1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

East Coast Road Trip - DFH / Cigar City (Hunahpu IP?)

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Fujii13, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

Hey guys, need some advice. I'm making my annual drive from Albany, NY to Orlando, FL next week and I'm looking to find some stops along the way (to and from). I leave on Thursday morning, hoping to make a very quick stop at DFH Brewpub Rehoboth Beach and make it to my brother's place in Ocoee, FL some time on Friday. I'll be there for the week and leave the following Friday morning. I have a few options and questions and maybe you guys can weigh in here and give me some help.

First, I plan on leaving Albany as early as I can Thursday morning and stopping at the DFH Brewpub sometime after lunch. I unfortunately cannot stay for long and need to keep on driving so I'll be limited to one or two drinks (although worst case my girlfriend can take the wheel afterwards so I don't mind if they're two extremely high alcohol drinks!). What are the must-haves at the Brewpub? Is there anything there that I absolutely can't get any place else? Can I get DFH vodka there? How about food recommendations? Swag recommendations are helpful, too. Also take note that I'll be there the day before The Weekend of Compelling Ales and Whatnot is happening and I'm not sure if that goes for or against my favor.

Last year we stopped at SweetWater Tavern in Virginia and we're looking to find someplace new this year. We also stayed overnight in Richmond but this year we're going to be driving straight through the night.

As for Cigar City, while I'll be arriving in Ocoee some time on Friday and technically I could drive over to Cigar City and make Hunahpu Day, I'd be wasting most of the only Saturday I'll have to spend with my two nephews who I only get to see them a couple of times a year. This would make me feel like a huge douche so I'm not going to do that. However, I do plan on making a visit to Cigar City on one of their school days, probably that Monday or Tuesday. The same questions for DFH Brewpub apply. Must-have beer, food, swag recommendations? Also, if anyone is looking to do an in-person trade for Hunahpu I'd be will to bring whatever I have access to up in NY down with me. I even have some Heady Topper from The Alchemist I can keep in a cooler the whole way to trade as well. Let me know, I don't mind making a run to the beverage center before leaving for this trip.

Usually we take one night for the boys to go off to drink and smoke cigars and the ladies stay at home with my brother's kids and drink wine by the pool. Last year we hit up a World of Beer. This year I'm leaning towards going to Redlight Redlight. My brother has never been and it's so highly rated I figured I'd try to make it there. If that's not the right decision or if there's anyplace else I should stop too, feel free to chime in.

Lastly, I'm looking for other ideas to stop while on the road itself. It's a shame to go through so many states and only eat at crappy fast food and rest stops so I try to go local whenever I can. It does not have to beer related but it does have to be delicious and relatively quick so whatever you suggest I can try to work in a stop either on the way or back. I usually use my trusty TV Food Maps app to hit up places that have been on Man vs Food or Food Network, etc. but if I can plan ahead of time that would be great. Thanks guys!

2. CGMLS3

CGMLS3 Savant (420) Florida Jul 30, 2010

Good idea on Redlight Redlight. You may get lucky and get some interesting beers on tap at CCB if you go on Monday. But Hunaphu Day is awesome, you should really try to swing it of you can.

3. Fujii13

Cigar City is about three hours round trip from where I'm staying so while there's a slim possibility I could make it later that night after the kids go to bed, I seriously doubt that's gonna happen.

4. CGMLS3

CGMLS3 Savant (420) Florida Jul 30, 2010

Did you think about coming out Friday evening? Plenty of events going on for Tampa Beer week.

5. Fujii13

Yeah I have, but again, I'm running into the 3 hour round trip to Tampa and back issue. On top of already driving 20+ hours to get there on Friday. Might be an option if I leave a day ahead of time though.

6. even if just driving through Richmond, if it is in the hours that their tasting room is open you REALLY should stop by hardywood park brewery. its less than 1/4 a mile off the highway and worth the few minutes to either taste something or grab a bottle/growler. http://www.hardywood.com/

7. Fujii13

Cool I'll star that on Google Maps. Tasting room only or food, too?

(Caution: nerd information.) I star all of my potential stops all around the country. Since I use Google Navigation through my Android phone, when we're ready to make a stop I can just pull up my starred locations, see which one is closest and head straight there. Makes road trips like this with indefinite stops a lot easier.

8. Of you are driving through Atlanta, a stop at the Brick Store Pub is highly recommended.

9. Fujii13

I'll be coming down 95 so I'm not sure I'll head through Atlanta at all. Starred.

10. Tasting room only

11. As far as DFH brewpub beers to check out, I really dig the 75 minute on cask - I make sure to get it every time I make it to DFH, and it never disappoints!

There are plenty of places just a stone's throw off of 95 in Philly that would make a nice pit stop, but if you're trying to make good time to FL and you're stopping in Rehoboth anyway, it might not make the most sense.

Enjoy your trip!

12. Fujii13

I get 75 minute on cask locally about twice a year so I'll have to pass on that. And yeah, last year we stopped in Philly because I am a cheesesteak FEIND! Went to Tony Luke's, it was right off the highway and a quick and easy stop. Unforch it doesn't make sense to stop in Philly and then Rehoboth a couple of hours later. Hopefully on the way home.

I'm also planning on going to Capone's some time in April/May.

13. Fair enough! DFH usually keeps a couple of Brewpub exclusives on tap at any given time, so I'm sure there will be something you stumble across that is unique while you're there (although I'm not sure how the WOCAW will affect the selection).
    If you're into cheesesteaks, you have to try a steak at John's Roast Pork (I fully realize the irony of the name) sometime you're going through town. It's a couple of miles off of 95 in South Phillly, and it's only open mornings through late lunch, but it's the best steak in Philly IMO.

14. Fujii13

Hell yeah, this is the kind of local info I'm looking for! Definitely gonna stop on the way back.

15. +1 to this, they have some very tasty brews, was very impressed by the beers shared by a fellow BA at the Sexual Chocolate release!

16. I'll second the recommendation of John's Roast Pork. After several trips to Philly I finally got around to trying John's last September. Oh course, you can't go wrong with Tony Luke's either. :)

Agree about Capone's as well - outstanding beer bar and bottle shop. Wish it wasn't about 800 miles away!

Since you're coming down I-95 you could detour just a bit and stop in at Moon River brewpub in Savannah. Decent brews and food, and right in the historic section of town.

17. Fujii13

Well, I ended up going to Hunahpu day. I was at the Strawberry Fest in Plant City that afternoon and my brother decided we should go so we parted ways with the women and kids and spent the rest of the night at Cigar City. It was extremely enjoyable, with some seriously great beer to drink and I was even able to procure some Hunahpu in the 7:30 line.

I took a ton of pics on the trip and will be posting them on my Tumblr through out the week and I'll link them here. Highlights of the trip were:
    DFH Brew House
    Mash House in Fayetteville
    Total Wine for a IP beer trade
    Hunahpu Day
    Redlight Redlight
    Ceviche (killer tapas)
    Cigar City Tour
    The Pit in Raleigh (EPIC BBQ)
    And Tony Luke's around 11PM on the way home or else I would have gone to John's Roast Pork. Might have to swing that way for my trip to Capone's.

manaox2 and shangwang like this.
  18. Fujii13

Wow, month later I finally processed all of the photos I took (over 200 hundred), and whittled them down to a post per location/visit. I'm NOT a pro blogger by any means (and I still have a day job) so it took me a while to do the pics and write up little blurbs about each spot. Now I'm totally caught up to start writing about some of the other things that have happened in the past month (much less frequently, luckily). If any of you are interested in checking out the pics you can find them here. Planning on making this an annual thing. Can't wait for my next Cigar City stop!

19. ricksrealm

ricksrealm Aficionado (220) Florida Nov 10, 2011

NICE trip and pics!