1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Easy drinking Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerDummy, Mar 10, 2014.

1. BeerDummy

BeerDummy Zealot (90) New York Feb 26, 2014

Beerdummy noob question number 5:

Are there any easy-drinking stouts out there, or are they all by their very nature thick and 'slow,' so to speak?

Dont get me wrong, I love these, and always have lots of goodies on hand (breakfast stout, ten fidy, etc)., but I have to be in the mood for them.

I enjoy Guiness Dry Stout (what you would find on tap in a bar), not b/c of the flavor but b/c its the most desirable and drinkable choice amongst bud, coors, etc if im in a shit bar.

I'm just wondering if there are any quality stouts out there with a lighter body, or do they not exist?

Thanks for your input and patience.

2. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (385) New York Oct 31, 2013

Sierra Nevada kills it with thier stout. To me, that's what stouts are. Bell's Kalamazoo is another. Anchor Porter also comes to mind.

3. An easy drinking stout is often, but not always, a porter.

In that regard, I'd recommend Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes. For something across the ocean, Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter is excellent.

For actual stouts, Magic Hat Heart of Darkness is lighter, but still full of great flavor, and is one of the few bright spots in their lineup.

4. Sierra Nevada Stout, and Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout come to mind right away.

This is also a good point.

5. Ever tried Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout? Also really any milk/sweet stout would work - Sam Adams Cream, Left Hand Milk, Duck Rabbit Milk, and so on. They aren't as cloying and heavy as Creme Brulee or others like it.

ChanChan likes this.
  6. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

I've been looking for a regular stout ever since Goose Island stopped brewing their Oatmeal Stout. The closest I've come to drinking any stout regularly has been Deschutes' Obsidian.

7. BeerDummy

nice, ive been seeing the bells around but have been avoiding b/c like i said, i have a few stouts on hand already that i dont get to right away.

i will check it out.

8. Murphy's Irish Stout. A step above Guinness. Very easy to drink, readily available.

9. try a really good baltic porter.

10. BeerDummy

not yet, but i'll give it a whirl on your recommendation. i always pass by it in trader joe's (talking about sam smith's)

11. Wolaver's Oatmel Stout is very easy to drink.

Ranbot and Givemebeer like this.
  12. LMT

LMT Savant (330) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

If we're including porters too, then Fuller's London Porter is worth a try.

Lower ABV, but one of the tastier "easy drinking" porters out there.

Ranbot likes this.
  13. I'll also throw Southern Tier 2XStout or Three Heads Big Head Stout in the ring. Where are you located?

ChipMurray likes this.
  14. BeerDummy

NYC.

looks like i'll be hitting the beer shop up tonight.

15. Rhf9120

Rhf9120 Savant (300) Rhode Island Jan 4, 2014

I was also going to recommend 2XStout great stout and very drinkable.

16. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (385) New York Oct 31, 2013

I think you may have missed the point

MattTastrophee likes this.
  17. jamis

jamis Savant (280) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2008

I tend to prefer the 'thick and slow' variety so my perception may be off.... but I tend to find milk stouts pretty easy to drink (on the lighter side, lower ABV, though usually more sweet).

Give Left Hand Nitro and/or Milk stouts a try.

Mongrel likes this.
  18. michman

michman Savant (265) Illinois Oct 14, 2005

left hand milk stout, Bells Kzoo stout, sierra nevada. there are tons of easy drinking lower ABV stouts out there.

19. Three Heads is a Rochester brewery, but I think it's possible you'd see them in NYC.

20. Jnashed

Jnashed Aficionado (140) Virginia Feb 14, 2014

Three Flyods Moloko is a revelation....

NonicPanic likes this.
  21. BeerDummy

you guys are speaking my language with lower abv stouts...aside from those, i always seem to have a fridge full of high abv ipa's that i try to save for weekends.

michman likes this.
  22. Kendo

Kendo Advocate (505) New York Dec 23, 2005

This is also the season for Irish Dry Stouts - i.e., stouts brewed (allegedly) in the Guinness/Murphy's/Beamish tradition. Brooklyn brews a good one and even Saranac's version is solid and both should be easy to find in NYC.

23. I'd also suggest Mean Old Tom by Maine Brewing Co.

NonicPanic, fredmugs, dedbeer and 2 others like this.
  24. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

You nailed it. SN Stout.

I was pondering over various offerings, then read your post and went "bingo".

25. waxman

waxman Initiate (15) North Carolina Sep 20, 2013

try Terrapin Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout

smooth like a lager.

NonicPanic likes this.
  26. Jlabs

Jlabs Savant (280) New York Nov 11, 2013

LHB Milk Stout Nitro

27. North Coast old #38. +1 Heart of Darkness. Most of the Dark Horse winter one's (excepting Plead the 5th, which is an absolutely fantastic Imperial, and may qualify as easy drinking for that style). One oatmeal and tres blueberries are standouts.

28. If you are lactose intolerant, be careful with the milk stouts.

Murphy's
    Beamish
    Sierra Nevada
    Fuller's

itchytasty likes this.
  29. Victory Baltic Thunder, though a porter, is very easy to drink. Good luck finding it outside the brewpub tho.

30. As stout is a short form of "stout porter" it's difficult to see your point.

31. RobinLee

RobinLee Savant (430) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2012

FW Velvet Merlin, Great Lakes Edmund Fitz, Founders Porter, Sierra Nevada Porter. All more or less easily found, good pricing, and delicious.

Furlinator likes this.
  32. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Savant (440) Ohio Feb 23, 2013

Not a stout but a porter, Edmund Fitz is fantastic. Easy drinking, and a lower abv, quite flavorful as well.

33. I was being slightly facetious. I was trying to say that if you are looking for a beer that has stout-like characteristics, but is easy-drinking, a porter is a good option.

34. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Instead of naming individual choices I'd recommend the following styles:

1) Nitro- Almost everything on nitro is bound to be rather light on the mouthfeel and easy drinking. Even some of the heavier, barrel aged nitro stouts (BA Frangelic Stout on Nitro) mask the heavier body and ABV. That being said, most nitro stouts I've found have always been in the 4%-6% range and are quite easy drinking. Only downfall is that they're almost exclusively beers that come on tap and not bottled.

2) Irish or Dry- You're more apt to find these in the spring around St. Patty's but most in the category are similarly found between 4%-6%. These stouts are often named dry due to the lack of robust flavor and smaller ABVs. Would recommend Short's Uncle Steve's, Brooklyn Irish Stout, Deschutes Obsidian.

3) Milk/Sweet/Cream- These can sometimes have a heavier mouthfeel to them although the addition of lactose sugar makes them quite enjoyable. Would recommend Left Hand Milk Stout, Sam Adam's Cream Stout, and St Peter's Cream Stout.

CTbrew32 likes this.
  35. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (650) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Sam Smith varieties of stout and porter (most all are around 5% and even there Imperial clocks in at only 7%).

Anderson Valley's Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is really tasty and lower ABV.

ifnkovhg and brewlover517 like this.
  36. I'll have to echo some suggestions and say Deschutes Obsidian, Sierra Nevada Stout, and Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin; these are my go-to's.

As much of a HUGE Deschutes fan as I am, I think Velvet Merlin totally rocks and SN isn't too far behind in my book. Also as stated above and will be stated plenty more times, don't rule out porters. A stout is just a "stout porter" (strong porter), and most porters feature medium-light bodies and reasonable ABVs yet are chocked full of flavor. Deschutes Black Butte Porter is one of my all-time favorite brews!

mudbug likes this.
  37. fatboy91

fatboy91 Aficionado (215) Illinois Apr 26, 2012

Definitely check out Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat. Very easy drinking stout at 5% ABV. Also comes in a vanilla bean variation for a bit more sweetness.

tr9871 and teal like this.
  38. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Easy drinking stouts = porters.

Then again I'm one of few who actually draw a line between porters and stouts, so.

kirkfrailey and bcp5296d like this.
  39. duck rabbit milk stout