1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Easily accessible, great German beers in the US?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jtg5678, Jan 15, 2013.

1. That IS the US imported neck label, distributed by B. United. The US labels are going to be done specifically to meet US TTB requirements (and, possibly, to add/delete things at the request of the importer or the desire of the brewer). I image "CODE" could contain the equivalent of a pull date.

The Schenkerla exported to Sweden is probably the same situation, created to meet the Swedish laws.

2. Thanks for that clarification!

Now, my next challenge is finding a bottleshop that has Uerige beers that are not 6+ months old.

Maybe I will have to travel down to South Carolina and visit the shop where RochefortChris goes!?!;)

Cheers!

3. I brought back some Uerige from Germany last April that had best by dates. When we had a tasting the bottles were one day out, but still pretty good, and some of the people who (Certified Cicerones and a National BJCP) had tasted it in the states were impressed by how much better a bottle of Uerige can be if not too old and stored properly.

Edit - I also think the best by date was pretty short.

4. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

Is it generally available wherever Ayinger beers are sold? I don't think I've ever seen it. I really like Ayinger - would love to try this.

5. So, the bottles you had listed best by dates vs. the bottled on dates of the TTB label?

Cheers!

6. look for the goat on the label. about $4-5 a bottle. I have seen it at a few, but not all locations. It is out-of-this-world good.

7. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

Interesting. That's been one of my favorite beers for a couple years now, and I wondered how they got that very subtle smokiness in there - I'd just assumed they used a smaller portion of smoked malt. This is really cool.

8. On the back, in German, there is a different layout label that has.

abgefuellt (Filled)
    27 Feb

mind. haltbar bis (least stable until - or best by)
    26 Apr

That is what, 8 weeks, not 6 months? No wonder I don't buy Uerige in the US, even if it is one of my favorites.

9. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (535) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

just remember all would taste better had they not spent a couple of months in shipping.

10. There would be smoke residue in places that it could be picked up. Do they malt and dry these grains, the kiln would be full of smoke. The milling operation would introduce smoke. After that, I am not so sure. The mash tun, kettle and fermenters would be cleaned and sanitized, so you are not going to pick up much/any smoke there. If they repitch yeast slurry from a smoked batch, more smoke would come in. Maybe some in the hoses and bottling line. It does have a background smoke flavor/aroma that is in good balance with the sweet malt.

11. Which is why I only buy some doppelbocks and a few that are hopefully fresh. Often not like in Germany.

12. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

So it turns out I had an empty bottle of Uerige Sticke lying around so I snapped a photo. Granted, this was purchased at their brewery and I have no idea what the labels might look like for the US Market. The Sticke, as well as the normal Alt, is given two months (here it is January 13th to March 13th of 2012, although there is no year listed). Their normal Alt bottle is similarly marked. I've never had this beer more than a week or two past filling, so I don't know how quickly it falls off. I can say, though, that this is one of my favorite German beers and I will probably miss it a lot if/when I move back.
    [​IMG]

13. Ayinger Brau Weisse. I know most people would disagree, but I think it beats Weihenstephaner.

mklisz likes this.
  14. I wish you lived in Philadelphia so I could suggest Brauhaus Schmitz.

15. Those two are neck and neck for me. I like the body of the Ayinger better, while I think the Weihenstephaner has a slightly better flavor profile.

16. Jeff, thank for that input. Yeah, 2 months is a short timeframe. I am pretty sure that I would never find a beer in the US that fresh. It may have sounded like a joke earlier when I stated 6+ months but the majority of the imported German beers that I find (for those that are dated) are many months old when see them in the many beer stores that I shop at.

Cheers!

17. I know that many have probably been in the distribution pipeline from the German brewery to the local store shelf to when I see them for about 6 months.

18. So, I drank a Jack’s homebrewed Sticke Alt this evening. It had a bottled on date of 11/28/12 so that beer was 6+ weeks old at this point in time and it was very tasty. I can’t comment to Uerige beers but my homebrewed Alts last much longer than 8 weeks.

Are the Uerige beers bottle conditioned?

Cheers!

19. May have to agree with you. The body of the Ayinger is absolutely ridiculous. Taste-wise it's damn close.

20. Schlenkerla Rauchbiers! The more I drink them, the more in love I become with the style.

herrburgess likes this.
  21. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

The weihenstephan Hefe-weissbier will probably be tops on this list. Easy to find and a truly great brew. However it's winter and Weihenstephan Vitus is like a juiced up version of their Hefe. I've found about anything from Weihenstephan, Brauerei Aying(Ayinger), G.Schneider & sohn, and Brauerei Heller are the 4 German brewers I'd choose hands down if they weren't easily found. Weihenstephan and Aying are easily targeted brews with recently in my area G. Schneider being available. Heller is a brewery many folks may not be big on, but they are top shelf and make excellent smokey like lagers. All 4 are almost always in ratebeer's top 100 in the world. They all have websites so get accustomed to their bottles/labels/logos, etc and enjoy true German at its finest. These 4 won't disappoint.

22. My brother-in-law's liquor store just started carrying Weihenstephaner's and it's wonderful. I've been alternating between this and Hacker-Pschorr which is my favorite. Since he owns the place, I keep hoping for a family discount. No luck!

23. I know, I know... Ive been expecting your comment. :)

24. I have to add Wernesgruner which is a hoppy pils orginally from East germany. It comes in tall cans in BC and is the best canned pils in BC.

25. Weihenstephaner Hefe is a must try beer and very reasonably priced.

26. People here may not enjoy it as much I do, but Bitburger German Pils, in my opinion is absolutely awesome!

kingofhop likes this.
  27. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

No, I don't think so.

28. hehe, sorry for the nudge, but still curious - what are its flaws? what berlinerweisse(s) do you recommend instead?

29. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

That's weird. I'm sure I replied to this.

Wrong strength, wrong colour, wrong level of carbonation, wrong flavour profile. And, if it were really like a Berliner Weisse from 1809, it would be smoked. I don't usually slag off beers, but I don't want people to think that is what Berliner Weisse tastes like.

As for good ones, that's really tricky. Kindl's is the only version left from the older Berlin breweries. And that's not very good. But if you leave it a year or two it does start to taste like a Berliner Weisse. The Schultheiss version that was discontinued was OK. I've heard someone is trying to brew an authentic one in Berlin, but I'm not sure if it's on a commercial scale. That reminds me - he promised he'd send me a couple of bottles.

30. You have previously - I know 'cause I bookmarked it. ;)

In the US, we no longer get Berliner Kindl Weisse, since around 2006-7 (at least, that's the "Best by" date on my last bottle I'm saving - refrigerated -for some special occasion or 'nother).

The US importer for Kindl was B. United, which also imports the Fritz Briem 1809 and two other German brewed BW's from Gosebrauerei Bayrischer Bahnhof

31. patto1ro

I'm pretty sure that the Bayrischer Bahnhof one isn't brewed with a mixed culture of yeast and lactic acid bacteria.

32. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

And of course Becks. Avoid.

33. Kostritzer Schwarzbier

herrburgess likes this.
  34. I think the US label is vague on the topic (only have the Brett version so can't check but their wording is something like "brewed in the tradition of Berliner Weisse"), but I just noticed that B. United page for the beer says:

"Yeast: Ale yeast, Lactic Acid Bacteria (Milchsaeure)"​

35. patto1ro

Milchsaeure means lactic acid, not lactic acid bacteria.

I'll have to ask Sebastian how they make it. He knows the people at Bayrischer Bahnhof and I'm supposed to be seeing him tomorrow.

36. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Pretty much anything from Weihenstephaner is tasty. Augustiner Edelstoff is amazing if you get a fresh bottle. If not…it can be frightening. I had one that smelled like a skunk died in a marijuana dispensary.
    I love Ayinger’s lagers, but don’t really care for their wheat beers. Overall, I’d go with Mahr’s, though. Everything those guy brew is magic.

37. “Augustiner Edelstoff is amazing if you get a fresh bottle. If not…it can be frightening.”

Given that Augustiner does not date their beer, how can you ensure that you can obtain a “fresh bottle”?

Cheers!

38. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I used to really like Beck's. I've noticed a difference lately, and I probably won't be buying it again. Do you know if the recipe changed?

39. I have no personal experience with Beck’s beer either German made or US made.

There have been a number of posts on BA threads where folks have complained that the Beck’s now being brewed at St. Louis is different (for the worse). Some folks have alleged that AB-InBev has cheapened the making of Beck’s and that is why it doesn’t taste as good. I have no information to corroborate this assertion.

Hopefully somebody who is (or was) a longtime Beck’s drinker will chime in on this discussion.

Cheers!

40. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

That is a DAMN fine question, and one I have no answer for :p I got a 6-pack in a trade a few years ago that tasted more or less just like I remember from Munich. I'd recommend that to anyone. However, it seems like once they started distributing to Denver, the stuff we're getting is usually horrid...even when the bottles look good. I'd probably have a chat with the store and see what their refund policy is. It's a beer everyone should try, assuming that it hasn't gone south.