1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Earth Eagle Brewing, Portsmouth NH

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by cleeze, Jan 23, 2013.

1. cleeze

cleeze Savant (290) Maine Nov 24, 2008

Anyone try their stuff yet? It's right in my back yard but everytime I've sung in they've been close. Curious if anyone on here has been in
  2. Been once, a couple weeks ago. Cool little spot but hard to find (even for locals). I tried four beers: pale ale, English strong, dark gruit, and amber gruit. All four were decent. I guess I liked the pale ale best because it was the only one of the four I would even consider buying a pint of (4 oz. was more than enough of the others). I think gruits can be interesting, but I don't see many people jumping at a 64 oz. growler fill of dark gruit. Just sayin'. This brewery still has potential, but they need to limit the esoteric styles. Bring back this New England Gangsta IPA I keep hearing about.
  3. I went last Saturday to check out the tasting room and the space. I am not huge into gruits, but I had a pale ale, an IPA, the pumpkin curry porter and the red rye. All were nice, but the pale ale (The Grange) was my favorite. I ended up getting a fill of that. The pumpkin curry porter was also really tasty and pretty spot on for what they were going for I think. I just couldn't imagine a full 64 or 32 oz. of it though.

I really want to try the New England Gangsta IPA when it's back on too. Definitely seems right up my alley.

The spot is definitely hard to find and I wasn't sure I was in the right place at first. It's the only door on the side of the building and the tasting room is just on the right as you enter. Nice place and friendly staff. I plan on getting another growler filled soon.
  4. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Champion (925) Maine Sep 17, 2005

I went on a Saturday recently. You do need to know where it is; tough to find.
    Not much atmosphere, but friendly people. I had one of the gruits and a nice smoked cherry wood ESB. I, too, want to try New England Gangsta IPA.
  5. "...everytime I've sung in they've been close..."

We've heard you sing; that's why they're closed!

;)
  6. Sat with owner/brewer Hutch & his wife on Sunday night at the Smuttynose Beer Dinner at Black Birch - nice folks and some pretty funny backstories about playing in a punk band. Have to stop in next trip over to taste their offerings.
  7. I wrote about my first visit shortly after Thanksgiving on this thread, but I'll copy it here:

I stopped back in a few weeks later, and really enjoyed a pale ale and brown ale (of some sort) that were on that day, though I can't remember the names of the two beers. I like gruits, and being able to try several at once is something I've never had the chance to do before Earth Eagle, and I really dig what they're doing with the different herbs and ingredients in each. That said, gruits certainly aren't something that everyone will love. So I like that they're balancing that out with some solid IPAs, pales, browns and so on, most of which seem to have some interesting twist.

I've been most impressed by the way they're exhibiting certain ingredients--whether it's a hop varietal in an IPA or hoppy brown ale, or an herb or flower in a gruit--in different beers. It makes for a very fun and interesting tasting room experience. Some beers I've wanted to (and have) taken home in a growler or would order as a pint, while others have simply been fun to try. But I think that's the beauty of a tasting room and 4 oz. samples for $1. As time goes on, I'll be curious to see if they develop/promote more of a lineup of a couple flagships with the remaining taps rotating, or whether they'll stick to the constantly rotating taps. As a beer drinker, I could see benefits of either approach, but I'd personally lean toward keeping one or two flagships (or rotating seasonal releases or something) going. But what do I know?

In any case, the guys at Earth Eagle are very friendly; the beer is very unusual, interesting and solid; and the taproom, while a bit hard to find (not too hard, though, if you know the address), is as nice a brewery taproom as I've seen in New England. I've happily spent an hour chatting, sampling and hanging out there.
  8. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (450) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Stopped in a few weeks ago. Wanted to try NE Gangsta, didn't have it. The red ale they had on was awful, I didn't really like the gruits (probably more stylistic than anything, but went in with an open mind and didn't care for them), and The Grange pale ale was good enough, but nothing spectacular. $1 samples and a cool little tasting room, so worth a stop in if you're in town. But, set your expectations low for the beer. Everything was undercarbonated and very amateurish. I've had much better homebrews from people that don't have nearly the access to ingredients these guys do.

Blue Lobster's tap room is bigger and a nice space, albeit in a strip mall kinda setting in Hampton. But, $1 samples of much better beer.
    ElGallo and Lukaduke like this.
  9. Lukaduke

Lukaduke Aficionado (160) Maine May 22, 2012

Well said... I had a similar experience at Earth Eagle. Stopped in for a taster with the wife, thinking she may be into the gruits as she is not a hop fan, but found the same under-carbonated amateur brews that were anything but stellar. The Ancestral IPA had no hop appeal but rather smelled and tasted of cottoncandy and bubblegum... and the puka which is their curry porter was so heavy handed on curry that it lingered for almost an hour...

That being said the place was slammed and everyone else seemed to be really excited about the beer o_O
  10. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (450) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Just because Portsmouth has good beer available doesn't mean everyone has good taste.
    Lukaduke likes this.
  11. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Where is KatetheGreatest to tell everyone that Earth Eagle is the NH craft beer scene.Oh wait he's prob on the clock right now at Earth Eagle:p
    Lukaduke likes this.
  12. READ: Hip-sters [end quote]. In all seriousness, good for them for keeping the place busy when they're open. I'm still willing to give them another shot if more traditional styles (IPA, stout, straight porter, barleywine) make some appearances. Until then, I shall remain on the Blue Lobster bandwagon.
    seplo likes this.