1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Earthy Tasting IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by InVinoVeritas, Feb 8, 2013.

1. I’ve contemplated posting this for some time, as I’ve really been trying a fair amount of new IPAs. I by no means have that dialed in of a palate. I’ve enjoyed a number that I’d describe as earthy, organic and chewy. Some that I can think of are Anderson Valley Hop Ottin’ and Sweetwater IPA . . . may even add Union Jack, but some time has pasted since I tried one, which was my one and only time tasting. So first and foremost, what is it that I’m picking up, certain type of hops, process and so on? Second, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. I think 'earthy' is a bit subjective but I usually find it in bold DIPAs. For me, Devil Dancer and Simtra were quite earthy. But earthy to me may not be earthy to you. I also think Haverhill's Leatherlips is earthy but that is a local/Boston area brew.
  3. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (385) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

I never had an "earthy" IPA, but every now and then I catch a hint of tomato and garlic...
  4. Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere comes to mind but you won't find that for awhile
  5. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Look into some English IPAs. They more often have some very earthy hop profile / malt combinations.
    NoLeafClover44 likes this.
  6. babaracas

babaracas Savant (425) Florida Jan 30, 2008

Our "earthy" detectors might be calibrated differently, because I would not describe any of the beers you list as earthy, but, as a state, NC seems to produce a fair amount of IPAs that are far from the west coast bright, citrusy IPA and closer to the earthy, fruity, not yeast-neutral end of the spectrum.
  7. Rubicon out of Sacramento is definitely an earthy one. +1 on the Anderson Valley.
  8. to me union jack is the opposite of an earthy IPA. Its a tropical citrus bomb. just mo
  9. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (445) New York Jan 24, 2013

DFH 60 and 90 minute tend to be much maltier IMO than your average IPA. I wouldn't describe them as earthy necessarily but they aren't hop\citrus bombs. I would lend towards English hop varietals to give you that earthy feel in general.
  10. I'm sipping on a Simtra right now, and I gotta agree. Has a nice earthy-dankness on top of all the mango
  11. This is not considered an IPA, but New Belgium Red Hoptober has what I would consider the most plesasnt "earthy" hops.
    pumpkin1 likes this.
  12. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (545) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

I vote Oskar Blue's Deviant Dale's
    denver10 and scootsmal like this.
  13. southern tier unearthly /thread
  14. Sweetwater IPA was very "earthy" to me, my experience is limited with ipa's though.
  15. Unearthly, as in out of this world; wouldn't that be the poler opposite haha
  16. lftwng4

lftwng4 Aficionado (210) Ohio Oct 12, 2007

Earthy, as in kinda dank, musty, smells like weed?
    I've gotten that out of Maharaja, Founder's Double Trouble, almost always from Columbus Brewing IPA(certainly not available unless you're in Columbus). Just had a Simtra last night and I didn't get that smell/taste, but I might be coming down with a cold, as many have noted it's there.
  17. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

The only IPA which I have felt had an earthy component was Brooklyn East India Pale Ale. This I attributed to the inclusion of East Kent Goldings hops as I find that beers brewed with British hop variants tend to have the same kind of earthiness as opposed to the fruity citrusy character of American hop variants. The earthiness that I pick up on is rather musty and dank like lftwng4 describes it (wouldn't know about weed though :p) .
  18. Heidelberg7

Heidelberg7 Savant (310) Illinois Sep 13, 2008

What is going on with the Caps I am a huge Caps fans and they are playing like crap looks like first pick in the 2013 NHL Draft
  19. The IPAs I consider "earthy" would be Sierra Nevada Estate and Founders Harvest Ale
  20. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (435) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

If you ever get to Iowa, Toppling Goliath's PsudoSue and to a lesser extent Golden Nugget might be right down your ally. Cheers!

Mike
  21. Sly Fox's Rt. 113

22. I feel shall and wish that it was over in 2 mins . . . rude awakening going from recent seasons where you go into games expecting to win, to games expecting to lose. I'm just hoping this is like Money Ball, where once Oates system gets player buy, they rock out huge wins in a row. Not likely to happen, but what else do I have to hope for. They need to rebuild, getting away from a team of individuals to a true team game and never thought that I'd say this, OV's gotta go . . . would have NEVER made him the captain from the start, that would have been Brooks Laich.
  23. Schlafly's American IPA has an earthy flavor that appeals to many people. Personally, I think it tastes like dirt.
  24. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll look to try more English IPAs, with specifically Blackheart on the radar!
  25. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (660) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I think Meantime IPA may have the taste you are describing as earthy
  26. haha it was just a lame joke... a more serious answer would be celebration, always taste pretty earthy and spicy to me.

in wine there is truth... indeed
  27. Hey, onions and garlic grow in the earth right? Grab a Gubna.
  28. Gubna and Resin. I found both really earthy and dank.