1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Easily accessible, great German beers in the US?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jtg5678, Jan 15, 2013.

1. BierVogel

BierVogel Savant (270) Minnesota Oct 29, 2012

I love a good Kölsch. Sünner has been very easy to find in the upper midwest in recent years. Quite tasty and super cheap.

2. Redbeerman

Redbeerman Aspirant (30) Maryland Jan 11, 2013

Schneider Weisse or Hopfen Weisse
    Ayinger Celebrator
    Weihenstephaner Korbinian
    A lot of good suggestions above.
    If you can find a good pils on tap somewhere, they are always a treat. The bottled stuff is usually oxidized beyond drinkability IMO. Be careful of the age of what you buy. The darker, stronger beers age well, the lighter beers do not.

3. afrokaze likes this.

4. I have found and drank it in bottles but I thought the drinking experience wasn’t as good as my experiences with Mahr’s Ungespundet-hefetrüb on cask and draft.

I and HerrBurgess have recently posted on this beer in the Lagers on cask thread:

Me: “Mahr’s imports a number of their beers in Firkins. I have had the Ungespundet-hefetrüb (a Kellerbier) and the Bock-Bier on cask (both gravity pour) and I have enjoyed both of those beers.”

HerrBurgess (in reference to bottled beers I presume): “Mahr's Ungespundet (every one of those I've had here doesn't even remotely resemble the original when fresh...they've just all been in really bad shape).”

So, you can indeed find this beer but it is much better on draft or cask IMHO.

Cheers!

5. The Hofbrau beers are pretty accessible and very good. Try the original (Helles Lager) and the Dunkel.

6. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

If do not think any are bad beers if fresh. I like 99% of them. I love some more than others.
    I love the hefe, and dark lagers.

7. Add Beck's to the list of Anheuser Busch InBev owned products.

8. ChapaTX

ChapaTX Disciple (55) Texas Jan 14, 2013

Warstiener Verym is good German pilsner in my opinion!

9. And the Beck's we get in the US are brewed in St. Louis to boot!:(

Cheers!

10. I believe they leave the malt for this beer in proximity to the smoking process but it's not directly put on smoke.

11. I'm surprised you're the only one so far to mention Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock because that's probably my second favorite German beer right after, what do you know, Kulmbacher Eisbock. Happened upon a dusty old sixer once, enjoyed the absolute hell out of it, and haven't seen it since.

12. woemad

woemad Champion (805) Washington Jun 8, 2003

There are individual German beers I love, like Aventinus and Jever Pilsner, but my go-to German brewery would be Weihenstephaner. ANYTHING from them will be outstanding.

13. Jimjohson

Jimjohson Zealot (80) Georgia Dec 26, 2012

hopsputin likes this.
  14. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

I am actually from St. Louis. Every time I go back I end up spending an entire afternoon at ucbc. The zwickel is amazing!

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  15. How nobody has mentioned Vitus is beyond me.

16. IMO, Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, Hacker-Pshorr - almost everything those 3 breweries make are good to world-class.

alexipa likes this.
  17. See reply # 28. highdesertdrinker mentioned it.

18. basscram

basscram Savant (365) Florida Mar 29, 2006

Reissdorf Kolsch, Gaffel Kolsch, Kostritzer, Spaten Optimator

19. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,010) Michigan May 5, 2010

Anything Weihenstephan makes(aside from the O-fest which falls short for the style, but is good) and anything Ayinger makes(which includes a fantastic O-fest). That is all you need to know if you want world class German beer.

I also have nothing bad to say about Schlenkerla either, the rauchbier masters out there. Even the smoked helles is delicious.

I was also very impressed with Hacker Pschorr's Hefeweiss and Oktoberfest. Schneider is also very consistent with a great hefeweiss; and Aventinus is world class.

20. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

1909 is unlike a true Berliner Weisse in just about every way. And k
    It's a crap beer.

21. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

I bought another Schlenkerla Märzen today and I made sure to check the best before date this time around (once I was back home and remembered to check it :p ), the date is 06/2013 which I have to assume means that the beer was bottled in june of last year (unless Schlenkerla uses a different, shorter best before standard for their dates). Last time I had it, little over a week or so ago, it was a really tasty beer combining the inviting smells of a camp fire with the taste of smoked meats, beechwood smoked meats in particular. This one is no different, despite it being at least 6 months old at this point. I'm gonna make sure to look for as fresh of a bottle as I can find next time around though to see if I can spot any difference. I realize though that it's a beer that's a slow mover and might take a while to go through the current inventory, unless I come across new arrivals in the back of the shelf.

Though if you have no indication of its age, as seems to be the case in the US, then I can see how it could be a gamble to buy a bottle.

22. just out of curiosity, what is wrong with it? and what is/are your recommendation(s) for a good berlinerweisse?

23. Sure enough. Thoght I read every post. Still, 28 posts for it to get a mention...

24. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I know these have been mentioned but it bears emphasis:
    Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier and Vitus
    Franziskaner Hefeweisbier
    Ayinger anything

Try Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, just because you'll go "WTF, smoked meat beer!" And then you might even enjoy it.

Also, Koelsch is under rated IMO, the only ones I know that are available here are Reissdorf and Gaffel. Gaffel is decent, Reissdorf is better. Frueh is even better, so if you see that it's worth grabbing.

Personally, I am not a fan of Schneider Weiss, every bottle I've had here and in Germany tastes horrible. Schneider-Brooklyn Hopfen Weiss on the other hand is amazing!

Cheers!

25. steveh

steveh Advocate (715) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Considering there has been big love for Weihenstephaner, I think Vitus can be easily included in the group hug. ;)

26. Erdinger Pikantus is a bit tough to find, but its a good weizenbock
    Ayinger Weizenbock
    Ayinger Octoberfest
    Weihenstephener Korbinian
    Vitus
    Weihenstephener Hefe
    Hacker Pschorr Hefe
    Kulmbacher Eisbock
    Aventinus Eisbock

27. “as seems to be the case in the US, then I can see how it could be a gamble to buy a bottle.” Yeah, as we have corresponded on in the past; Schlenkerla made a business decision to not date their bottles for US export.:(

28. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (625) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

The trick with imports, especially lighter lagers, is finding them fresh. Almost all of the German beer is good, as long as it's not really old or skunked.

29. the schlenkerla helles is GERMANY TOP # 1 BEER GOOD TIMES

30. Kulmbacher Eisbock
    Augussteiner Dunkel and Pils
    1684 (I think, I can never remember the year on the bottle.) Berliner Weisse
    Hirschbrau Hefeweizen and Dunkel
    Monschof Schwartzbier
    Zum Ureige Altbier
    Adventious Weizenbock
    Ayinger Marzen and most other stuff they make
    Anything by Schlenkerla

31. I just gotta ask: have you ever been able to find a fresh bottle of Uerige beer?

I have had over ½ dozen bottles of imported Uerige beer (the Uerige Altbier (Classic) and Uerige Doppelsticke) and every one of those bottle was mediocre. I have to believe that these beers were mediocre since the bottles were old/beat up.

Is there a ‘trick’ to getting fresh imported Uerige beers?

Cheers!

32. I think it was just the bottle shop I got it from. They're really good about making sure the beer they get in is fresh.

33. You have a great bottleshop near you!

It has been a few years since I have had an Uerige bottle in my hand. Does Uerige provide a bottled on date on their bottles?

Cheers!

34. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

everyone has said the name of the brewer, but i generally love typing

VVVV
    IIIII
    TTTT
    UUUU
    SSSS

Cheers!

35. To be honest I'm not exactly sure.

36. Neck labels have a spot for a "Bottled On" date.
    [​IMG]

37. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

How old is that photo? In Germany, the regular Alts (not sure about the Sticke, pictured above) have a Bottled On date and a Best Buy date, although I don't have a pic handy. Maybe I'll just have to order some more!

38. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

Looks like we will also start a Send Jack To Düsseldorf fund? That one I might have to consider contributing to...;)

39. Woo-Hoo! Dusseldorf here I come!:)

40. Do you know whether they label is applicable for beers exported to the US?

I have corresponded with Crusader concerning Schlenkerla Marzen. When Schlenkerla exports that beer to Sweden they include a date on the bottle. The Schlenkerla Marzen beers that are exported to the US do not have a date.

Cheers!