Easily accessible, great German beers in the US?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jtg5678, Jan 15, 2013.

1. unfortunately the only semi-reliable way is if the beer manager in the retailer knows when the shipment came in. and even then, i'm guessing it's not going to be a guarantee, as i don't think the cases are marked either.

2. “ …i don't think the cases are marked either.” I can confirm to you that the cases are indeed not marked.

A short story: The US Importer of Augustiner is Global Village Imports which has the same mailing address as my local beer distributer. They are basically a 1 minute drive from my house and there are always cases of Augustiner stacked in the beer distributor. I have been tempted to ask the beer dudes at the beer distributor: how old are those cases of beer? I am 99.99% sure they will say something like: we just got them ‘in’. Now, it may indeed be true that they just received them (or they could BS me as well). The conundrum, even if they just got those cases ‘in’ I have no idea how long they have been sitting at other locations like: the European warehouse, the US customs warehouse, other warehouses in the distribution chain , etc. Bottom line: I have never purchased Augustiner since I have no way of knowing if the product is truly fresh!:mad:

Cheers!

3. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

4. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Yeah, avoid that Franziskaner and Spaten... and send it all to me.

InBev or not, they're still delicious and enjoyable.

herrburgess likes this.
  5. steveh

This, being owned by A-B InBev, is a different story because it's now brewed here in the U.S. Not that I cared much for it in the last few years, but it's now even more lackluster.

6. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I will no longer buy Beck's. I'm not a liberal protester/boycotter, but it tastes different, and I will no longer buy it, goddammit.

7. steveh

Therein is the bottom line. If it's not as good as it was, something's being monkeyed with. I'm drinking a Spaten Oktoberfest right now (found a store with leftover stash) and it's still one of the best examples of the style you can find. It's all in the malt -- and I'd bet A-B isn't using the same malt the Bremen brewery uses.

kingofhop and herrburgess like this.
  8. Anything Weihenstephaner

9. DPMomutant

DPMomutant Savant (355) Missouri Feb 10, 2004

I will say I have not had many German beers the last few years, usually due to freshness issues. I do like their rauchbiers though and I recently had the Aecht Schlekerla Eiche (Doppelbock) and it blows away even other beers at that brewery. I can only think it is the use of oak instead of beechwood.

10. Late to the party here, but I'll just add Weihenstephaner's Pilsner to the list. I just started seeing it within the last 6 months or so, and it has become a staple in my fridge ever since. Superb malt character under those hops, and great balance. Given the choice, I'll take it over the Original every day.

herrburgess likes this.
  11. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (365) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

Celebrator is the first doppelbock I've ever had and now I'm afraid to try any others. It was that good and I think anything else would be a disappointment.

Momar42 likes this.
  12. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Had this one ontap at the Schneider Weissbrauhaus in Munich a few days ago and it was fantastic. Far better fresh (duh, I know) than any of the bottles I've ever had.

But as everyone has echoed: Weihenstephan, Schneider & Sohn, Ayinger are all solid choices.

13. Can't believe I had to get this far down before people started talking about pilsners, but yes! Jever, Paulaner Premium Pils, Wolter Pilsener, and Kulmbacher are some of my favorites.

On top of the others mentioned, Hofbrauhaus makes a good lighter hefeweizen. And try a gose if you can get your hands on one. Freigeist Leipziger is a good one.

14. Celebrator is indeed the epitome of Doppelbock beers.

I recently had Wolfgang Doppelbock Lager by Great Divide Brewing Company on draft. I thought this beer was very tasty! If you ever want to try something different I would recommend this beer.

Cheers!

15. godlessape

godlessape Savant (310) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

Love that Spaten. Das bier ist gut.