1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

eBay Begins Removing Alcohol Listings After '20/20' Report on Teen Buyer

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

This is very sad to me because my wife gets my a Westy 12 every year for Christmas and now she doesnt know how to get it for me.

black13, Mavajo and RyanMM like this.
  2. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

this I geuss I can understand. Westy 12 was going for around 2-30 which wasn't out of the question. but when kbs was going for 50 a 4 pack that was out of control

3. You can do anything you wish, I just may not want to be your friend.

jrnyc likes this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

5. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

"cigarette" sales may have continued, but their sales have seriously slumped. Thanks for proving my point. You also realize there has to be a saturation point on taxes for them to still be effective.

6. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I also said that "I'm not saying it shouldn't be taxed" which directly contradicts "laissez-faire" which most would agree has never existed. My whole point of my earlier post was that these high alcohol taxes have kept breweries out of TN and is contributing to a slower growth of new breweries opening than other states.

7. RyanMM

RyanMM Aficionado (210) Michigan Mar 12, 2009

I wouldn't look down on the buyer. It's the scalper who's the jerk in that situation.

8. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Well I can't argue with that. I've never sold any beer from anywhere before. I've made a few trades. I have a small collection of beers sitting in a closet. The only way I can see myself selling any beer is if I lost my job and really needed money, hope that never happens. I could however see myself in the future buying beer from ebay at some point if it were still there. Really though, there is so much beer out there that I'm able to get through other channels that I'd be surprised if I ever had that much free time and money.

Something I would like to do in the near future is to buy some Belgian beers from overseas. I wish I could pick them up at a local store but since the distribution system is broken, or corrupt - it may be a little overblown to call it corruption, but I suspect for example most Cantillons must be intercepted somewhere between when the beer lands on our shores and before the beer is put out to the stores. I've seen lots of posts about "connections" various people have and probably many of the Cantillons that showed up on ebay were the result of this.

I wonder if Cantillon is aware of how many beers make it to store shelves. I bet it's a small fraction of what they hand over to Shelton Bros. Perhaps if they knew they could be convinced to switch distributors. Thoughts?

9. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Yeah KBS for that is insane. My wife got me a bottle of Westy 12 for like 20 shipped, which is still ridiculous, but not too out of control. I told her about this and she was sad because thats a tradition of ours and now has no idea to get it.

BreakingBad likes this.
  10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Believe me there is no love for Shelton from Cantillon. Jean was on this very website excoriating the greedy b*****ds, wish I could access the thread.

11. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Since no one was responding I thought everyone had a "connection" and didn't want to rock the boat. haha. I can't believe another competing distributor or even a new one doesn't step in and offer their services to Cantillion. Seems like a good business opportunity.

cavedave likes this.
  12. So you are against eBay - which was just as much a grey area as trading. How are traders on this site ensuring that their beers are going to 21 year olds? How hard would it be for an 13 year old to set up a way to get alcohol on this site hence bypassing any kind of state law? Probably about as hard as making an eBay account and throwing down some credit card information.

Your post makes it seem like you are a champion of state laws and taxation and yet you own a website that transfers around arguably more alcohol than eBay could ever hope to do without ever confirming the age of anyone and by laughing in the face of UPS and FedEx company policy. It is all to OBVIOUS that you have selective ethics because your case for taking down eBay relies solely on the single fact that people making a profit off of beer rustles your jimmies - that's it.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I am upset that this hobby no longer has an auction house. The irony is ultimately this will probably curtail the growth of craft beer as a serious hobby.

13. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Someone needs to build a website, similiar to ebay, just for beer trading/sales/auctions between private parties. Only allow 21 and older to join (age confirmed). Would such a site be legal?

14. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I'm pretty sure all unlicensed alcohol sales are technically illegal, even between private parties.

15. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

something like this http://www.mybeercellar.com/

16. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Yeah, that 13 year old only has to go to the bottle store and buy Pliny multiples so he can trade for my Captain Lawrence? Huhhh?

Umm, that boat on which you floated this hypothetical may need some patching up.

No one is looking to stop an industrious 13 year old from trading a beer he, somehow, has in his possession, as that wouldn't happen, the 13 year old would drink the beer he has, not trade it with money for shipping he somehow gets, so he can try a different beer instead that now costs him twice as much to drink. Nice try, but your selective morals thing is a bit thin for my logic, but that is just, like, my opinion.

Rempo, Jason and Beerontwowheels like this.
  17. You don't speak for me. In fact, I'm not even sure what you are saying.

I don't see the fact that eBay no longer permits the sale of beer having any ill affect on the growth of craft beer as a 'serious' hobby. First of all, what makes a hobby serious? Being able to buy a bottle of M or some one-off Cantillon for upwards of 1000$ did not make the craft beer hobby I participate in serious or fun.

Perhaps the fact that people will no longer buy special release beers solely to profit from them via eBay auctions makes the craft beer hobby more 'serious'. You know, in the sense that craft beer enthusiasts buy beer with the intent to drink it.

18. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

A hobby? Clearly an illegal one at that as there is a paper trail of money. The people that were and still are into auctioning off their "rare" beer is a spec of mist in a bucket for quantity and revenue for the breweries and have done more harm to the point that I don't see any good in it. Love the sense of entitlement because it is a "hobby" that it is ok to break the law through selling alcohol with out a license and tax evasion. LOL. :rolleyes:

BreakingBad likes this.
  19. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012

With all due respect isn't this response bit hypocritical when your site clearly does nothing to stop people from trading beer back and forth through the mail? Pretty sure last I checked doing that without a license is illegal, and that a minor could achieve the same results on here that they did on ebay.

chippo33 and aedeos like this.
  20. DinoStyle

DinoStyle Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2012

That has indeed happened multiple times on here.

21. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

This is so horribly misguided I don't even know where to start.

22. warrenout330

warrenout330 Aficionado (240) Ohio Oct 19, 2012

Good... stop these damn gypsies from ripping off novices drinkers and or underage hooligans... even though this would a ingenious idea when I was younger.... damn 2012 degenerates

23. but without E-bay, I'd have never bought a $20 bottle of Pliny! Still a regrettable mistake, but the beer WAS as good as advertised.

24. If I asked a 13 year old to obtain beer from this website without sending out anything at all do you think it'd be impossible?
    Serious in the sense that people will stop treating it like some sort of magical hobby where economics dont exist and serious in the sense that people will have more and easier access to beer.

Trust your posts are lacking any kind of patronizing tone you are trying to go for. You latched onto this "grey area" concept, and now you are trying to prove your personal ideas with this "paper trail" thing. eBay was never a spec of mist in the beer community and the eternal replies in threads like these prove it. The amount of irony and hypocrisy in your postings in this thread are comical.

JavaNoire likes this.
  25. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Where there's a will a way, but if I'm 16 I'm happy getting a sixer of PBR for 5 bucks or a 12 er of Genny Cream ale for 6 bucks, not looking to score a KH or Rare. If a 16 yr old can afford a KH and has the money good for him, I'm sure everyone here has snuck beers, and indulged under age. Your friends show up with 6er Bud, and you have a bottle of KH, and they what the fuck is that? Right.

26. 16 year olds are allowed to drink at my house if they bring KH!

MattyG85 and SeaWatchman like this.
  27. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Yeah, if you want to make broad generalizations ... pretty much anything can look hypocritical. Not really comparing apples to apples here. Plus my argument was on the transaction side of it ... nothing to do with minors. We are a message board ... not a facilitator of cash transactions for booze.

Also, TOC states "You agree to not use the Service to post or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.