1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Earth to BA egrace84....

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by ArchEnemyBrew, Aug 21, 2012.

1. You still owe me my box. Haven't heard from this guy since July 26th. His box was damaged in transit and shipped backed to him. He promised to repackage things and promptly ship it back. It's been a month now and haven't heard a word and don't have a box. I know for a fact that he is fine. I make regular trades with someone in his tasting group who saw him last week(drinking beer). Looks like he's bailed from BA for the time being. If you get back on BA egrace84, please contact me. Pretty sack less douchebag move he's got going here. I do not suggest trading with this flake.

Cheers all.

Beerontwowheels and Jnorton00 like this.
  2. Shit's happening too often lately, maybe a rare bottle was damaged he is trying to replace though. But if he isn't communicating not cool.

3. The 'rarest' bottle was a BA ruffian which I know is easy to come by. I really am not worried about that. If he just sent me a box of quality locals I'd be happy. I've sent him BM after BM and no response. Another BA gave him my number to contact me and explain things. Still haven't heard anything.

4. That sucks, I guess this threadis the final straw and contact oldport.

5. Myself and another BA are also awaiting packages from him as well. I have traded with him in the past without issue so I was giving him the benefit of the doubt but it looks like this is a bigger issue.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Well this sucks. I know life happens, but if the dude has in fact been seen by other BAs at tastings there is no excuse he couldn't contact the people he owes and explain what is going on.

7. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Odd, I did a trade with egrace84 a few months ago and it went really smoothly...

Wonder what's going on?

8. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

This is why it's good to put these things out there sooner than later.... rather than those who say: "Well.... I didn't want to do this, but 9 months ago this guy screwed me"

Kudos to the OP for bringing this to light quickly.

Also, this guy certainly is clearly in the wrong, but with damage and shipping time, how long has it been since the damage occurred, how many shipping days etc? I know I've been late before because something came up, and then it needed to wait until the following Monday because with the crazy summer heat we were having, I didn't want to ship on a Wednesday/Thursday or whatever it was so it would sit in a warehouse or on a truck.

I communicated these things though, and again, his delay seems "Excessive" he may send out a stellar box with an apology note, and you can say "No worries" and just choose not to trade with him in the future, but name-calling in the meantime usually doesn't help facilitate those types of reactions.

He may fully intend on screwing you, but could realize it's better not to go down that road (have a change of heart) and make up for it.... You're just giving him reason to use the classic "I was packing it up, and wanted to do XYZ, but then this guy decides to call me names and contact my tasting group etc"

He still owes you a box regardless of how butt-hurt he is, but an "FYI: I had a trade that seems to have gone bad" thread is better than "Hey this guy is a douche" in terms of effectiveness.

I hope you get your beers though.

hmph, ravot, brooklynbrews and 2 others like this.
  9. Well the rest of my thread explains why, again I have traded with him multiple times without issue. It's been three weeks and I have been in contact with his friend. So before jumping the gun and calling him out as a bad trader, I wanted to go through other options first.

10. MaxSpang

I really can't imagine him just turning into a schmuck after doing so many successful trades, having reputable friends on BA, etc.

You said that he has your phone number, but do you have his?

11. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

I've also traded with him recently (within the last few months or so) and everything went well. Wonder what's going on

12. "He still owes you a box regardless of how butt-hurt he is, but an "FYI: I had a trade that seems to have gone bad" thread is better than "Hey this guy is a douche" in terms of effectiveness."

Good point. Sometimes it's hard to see certain angles when you've got your frustration blinders on though. In my defense, I didn't call him a douche, I said his MO at the moment is douchy and sack less. I did call him a flake which we can assume at this point is true.

13. Has the guy in his tasting group said anything to him?

Photekut likes this.
  14. He has. The gentleman in his tasting group is a standup BA and one of my best trading partners. He's inquired about the trade and urged egrace84 to right his wrong and to make contact with me. I can't expect him to do any more than that as he is not this guys keeper.

15. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Hey guys, knowing egrace84 personally I feel really bad for the 2 or 3 people without a box right now. It reflects very poorly on me and the few others here that call him a friend. Embarrassing at the least. We will get to the bottom of this and if nothing else I would be glad to send "replacement/sorry for the hassle" boxes.

16. MaxSpang

Before this gets too far, let me just say publicly that Duff27 is a super solid BA regardless of what happens with egrace84. Chris is one of my semi-regular trading partners and always hits it out of the park.

Whatever happens, this should not taint Duff27's good reputation.

17. IMO, 2012 join date = they ship first.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect somebody to have a good solid 6+ months on this site before they shouldn't have to ship first anymore. These bad traders who hop on, flake out, and go away are simply coming in droves these days.

Beerontwowheels and Duff27 like this.
  18. Feel the need to say that I worked with egrace84 on a pretty huge trade a couple months ago and everything went great. My box to him was damaged in transit and he was very cool about it and we had some good communication while I worked to get a replacement box out to him. Seems like a good guy, hope this works out.

19. Report him to the bad traders list

20. This thread is sort of a last ditch effort before I do it and move on with things.

21. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Why does any of this matter? Yes shit happens, and it may take time to replace stuff; or you run out of 3M brand Scotch tape and you don't trust any other generic band clear tape, but there was fire a the facility in India that makes the tape, and for some reason the last two container ships full of 3M brand Scotch tape were hijacked by lost Somali Pirates leaving closest available store with Scotch tape all the way in Carbondale, but both your car and bike are broke so you have to walk. What does any of this matter? It doesn't, because unless you take the three seconds to send a BM/email/Text/IM/Tweet/Phone Call/Telegram, no one knows what is going on but you. So as time moves on, and you don't spare three seconds of you precious time to inform the person whom you have a pending transaction with, the person on the other end will speculate the worst has happened. Because in this day and age, there is no excuse for not communicating PERIOD

22. Was this ever resolved??? because I apparently did not do enough research as egrace84 is a bad trader. I sent him a box last Thursday he said he wanted to wait until Monday to ship seeing he had a lot of references I said okay. Now my package to him has been delivered and he hasn't contacted me since last Friday not trying to get screwed after sending out $40 in hill farmstead.

23. TATURBO

TATURBO Savant (265) Illinois Oct 1, 2008

I sent out 2 boxes for him on Monday, one to CA one to TX. I'll be talking to him Thursday night. He was having some issues late this summer with a GF that had some boxes in her custody that were not sent out on time, very late in fact.
    If anyone has issues, PM me and I'll personally make sure to take care of it.

Kaydogg likes this.
  24. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (570) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I did a trade with him in November. No problems. I didn't see this thread until now.

25. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

just set up a trade with him and he sent me a valid tracking number quickly.

26. I just completed a trade with him a week ago. It did take awhile and his communication was spotty. I just figured he was busy with the holidays as I was too. That said Taturbo had sent me a message saying that he was throwing some beers in the box. Maybe it was him that sent it? If so my budy who it was for says Thanks!