East Coast Beers Available on the West Coast

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wesbray, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Simply put, how readily available are good East Coast beers on the West coast?

2. There are good East Coast beers? ;)

bifrost17, Idris and beertunes like this.
  3. Check out Seek-a-Brew for CA, OR and WA to see for yourself (because a lot of the repliers may disagree with you on what are the "good East Coast beers").

4. If you're on the West Coast, with so much good beer to choose from, why would you even want to drink an East Coast beer?

jrnyc, Idris and OMsweetOM like this.
  5. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Cool list Jesskidden. I checked it out - from that list Pretty Things, Allagash and Ommegang jumped out at me as being some of the better east coast beer available in CA.

6. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Well we can't get Harpoon out here. I have not been able to have that many east coast exclusives as I live in AZ. Now if I drive to El Paso TX(4 hours by car) then I can get some. Strange!

Awesome link Jess. Thanks.

7. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

That's messed up...good luck without Heady and HF!

Ranbot, jglowe77, RoninTK3 and 2 others like this.
  8. I've had them both and they're great but if I had access to Alpine, Kern River, Russian River, etc. I wouldn't miss them at all. Besides to get either of them, I have to travel 4 - 6 hrs. from my NY home unless I get incredibly lucky and some HF is on tap locally. Heady is only sold [legally] in Vermont and HF sends down a keg every so often. I know beers from the breweries I mentioned above aren't exactly on every store's shelves but there seems to be more excellent beers on the West Coast than there are here on the East Coast. In fact, I'm awaiting a package from a friend traveling in CA but he won't tell me what he sent, just that I would be a hoppy man.

9. There are some breweries, but not all that many.

10. smonice

My big concern is NJ. NJ has some decent breweries but not anything that is really top notch, yet. Kane is doing some great things and the others are as well but nothing on par with a place like CA.

11. Well NJ is closer to PA than NY and there are some excellent breweries in PA.

12. Don't know where in Jersey you are, but on March 5 Kane is doing a tap takeover at the Cloverleaf in Caldwell

sweetlouc likes this.
  13. smonice

I am about 15 min from Kane so I get my growler filled all the time!

14. You are an "Advocate of Beer", yes? Then why the hell not?

15. Yes, as a matter of fact, I am.....even if I say so myself.

16. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

The hoppy beers on the west coast sure are good.

Other than Kryptonite, Boy King, Double Standard, Flower Power, Heady Topper, Hopzilla, Outrage, Head High, War Elephant, Ephraim, Double Galaxy, Double Citra, Double Sunshine, Shotgun Willy, Amazeballs, Jai Alai, Lunch, Finest Kind, and a buncha others I am too lazy to write, we don't have any here on the east coast to compare.

17. Certainly it seems that more beer gets sent west to east than vice versa. It is nice to have Victory, Ommegang, Dogfish Head and Pretty Things out here; I'm remember a few years back Hi-Time did carry a few Stoudt's beers, but I have seen them in ages.

18. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

bifrost17 likes this.
  19. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I believe it's a lot less than vice versa, but maybe not

In Seattle we get (from memory):
    Sam Adams
    Victory
    Ommegang
    Dogfish Head
    Southern Tier
    Shipyard
    ...?

The only one I would really miss is Ommegang.

20. I'm just wondering, who is making world class lagers on the west coast? Is it common for California people to walk in a bar and see a top of the line Dopplebock or Weizenbock on tap? Besides Reality Czech, what's the best pilsner available out there? How about an English bitter? Or an excellent brown ale? What do you drink during Oktoberfest? What about an Irish stout? Does Sierra Nevada make your best Hefeweizen? Wit beers?

Well, we drink all of those out here on the east as well as the best hoppy ales you guys make. We get your stuff distributed out here because our distributors care about bringing the best of every style to their customers and we gobble them all up.

For some of those on the East Coast who think the grass is always greener, just a reminder: Hill Farmstead is probably more available on the east coast than Kern River is on the West.

I can find the best of your best out here for the most part, but I wouldn't give up our Festbiers in October, or our bocks in the spring, our pilsners and hefeweizens during the summer and our Doppelbocks in the winter for anything.

ThirstyFace and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  21. Dude...well played :cool:
    You brought a gun to a knife fight.

brother_kenneth and jaIsPoAn like this.
  22. How about Goose Island? According to SeekABrew they have "limited/regional distribution"...

23. If you think Goose Island is "East Coast" I don't know what to tell you anymore.

ThirstyFace likes this.
  24. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Well if you have no interest in HT, Maine beers, ccb and I could go on, you should be ISO

25. Lest anyone get the wrong impression, I merely linked to the site, all credit and "Thanks" should go to BA "FalconA" and the earlier work by "Nickd717"for that amazing, informative website.

cavedave and victory4me like this.
  26. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (990) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

It's not, but distribution-wise, it's a lot easier to get GI on the east coast than it is on the west coast.

27. Accodring to their web site Total Wine is selling Flying Fish from NJ in all their stores nationwide. Most Flying Fish beers are good. Exit 16 a DIPA brewed with wild rice is outstanding. That
    is the Flying Fish web site

victory4me likes this.
  28. Same goes for Bell's and Founders.

29. I have had HT, Lunch, Zoe, Jai Alai and I could go on as well.
    I never said I had no interest in East Coast beers, I merely stated that if I were on the West Coast, with so many great beers to choose from, I wouldn't seek out East Coast beers.

30. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Understood but its nice to try new beers. I'm a big fan of west coast!!

31. Yes it is nice to try new beers. And I'm a big fan of beer!!!!!

jaIsPoAn likes this.
  32. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

In the east we believe in beer. In the west you believe in IPAs.

33. Perhaps he occasionally enjoys something other than a hoppy ale, an RIS, or a sour. Maybe he actually enjoys something that is properly lagered every so often. I know that's blasphemy to actually say around these parts, but seriously?

whitekiboko likes this.
  34. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Maybe you should check out the new top 55 list from the Pacific North West. Blows your theory right out of the water. (Thank you again Bros for this needed update)

draheim likes this.
  35. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Maybe I should, but in the meanwhile I'll use this forum as my pulse on WC beer fans. If its not hopped to the hilt (or an RIS) than it's not worthy. Nevertheless, in the EC we are more likely to pay homage to England, Germany and Belgium, which makes for a more exciting pool of beers to choose from.

36. mudbug

Yes go check it out, while I have to admit there was a certain amount of truth to your assertions based on the old West Coast list, now that it has been brought into something that more resembles reality (No longer the worlds biggest region) You will find that the PNW list is right in line with what you like.

37. I just looked at that list and saw no lagers.

38. mudbug

New Jersey, right? Well go and check out the top 55 from your region. I see exactly zero lagers there too.

39. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Well, they are only available draft, but I firmly believe Chuckanut is making the finest Lagers in America.

40. Wait, are you trying to compare some small operation that doesn't package to the well distributed amazing lagers of the East Coast? That would be like me saying "As far as I'm concerned Tired Hands is making the best Hoppy beers and Saisons in the country," which might be true and they are only a couple miles up the street from me, but how is that of any use at all in this discussion?