out the window if I feel I'm being used as a cash cow.

Ljudsignal and sacrelicio like this.
  12. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Dose anyone have an idea of how large a Corp. Duvel Moortgat is? Is it large enough to but ,say Seirra Nevada?

13. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

They're pretty big. They own Achouffe, Maredsous, as well as many others we don't get here in the States.

joaopmgoncalves likes this.
  14. Dope

Dope Pooh-Bah (2,751) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I could see them going for Allagash, maybe?

Dope

cbeer88 likes this.
  15. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

About 637,000 barrels/year according to the article, so about 2/3 the size of the Sierra Nevada.

Well, Ken Grossman's made it clear that the privately-owned SN isn't for sale, but whether DM could buy SN - or a brewery of that approx. size (1m bbl/yr) - would be a matter between them, their accountants and their bankers. Certainly in the brewing industry it is not that unusual for a smaller company to buy a larger one.

16. VictorWisc

For M&A, barrelage is less important than cash flow. On the other hand, leveraged buyout is only half-dead. Something that small just might get away with it. But if they try to go on a buying spree, banks will reconsider...

17. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania

Which puts them where in the grand scheme of things? Between New Belgium and everyone else? I usually look at this list but it's only ranks.

18. azorie

azorie Pooh-Bah (2,409) Mar 18, 2006 Florida
    Pooh-Bah

I like to see them setup and brew a real Belgian set of beer(s) here in the states, show them how its done, lol.:grinning:
    If they could........I love to see a real dubbel, tripel made here and enough made to distro to the whole country...

Who knows what they will do though. One think they would look for 1 big but in trouble???

19. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I don't think so. Of course Mr. Grossman an would want to sell. Not happening.

20. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

My initial thought as well. Assuming they want to stick with Belgian styles, Allagash is probably the most authentic and high quality Belgian brewery in the US. Small enough to be affordable, popular enough to sell well and continue to grow with the right resources, and geographically they are convenient to Ommegang and Belgium.

Dope likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.