1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Easy drinking Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerDummy, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Your search is over: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/429/1305/

2. brewlover517

brewlover517 Savant (270) Michigan Jan 23, 2014

I second this suggestion, "Anderson Valley's Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is really tasty and lower ABV."

3. If you ever see Victory's Donnybrook Stout, give it a try. One of the easiest drinking beers I've ever had, regardless of style. It's only 3.7% as well, so you can put down a few without much worry about getting over intoxicated.

Clint_Yoho likes this.
  4. medb

medb Aspirant (30) Aug 27, 2013

Lost Coast's 8 Ball Oatmeal Stour is very nice.

5. Pug

Pug Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 6, 2012

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
    Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro (in bottles)
    Deschutes Obsidian

6. Not at all. I find that DuckRabbit baltic porter is very similar to what OP is looking for. All the flavors of a high quality stout with a slightly lighter body.

BeerDummy likes this.
  7. Ska Steel Toe. Tallgrass vanilla bean buffalo sweat. Those are a couple of easy drinkers I have access to here in Kansas.

8. BeerDummy

BeerDummy Zealot (90) New York Feb 26, 2014

Thanks everyone, there's 12x more out there than i was aware of and it all sounds awesome. i'm fucked.

I wasnt aware of the whole "milk" style, good christ that sounds delicious.

9. Give Harviestoun Old Engine Oil porter a go, or even Maui Coconut Porter

10. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Sam smith organic chocolate stout and guinness extra stout. =)

NonicPanic and Feel_the_Darkness like this.
  11. Summit Oatmeal Stout delicious easy to drink but only on tap

Handyandy58 likes this.
  12. mrkdwrds

mrkdwrds Savant (325) California Dec 2, 2010

Modern Times Black House is an easy drinker for sure. Tasty too.

13. TooGood

TooGood Advocate (500) Minnesota Jan 28, 2014

I second this, awesome beer. Wish they bottled it!

14. Catracho5

Catracho5 Savant (400) California Aug 10, 2013

Easy drinking stouts I have tried and considered great session stouts are Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, Velvet Merlin, Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Old No. 38. But I love an imperial stout!

15. You might consider looking into Black Ales, which don't seem to ne listed as a style on this site so I don't know how to give you a taste and mouthfeel description, but one that I really like is New Belgium's 1554 Enlightened Ale. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/1914/ This one might have less roasted grain flavor than what is in a stout, but it is easily found and is delicious.

16. It may have been because of a long day at work, but I just had 2 Weyerbacher Heresy's that went down very easily. Very tasty, smooth, easy-drinking barrel aged stout

17. I feel like I suggest Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate stout every other day to someone, but I'll second that offering in here again. That and Young's Double Chocolate. So easy to drink, the both of them, and they're both light and right around 5% ABV.

Also try O'Hara's Irish Dry. Bit better than Guinness or Murphys, I think. Easy drinker if I've ever had one.

Beer-A-Lot, NonicPanic and teal like this.
  18. Bigstein09

Bigstein09 Zealot (90) Connecticut Oct 23, 2012

Guinness Foreign Extra is superior to regular Guinness and might be what you're looking for. Others said Sierra Nevada and Sam Smith Oatmeal which are both really good recommendations.

19. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Many good responses and I'd just be repeating quite a few but I have to state that Tallgrass's Buffalo Sweat is one tasty, year round stout. Love it and it's always in the fridge.

20. Some of my favourite English session stouts I haven't seen anyone recommended here: Hook Norton Double Stout, Shepherd Neame Double Stout, Fuller's Black Cab Stout.

21. I can't think of a lighter bodied stout than the beer that comes out of the ubiquitous Guinness tap.

22. kirkfrailey

kirkfrailey Savant (250) Michigan Feb 25, 2013

NonicPanic likes this.
  23. BeerDummy

yup...i was originally just wondering if there was a stout similiar in light-bodiness but actually being good instead of just passable.

Providence likes this.
  24. Dig it. I recently had Founders Oatmeal Stout on tap. I had never seen or heard of that beer before. I have plenty of their breakfast stout and their porter, but not their oatmeal stout. Anyway, it clocks in around 4.5% abv. and is extremely easy drinking. Search that one out if you can.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  25. This right here. I had it this past weekend as well. I was super impressed by it. My pint went down in near record time. It was a great beer.

Providence likes this.
  26. Also try O'Hara's Irish Dry. Bit better than Guinness or Murphys, I think. Easy drinker if I've ever had one.[/quote]

+1 for O'Hara's.

Very good sessionable stout. Just picked some up for St. Pats Day.

27. arlingtonjoe

arlingtonjoe Savant (355) Illinois Jan 20, 2013

lakefront fuel café and some finches secret stache stout for the lighter side with some flavor if they are available in your area.

28. Mackeson's XXX Stout 4.9%abv

29. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Savant (495) New York May 14, 2013

Hold on. OP is in my hood, so I'll just state what is easily available around town. Forget Deschutes, Terrapin, and FFF; those just aren't happening.

Go for these:
    Bell's Kalamazoo (a few of you mentioned it already. It is the very definition of an easy drinking stout)
    Anderson Valley Barney Flats
    Butternuts Moo Thunder (tasty for what it is; easy to find in NY and super cheap)
    Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
    FW Velvet Merlin
    New Holland The Poet (my go-to oatmeal stout)
    Sixpoint Otis (draft only, but it's my favorite offering from them)

30. Velvet Merlin

31. BeerDummy

Nice, thanks. i pass the Sam Smiths every day, maybe the Butternuts too. I'll keep an eye out for New Holland.

God dammit there are too many beers i need to go try. I'm swimming in fucking beer.

32. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Savant (495) New York May 14, 2013

Poor you. Part of the fun is trying these for the first time. I'm still in the discovery phase myself, as I currently have 16 beers in the fridge or cellaring in my closet, and of those 16 I've only ever had 1 of them, and it was a BCBCS, which I had only once on tap.

33. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (460) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Marquis' point was that he feels there is no difference between a stout and a porter, but we've had those debates before and I really don't think this is an appropriate place to have that debate again. It's not my intention to start it, so if you or the OP want to review the issue I would highly recommend reading through these discussion threads:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/difference-between-a-stout-and-a-porter.127360/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...-an-american-porter-an-american-stout.126064/

(For anyone who is tempted to debate this here, it's highly doubtful any point will be raised that wasn't already discussed to death in the threads above, so save yourself the trouble. Besides, it doesn't really help the OP.)

My takeaway is that I'd hate for the OP to avoid either stouts or porters due to a pre-conceived notion about them, because even if you think there's a difference, there are many beers that break the rules and the OP could miss out some great beers.

34. I really enjoyed Elysian split shot(5.6%)..I downed that pint really easily

35. Guinness is what I think of when I think easy drinking stout.

36. Though its not a stout try Founders Porter, its delicious.

NonicPanic likes this.
  37. Jack's Abby Framminghammer. Labeles as a Baltic Porter, but if you told me it was just a smooth stout I'd be hard pressed to argue.

38. medb

medb Aspirant (30) Aug 27, 2013

It tasted too much liek a chocolate milk shake for my liking, fist sip was lovely though.

39. Oatmeal + Milk Stouts (also known as sweet stouts) are generally easier drinking than other stouts because oats and lactose sugars have a smoothing rounded quality. This subdues some of the intense roast that stouts generally have. Otherwise, just like people have been saying, porters are easier drinking than most stouts. They are actually the father of the stout style!

Try LH Milk Stout/Nitro or New Holland Poet. Edmund Fitzgerald is a excellent porter to try as well. Founders makes a delicious porter but it is rather rich in comparison with other porters.

Clint_Yoho likes this.
  40. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

To me, most stouts up to 6% abv are relatively easy drinking stouts.