Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...

East Coaster heading to AZ in a couple weeks

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by BradStokley, Jan 24, 2013.

1. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (430) Maryland Jan 19, 2013 Verified

Can anyone give me some recommendations of good beers I can get in Scottsdale, AZ that may not be available here in MD? Thanks in advance!

2. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (245) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

Your best selections are going to be at:
    Papago Brewery (Scottsdale)
    Tops Liquor (Tempe) but very close to Scottsdale.
    Total Wine & More (Google them as they have multiple stores around the valley).

If you are looking for local breweries here to try, we have quite a few. But a few of my favorites are.
    San Tan Brewery(Chandler) beer avail in above stores.
    Four Peaks Brewery(Scottsdale) Also at above stores.
    Papago Brewery(Scottsdale)

3. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (245) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

Forgot. Check out seekabrew.com Use it quite often when traveling. You can compare two states at once to see what each gets and or what they don't get. It's fairly accurate but I have run into a few circumstances where it labeled wrong or did not list some. But, it's a good place to start.

4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,245) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Total Wine & BevMo let you search their inventories online and view prices. That's a good starting place. Their Bell's Hopslam hit shelves yesterday too. $16.99/sixpack at BevMo.

5. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Advocate (715) Arizona Dec 20, 2011 Verified

*As a side note* - I wonder why BevMo is selling Hopslam $3 cheaper than Total Wine? I usually prefer TW because I thought their prices overall were better...?

Also might want to check out AZ Wine Company. Sometimes they've got some bottles that tend to linger compared to other shops...and they've got about a dozen taps or so.

6. sholland119

sholland119 Advocate (720) Pennsylvania Sep 8, 2005 Verified

Odells and Deschutes are my favorite breweries that I can get in AZ that I cannot get here in PA. I like the (AZ brewed) Lumberyard IPA as well.

EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  7. yemenmocha

One of the employees told me they were given a lower price, but you can't always trust what they say. This is a no brainer on where to buy it. It's no fresher at one retailer vs. another, but you can voluntarily choose to pay 3,4,5+ dollars more for the identical product if you want to. ;)

8. luwak

luwak Savant (395) Arizona Mar 2, 2010 Verified

Right if you want to support a local beer store you can pay a little more and buy it there.

9. yemenmocha

Except that we're not talking about a "little more" here. :)

10. luwak

Yeah i'll recommend this too. They actually had Anchorage brewing before anybody in the state...not sure how that happened
    And they have often have a few great bottles that are already long gone at Papago and Tops.

Nice ppl there too.

11. bigbelcher

bigbelcher Advocate (515) Arizona Jul 10, 2003

Bobby has left there to go to work for a distributor. The people there now are green and the blonde owner behind the counter is often a bee-atch. Atlas Bistro has gone downhill also, Keenan and Josh opened their own place, the Pig and Pickle. Not a whole lot of beer but they are doing it right.

12. luwak

Wow i didn't know all this...that's a shame... i called there a bunch of times and they were always very cool. Well i guess it was bobby who was...
    Well now i kinda want to go back and see what it is like....