1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

East Coast Beers Available on the West Coast

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wesbray, Feb 1, 2013.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Well, since the several posts above mine were talking about a lack of West Coast Lagers, I just wanted to point out that what are possibly the finest Lagers being made in the U.S., are being made on the West Coast.
  2. The entire lists for both Pacific and Northwest are almost exclusively RIS, hop-forward ales and sours, with the exception of a couple porters.

Furthermore, how on earth is that a good reflection of the overall brewing quality of the coast? Hell, the lists for New England and the Mid-Atlantic are rather similar. Top 50 beers? Who cares?

Everyone always talks about how Portland is the mecca of brewing. I think I can count on one hand the number of Portland breweries who have put out more than one lager that has been reviewed. That's insane! An enormous facet of brewing is completely ignored and unappreciated.

The lack of overall appreciation staggers me. Don't get me wrong, I love west coast beers, but if you honestly believe that the beer on the east coast is unworthy it is due to a lack of appreciation and a constant need of being slugged in the face with flavors every time you drink without even giving the quality of what you are drinking a second thought. I said this in another thread, but my favorite band (who happens to be from the west coast) sums up my beer feelings perfectly:

"There's something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be. Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?"
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  3. Yes, and as I pointed out, I think the point is as useless as those who have used Heady Topper as their example that the East Coast is making equally good hop-forward beers.
  4. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Those I have had from Heater Allen also are quite good.
    hopsbreath and beertunes like this.
  5. Olde Mecklenburg in Charlotte NC makes the best German-style lagers in the U.S. Everyone knows that....
  6. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

Ever heard of these guys?

[​IMG]
  7. The guy asked a simple question, and it turned into some stupid West Coast vs East Coast? Really? What are you, a bunch of 90's era rappers?
    BenFrost likes this.
  8. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

You west coasters can get fuzzy baby ducks right? hehe
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  9. I feel like "No? Oh, that's right. Shut the fuck up." would be an appropriate follow up sentence.
  10. i wish we had Surly, Tree Floyds
  11. sorry midwest
  12. Sorry for what? Please explain your disdain?
  13. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

To answer the OP, I honestly can't think of a single east coast brewery I have access to in Oregon that I've purchased within the past 12 months. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed east coast beer, but I've had to trade for Cigar City, Hill Farmstead, and Pretty Things. As has been eluded too, multiple definitions of good exist. We get Victory sure, Ommegang sits on shelves too as does Allagash, but with a lot of Oregon brewed alternatives I usually buy local. The last east coast beer I bought might have been some Three Philosophers picked up in '11. About $7 a bottle at the time was a screaming deal. Now they're $13 and while still apropriately priced, I just can't bring myself to pay the inflation. There's just so much selection available from Oregon alone it's impossible to drink everything just from this one state.
    mudbug likes this.
  14. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Yes, they're excellent. Not packaged is the excellent Engleberg Pils from Upright as well as Occidental, Block 15, Migration, and The Commons' attempts at various lager styles.