1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Eagle Rock/ Alesmith Dairy Tank

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Earlycsquid, Mar 21, 2014.

1. No buzz on this at all, but just got released today at Eagle Rock. A really solid milk stout and does not taste at all like a 10% beer.

Bottles and growler fills offered this weekend. Anyone else try it out?

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  2. 10% on a milk stout? interesting. Most I see tend to be 5% or below.

What's this beer like?

3. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Savant (350) California Mar 26, 2013

good excuse to revisit Eagle Rock. i hardly ever go there even though i live nearby. to many other breweries doing better stuff, with all due respect

4. Erick_G

Erick_G Aficionado (240) California Nov 18, 2013

A friend of mine stopped in yesterday to grab us some bottles, and he tried some while he was there and he made a similar comment about not tasting like it's 10%. I'm pretty stoked to try this out.

5. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Any distribution on this, or is it only available at Eagle Rock/AleSmith?

6. I don't think it will be at Alesmith.

7. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony Savant (315) California May 22, 2006

Is it on nitro by chance?

Love Alesmith, love milk stouts, can't stand ERB.

8. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Savant (350) California Mar 26, 2013

saw they got bottles at Sunset Beer Co

9. Anyone know the price point on this one?

10. Around $10 and change at ERB, I imagine a buck or two more at stores.

11. I had it for the first time last night. I liked it. I was going to buy a growler fill of it, until I found out it was $30 for a 64oz fill. It's a little cheaper if you just buy 3 bottles and you get a couple of oz's more.

12. wuntrikpony

Why in the hell would it be cheaper by the bottle?

13. Its 30 if you buy the glass too, it was something like $16 just for the fill. I just had it at the taproom and it was good, fuck all yall hating on Eagle Rock so hard.

14. wuntrikpony

So the glass is $14? That's enough reason to hate.

swolepeer and stawn like this.
  15. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Advocate (520) California Sep 24, 2013

Eagle Rock has awful growler prices.

swolepeer and kojevergas like this.
  16. Yeah, it's the reason why I never bothered getting a growler. Back in the day they were even more. About $22-23 for the glass alone. I guess they're getting price breaks now with more orders? I dunno... are they doing blank growler fills?

17. I'm here now and it's $30 for the growler fill (growler not included). You're looking at $45+ tax with a new growler.

18. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Advocate (520) California Sep 24, 2013

Insane. Absolutely ridiculous.

19. I paid $20 for a growler I think maybe early 2011 or late 2010 thinking I would make use of it often since the options for local breweries were almost nonexistent. Turned out to be a horrible decision.

20. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Why did Alesmith collaborate with Eagle Rock of all breweries? I could see The Bruery, Noble, or even Haven (if we're confining this to greater L.A. and Orange County). But Eagle Rock?

Oh well. At least it wasn't Golden Road...

21. Eagle Rock purchased their system from Alesmith so they have history together. If I recall correctly, those fermenters were originally dairy tanks.

kojevergas likes this.
  22. kojevergas

This makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the info.

23. Sold out when I stopped in today.

24. JNBeer

JNBeer Aficionado (225) California Aug 14, 2005

What time were you there? I stopped by around 5:30 and picked up 3 bottles

25. they had a whole tower of it tucked away across from the dairy section at silverlake trader joes

around 9-10 bucks iirc

i loved it, rich but smooth

26. Haha, that sucks. I was there around 3 and the worker swore they sold out.

27. As much as I like Sunset, that's happened to me at least two times now. They swear whatever they got was sold out/gone and later that day or the next a friend who lives close gets his.

28. yeah I stopped in around 2 today and they didn't have any out. lame.

29. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (540) California Feb 22, 2012

Scratching head re: why you would go to SBC or Silverlake TJ's instead of ERB itself (?) It's like 6 minutes away.

o_O

Modernrickk likes this.
  30. Just guessing, but probably because ERB has Dairy Tank and a bunch of ERB beers. SBC has (or had) Dairy Tank and a bunch of non-ERB beers. I know where I'd go if I was in the area.

sportstsar likes this.
  31. JayORear

Good point. Also, limited hours at ERB.

32. And if the person who said it was at Trader Joe's is correct, seems like it's a buck less there.

33. They make good beer?

So does Golden Road, now.

34. Oddly enough, I'd take Golden Road's regular line up over Eagle Rock's regular staples any day of the week.

But I hear tale that they're bottling their ginger saison this year. So yeah, that's going to be great.

For those of you finding Dairy Tank outside of the brewery, how much is the going rate?

35. drewone

drewone Champion (750) California Sep 18, 2006

I like both, but the fact that GR is not in bombers means I choose them the majority of the time over ER.

36. kojevergas

That news to me, on both counts. Must be a recent development?

I haven't lived in SoCal since May 2013...

37. Golden Road dropped DFH's Carpenter cause he wasn't dialing it in to what exactly GR wanted. Hired Jesse Houck of Drake's and all of the recipes were revamped.

38. ubiq3000

ubiq3000 Savant (430) California Dec 6, 2013

Because hipsters stick together.

"If you don't know, now you know." Biggy

39. JayORear

It's 10.99 at Bill's in Atwater Village.

Modernrickk likes this.
  40. When was this, just out of curiosity?

DT was $9.99 at Ramirez's new place yesterday, btw. They had only a handful left.