1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

EBF 2014: Tell us all about it

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by tobelerone, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurMegge

SurMegge Aspirant (35) Jul 1, 2012

From another girl's point of view and data point. I had a long converstaion with both of the Crooked Stave guys (at their booth, after they ran out of beer). Their also was, what I assume, a BA volunteer (green shirt guy) next to the booth talking with us as well, no female volunteers there that I saw during the 15-20 min I was there. They were actually very nice and apologetic about running out so quickly. I saw @Auror 's post about getting their quickly, so I was able to try the Batch 60 before it ran out, terrific beer.

Other standouts were Spontaneous Cheer, all of what Cascade was pouring, everything FB, and Morning Delight was killer. I wasn't able to try the cranberry beer from CS but the person in front of me got it and it looked amazing, cool color.
    DonFrap and Auror like this.
  2. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I think "hatred" is a little strong, but bringing 30 minutes worth of beer for a 3 and a half hour fest is pretty ridiculous.

To add to your later point, I did see some guy taken out in cuffs at the end of session C
    tkdchampxi likes this.
  3. Yea the running out of beer part I'm not concerned with. Going out of your way during a fest to speak down to someone you don't know while you are drinking. That's where my problem lies. But this is the last I'd like to speak of it. Live and let be
    tkdchampxi likes this.
  4. This is terrible and I am sorry to hear this. I will be sure to never support this brewery. Thanks for the heads up about their supremely unprofessional conduct.
  5. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Savant (325) New York Aug 23, 2012

I was very skeptical at how things would run with a much larger crowd than years past, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Even the longest of lines moved quickly and I had an amazing time. This is not an event I will miss again! Had a blast talking to the employees at every booth, so many friendly people pouring drinks. The Carton crew were especially awesome. I am officially a HUGE fan of the Funky Buddah, I hadn't had much from them before this but they absolutely killed it. Too many great beers and friendly faces all night to even try to remember them all now.

Unfortunately my only complaint also has to do with Crooked Stave. Not only did they run out of beer less than an hour into the fest (are you kidding me?). When I asked if they were all out in disbelief one of them chuckled and the other one just gave me a "yes". Talk about dropping the ball. The story above is much worse than my experience and I already don't think I'll be going out of my way to seek out their beers anymore. yeesh
  6. Not to nitpick, but did Crooked Stave even have any gear? Friday night they only had boxes of 16 bottles of each beer and nothing else. No kegs, no stuff that they'd be giving away, just literally two guys with 48 bottles of beer. What exactly did they ask her to watch? The empty bottles?
  7. Great experience this year. Didn't mind the larger venue and a previous poster was correct in saying it made the event seem less loud. Besides the usual suspects on the list, went back to Half acre probably 4 times. Daisy Cutter, Navaja and Chocolate Camaro were all extremely good. Also really enjoyed the Right Brain beers. Now I also have some idea of where Traverse City is as well.
  8. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

To Everyone:

We share your concerns re: Crooked Stave and Firestone Walker. Some of the issues were brought to our attention on Friday before doors and others we're just learning now.

@Jason and I will be reaching out to both owners this week, so there's no need to continue piling on both breweries and repeating what's already been stated by others. We're very much on top of this. It will be handled.

Thanks,
    dar482, hikeeba, jomobono and 11 others like this.
  9. Sometimes by the same brewer… to that point, I stopped by NEBCO to try Coriolis. It had kicked, but they replaced it with Ghandi Bot. I nearly startled the pourer with my excitement as Ghandi Bot has always eluded me, even when it was distributed to MA. Tasted so good, I see what the fuss is all about. Kinda cool Ghandi was just the back-up beer.
  10. MattVC

MattVC Zealot (95) Massachusetts Aug 21, 2012

Ghandi's great, but man did you miss out. Coriolis was fantastic.
    dar482, Bizoneill and Guzzle_McBrew like this.
  11. It sure was, their line was short too. Every NE brewers line was relatively short, Treehouse was the longest and slowest moving, but Double Shot was worth that wait.
  12. This was my first beer fest, so I didn't really know what to expect. I had heard stories of people standing in line for 45 min to grab one of the popular beers, so it was a pleasant surprise to hardly find a long line at all in the third session. We got caught in that mess on the Pike, so were running late, but there was still plenty of beer to be had. Admit I was disappointed to see some of the booths closed up, but I think that has been well covered above. Most of the guys and gals manning the booths were professional, friendly, and could tell you everything you needed to know. A few came off as a bit cocky and were too busy shooting the shit with their friends to care, but that was rare. Next time I think I'll come in with a better game plan, as I never made it to some of the ones on my wish list, as it is easy to just go from booth to booth trying everything. Also, I'll be saving the chili pepper beers for last!

Pros: great selection of beers, plenty of space, short lines, friendly volunteers - overall a great value for the $$$ and the chance to try some beers I'll probably never see in my local package store

Cons: not many - maybe 1 or 2 more food booths would have been great, and making sure that those of us who can only make the 3rd session get to try all the beers the guys in the first session do. Suppose that is up to the breweries, but if you are coming to one of these things, why not bring more than enough? Plenty of other breweries to fill their spots next year!

Great job to all that were involved! Already looking forward to next year!
    Beeranator likes this.
  13. JAramini

JAramini Savant (320) New York Jun 5, 2005

While my friends waited in the TG line I saw nobody at New England right next door and said "hey, I'm gonna grab some Coriolis, BRB." And that was my first pour of the night before hitting up Toppling Goliath. My one buddy who enjoys good beer but isn't a "connoisseur" explained he usually didn't really dig dark beers, but was floored by how good Mornin' Delight was.
  14. I bet it was. I'm sucker for Nelson Sauvin hops
    VelvetExtract likes this.
  15. can I play devil's advocate. I figure the Bros gave each brewery the same amount for beer. CS is extremely expensive. There is no way to barrel age and brew with brett that doesn't cost money.
    Perhaps the beer they brought was what the bros paid for. Much has been made about not asking breweries to pay for the beer they bring out of their own pocket. perhaps in retrospect bringing in such expensive beer just doesn't work. Same deal with Cascade.
    However if CS reps were such douche bags that is reprehensible.
    However I will wait to see a response before swearing off CS, the nightmare on brett was a truly awesome beer.
  16. Todd

Not even close; there were far more expensive beers on the floor.

From the information we have so far, they simply didn't send enough beer and they didn't have the proper representation for their brand.

Again, we're on it. There's no need to flog a dead horse.
    dar482 likes this.
  17. MenardMa

MenardMa Savant (320) Connecticut Feb 6, 2011

Haha, I did almost the exact same thing...had read that Vanilla Bean Night To End All Dawns was one of the best beers of the fest so planned a route to hit Kane, then get some Chocolate Rain, then try Crooked Stave...but sure enough, NEBCO was right next to Kane so I ended up getting Coriolis first...had only had one small glass of it ever despite having some decent access to NEBCO but have been wanting to try it again ever since...that beer is so damn good.
  18. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Wow....I saw the CS guys standing around laughing but not in A's are all a great craft beer community' type of way but rather a frat boy type of way. I didn't know if I was off on my perception until reading these posts. Really disappointed in this brewery. Does not fir with the whole vibe of what we are all trying to promote here. F those guys. Won't be trading for anymore of their beer.
    LopeJuice, Beeranator and jrnyc like this.
  19. Not my first brewfest, but first time doing EBF (Friday session). Went with 2 buddies, both beer lovers also, and we had a blast! What a great experience and well executed brewfest! Some lines were long but moved very quickly, almost every beer was mind blowingly good, everyone at the fest was friendly, and although we never had a chance to try everything we wanted to, we definitely had our fill by the end of the fest. Oh yea, and our end of the fest "nightcaps" were a Sam Adams Utopias (on tap) and an Avery Uncle Jacob's Stout! Just flat out awesome, a huge thanks to all the breweries (that still had beer), all the staff there, DFH, and especially BA!
  20. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I was there all 3 sessions, (I volunteered) and there wasn;t anything that I could see that was there first session that wasn;t there last; there may have been one or 2 beers out of the goodness knows how many, but if so, they were replaced with something equally good.
    One of the reasons CS and Cascade were even there Sat night is that they did ration what beers they had across all 3 sessions.

21. Just out of curiosity how much was the keg of Utopias worth?!
  22. I'm sure JK would reply "priceless" :) It was delicous
  23. Todd

A 24oz bottle of Utopias retails for ~$200. There's roughly 1,984 ounces in a 15.5 gallon keg.
    dar482 and Beeranator like this.
  24. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Forwarding them a link to this thread would probably be sufficient to make clear the consequences of their SNAFU. Assuming they're generally upstanding dudes and that this was an aberration, that is.
  25. Todd

Your assumption would be correct, and both breweries have already read the thread.

Again, we're on it.
    CraftEyeDoc and MenardMa like this.
  26. I too had a similar interaction with the way too cool Crooked Stave fellows. Not sure if they didn't like my big smile when I walked up to their empty stand or what, but they were extremely rude and short with me. I will never give them my money again. I feel that this would be the best punishment. I hope that the next time Crooked Stave is invited to be part of a great event that they send a different crew. So sad really.
  27. Dicers

Dicers Champion (765) Texas Sep 2, 2012

GUYS ENOUGH! If @Todd says they are going to handle it then they will handle it. I hope that none of you had your night ruined by this issue... I speak for the 99% when I say the event was AWESOME! if this was the only issue I'd say the fest was a giant success! With owners/head brewers from many different breweries attending including TG, DFH, Sam Adams, Allagash, and more I'm overwhelming happy with the event
  28. Understood. My bad for rolling through and not reading the entire thread.
    Dicers likes this.
  29. I've had already said it a few times, but the fest was amazing. Please don't change a thing next year, it really was the best event I've been to in a long , long time.
    MenardMa likes this.
  30. Sam C was a really friendly dude, glad to finally meet him and try some new stuff.
    Beeranator likes this.
  31. I echo all the praise of the event. Was there Friday night and first session on Saturday. Great idea checking IDs and doing wristbands before the doors opened so everyone could just flood in quickly. The beers were amazing!!! Great job on selection and diversity. The lines were not bad either because they moved pretty quick, even the longer lines did not take long. There were a few minor issues as stated previously, which I do agree with, but overall a perfect event IMO. Thank you for putting it on and will be back next year!
    Beeranator likes this.
  32. Was frightened by the line to get in at first (we were practically in the harbor!), but that flew. Great job getting people inside.

I thought there were plenty of water stations, helpful volunteers, and an overall great crowd. Lines were manageable all night, even at FB and Toppling Goliath.

So many good beers, it's hard to pick out a winner. I made a beeline for Crooked Stave, and loved their stuff, though I share similar complaints.

But in the true spirit of the fest, the guys from Relic were awesome. Their trippel was delicious. Cigar City's Berliner was great. Agreed with the general sentiment on NEBCO Coriolis. Great brewery. Loved the Cascade stuff...I thought they were going under-appreciated.

I'm definitely in the minority and did not like French Toast. It smelled like French Toast, so what? Stone Punishment was bad. But I was warned.
  33. I got lucky with CS , knew ahead of time that they had little beer and planned to skip it so the paying customers could get to sample it. I was working that section and happened to be standing there when they ran out. As people were walking away and they were cleaning up one of the guys picked up a bottle that had less than half in it , he offered and I said sure and managed to get a sample of WWB Batch 60. Just lucky to be in the right place at the right time.
  34. There was a beer by Watch City Brewing that I really liked, but I can't find it on any of the lists. It was called something like "Weisse is everyone picking on me?"
  35. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Yeah that was good. They had a few that were interesting and tasty. The brewer was an interesting dude. Nice guy.
  36. That was the berliner with chocolate in it right? I tried it, too. Sounded too unique not to give it a whirl, but unfortunately it was a dump for me... the only one of the whole fest, which speaks to the high quality of everything there. But yeah I don't think that one was on the published beer list.
  37. Dicers

Dicers Champion (765) Texas Sep 2, 2012

38. I'm the opposite. I thought corialis was great, but Gandhi Bot was my favorite IPA at the fest and I think I tried most of them. There was a time where there wasn't any line so I had 3 or 4 samples of gandhi one right after the other.
    VelvetExtract likes this.
  39. Toppling kicked the lions ass. As an IPA nut, I went to the festival with intent to try their offerings after hearing quite a bit about them at other beer related events. I was by no means disappointed; King Sue trumped Double Sunshine as my favorite IIPA, and Sosus was not far behind. The guys there were extremely friendly and seemed stoked on the enthusiasm they received over their amazing beer. For some reason in the session I attended, C, there was hardly a line for them most of the time. I smashed a good amount of their awesome stuff.:)

Nebco guys did it proper replacing Coriolis with GBot- talk about a consolation prize. They are also humble group of great gentlemen, and I felt that it was apparent to everyone who paid them a visit. Making CT proud!

Tree House was awesome- the staff there really knows how to make regulars feel at home. They clearly had everyone's attention, the line was insane-only rivaled by Funky. Bringing an IIPA to the table was a nice touch.
    dar482, duceswild and Christopper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.