1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

East of Minneapolis

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by OMBeer, Mar 2, 2014.

1. OMBeer

OMBeer Disciple (70) North Carolina Jan 24, 2014

Going to Minneapolis, Oakdale, Hudson, WI area next week looking for local brew, any suggestions?

2. MykeJ

MykeJ Aficionado (220) Minnesota Oct 6, 2013

Dennis Brothers in Cottage Grove has a great selection and very helpful.

DBL_Steve likes this.
  3. Two essential stops that will pretty much get you about 80-90% of what you'd need for anything that gets bottled in the area.

Four Firkins in St. Louis Park. Specialty beer shop that if it's distributed in Minnesota, they carry it. Drawback is they're out of the most popular stuff quick. Friendly helpful folks, tell them you want something local and what style of beers you're interested in and they can point you in the right direction.

Casanova Liquors in Hudson. They even label a shelf of what you can't find in Minnesota.

Almost anything else will be a have to be a brewpub or taproom tasting/pickup. I'm sure others will sing the praises of specific brews and breweries like Surly, Indeed, Steel Toe, Town Hall, Fulton, etc. Spend a few minutes looking at some other threads in here to see what's in season right now.

4. Zipps Liquor in Minneapolis or Blue Max in Burnsville have a good selection of bottles. Lift Bridge Brewing is on the west edge of Stillwater not too far from Oakdale. If their Barrel Aged Silhouette is still on tap, it is definitely worth a stop.

5. Erdinger2003

Erdinger2003 Savant (460) Iowa Sep 16, 2005

Casanova Liquor has a good selection. I'm not going to say what Iowa brewery they have exactly, but it rhymes with Smoppling Smoliath.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  6. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

Heritage in Maplewood is only a couple miles north west of Oakdale. It is definitely worth a stop.

7. I'd also suggest Stinson Wine Beer and Spirits in Minneapolis. The best craft beer store in the Northeast Minneapolis area, hands down.

SipIt and McRyan like this.
  8. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

I agree! Daniel and his team are knowledgeable and they prices are spot on.

SipIt and JZossMPLS like this.
  9. Dave's Brewfarm near Baldwin, WI is open that weekend. It is seriously well worth the drive.

Chaz, billhelm, McRyan and 3 others like this.
  10. OMBeer

OMBeer Disciple (70) North Carolina Jan 24, 2014

Thanks for the options, now just have to convince the wife we're going to be taking a few side trips.
    When you're in Charlotte, stop by Olde Mecklenburg Brewery!

11. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Yes, Daniel is a great guy. I go out of my way to give them as much of my business as possible.

Dude saw me carrying a fire pit down the line at Darkness Day, chased me down, and brought my friend and I back to his table to try some BC Rare.

McRyan and FurnaceCowgirl like this.
  12. billhelm

billhelm Savant (380) Minnesota Feb 9, 2011

Ale Jail in St Paul is a little closer to the eastern burbs then some of the other options listed here, if you're looking for another bottle shop with a good local selection.

evilgenius1917 likes this.