1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

EBF 2014's biggest sleeper?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by BCarder, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In my opinion, the 4 beers offered by Raleigh's Trophy Brewing. Not only were they all fantastic, they were excellent people to chat with and the line was never long.

In your opinion, what was your sleeper(s)?

twowheelssoar, nas5755 and JrGtr like this.
  2. rjp217

rjp217 Advocate (680) Massachusetts Apr 24, 2012

For me it was Revolution and specifically, Straight Jacket. That's one badass BW

GHphoto and Davepoolesque like this.
  3. cask sojo was incredible

4. MattVC

MattVC Zealot (95) Massachusetts Aug 21, 2012

I really liked 4 Hands' Peanut Butter Chocolate Milk Stout.

5. Incredible indeed, loved that one.

jlordi12 likes this.
  6. Roxy's grilled cheese, jk. Throwback had one hell of a JalapeƱo Pilsner if that's your type of thing.

Aaron58, tkdchampxi and jtdolla911 like this.
  7. Where the Wild Things Macerate Raspberries.

RyanSchwam likes this.
  8. Two stand out: Funky Buddha French Toast and Cascade Figaro.

French toast was like cinnamon fresh toast in a glass and Figaro was a fantastic sour.

MattVC likes this.
  9. not sure how sleeper is defined. I'll say that on "line length" compared to "beer quality" Cascade was my winner, pretty easily

10. Captain lawrence. Rosso e Marrone is awesome, and their new "triple ipa" seeking alpha was really nice.

UncleJimbo likes this.
  11. Loved Due South Orange Maple caramel, carton killed it, Loved their imperial pumpkin

12. catboy

catboy Aficionado (145) Virginia Jul 15, 2012

I'll second Carton Brewing. Regular Coffee was awesome.

leaversuch, Zimm, SadMachine and 6 others like this.
  13. TonyVT

TonyVT Aficionado (115) Vermont Sep 15, 2012

My favorite was Carton's Regular Coffee.

leaversuch, Zimm, SadMachine and 2 others like this.
  14. dcisco44

dcisco44 Savant (270) Massachusetts Sep 22, 2013

Everything by Crooked Stave. Apparently they ran out of beer in the first 15 minutes Friday evening so I'm still waiting to try them. If you detect notes of sarcasm and disdain you're getting my point.

15. While I loved regular coffee, I think Cartons boat beer was fantastic. I could drink that everyday for the rest of my life

16. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Savant (265) New York Jun 25, 2010

Regular coffee. Probably drank that more then anything else there.

EnthusedAboutBeer and SadMachine like this.
  17. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Hear hear... proof that extreme doesn';t have to be double digit ABV or everything but the kitchen sink in there.

brewsader, Zimm and SadMachine like this.
  18. While I had my list going in advance and was able to accomplish most of them, my biggest surprise of the night (much like everyone else's was Regular Coffee). I even broke my rule of going up for seconds. What took me the most by surprise was that it wasn't the typical dark color that every other coffee beer had. My buddy and I also thought Dinos'mores was pretty good too. I almost missed out as it was hard to find the Off Color booth

Zimm likes this.
  19. Same here on the regular coffee, did a double take at the color. Also, I knew where Off Color was but failed to go in time :(

Zimm likes this.
  20. I thought Hardywood Park's Bourbon Gingerbread Stout was damn good

21. My sleeper was the Coconut Bay Breeze by Due South. Nose on it was nothing special, but the taste.... oh the taste! What an amazing beer that would be fantastic to drink all summer long.

BCarder, codasnap52 and Auror like this.
  22. Thought Half Acre beers were solid! Never heard of them before, also the Bourbon root beer float from Dark Horse rocked!

23. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Kane night to end all dawns
    Tree House double shot
    due south orange maple
    Due south coconut bay breeze

SadMachine and Auror like this.
  24. Hard to say because sleeper is tough to define.

Funky Buddha doesn't count as a sleeper, but their Maple Bacon was truly excellent.

As a Jersey guy, I knew Carton would be great, but I'm happy to hear the consensus on it (Regular Coffee especially)

Kane Sea Change was also a fantastic session ale, and loved the wine barrel quad

I loved everything from Tree House (how good was Double Shot)

Never heard of Due South before, but I loved their Peppermint Paddy and the fiancee loved the Maple Orange

And then Sixpoint... @Sixpoint do you guys make anything that's bad? 3Beans is as perfect an imperial stout as I can imagine. Glad I have a 4-pk in the cellar.

Other shout-outs include:
    Against the Grain, Brett the Hitman Hop
    Half Acre, everything
    Night Shift, Viva Habanera
    Throwback, Spicy Bohemian
    Trophy, Wine Spektator
    Toppling Goliath (probably not a sleeper)

Zimm and Ilovelampandbeer like this.
  25. cestlavie

cestlavie Savant (490) New York Oct 27, 2011

Due South- Maple Orange Imperial Caramel Cream Ale
    Two Roads- Urban Funk and Crazy Pucker
    Funky Buddha- Veruca
    Tree House- Double Shot
    Harpoon- UNCLE FESTER!!

VelvetExtract and Auror like this.
  26. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

I'll say it now, Toppling Goliath was a sleeper for Session C.

Funky Buddha at times had 100~ people waiting on line. Tree House for some reason was lined up the whole night, whereas TG did not have a line for large portions of the night.

Went back for multiple helpings of their beer with no wait. Very confused.

Guzzle_McBrew likes this.
  27. MenardMa

MenardMa Savant (320) Connecticut Feb 6, 2011

Anyone else try that porter with pig parts? That...that was somethin'.

sonsofauerbach and dar482 like this.
  28. Veruca? That was getting poured at EBF? Aw man that's reason enough right there to regret not going.....

tkdchampxi and cestlavie like this.
  29. Half Acre edged out several runner-ups for me (most notably TG). Someone at that brewery must've sold their soul.

30. Tschnab

Tschnab Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2010

I was really surprised by the NERAX Jacks Abby Glazed Over and Blue Point Mosaic.

cestlavie likes this.
  31. Yes, forgot about the Glazed Over, man was that good!

32. I thought the Uncured Pepperoni sticks at Vermont Smoke and Cure was the sleeper of session B for me.

33. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

Revolution has been turning out some excellent barrel aged beers since they started doing them a few years back. Their other beers aren't too bad either;)

Half Acre is one of the things I miss most about moving from Chicago:( i would highly recommend trading for their beers.

34. rjp217

rjp217 Advocate (680) Massachusetts Apr 24, 2012

The "sleeper" term is a bit tough to answer at a fest this awesome but for me I wasn't too familiar with Revolution. Now I am :)

spicoli00 likes this.
  35. Cascade had some awesome Sours, definitely the highlight for me.

36. While it wasn't a sleeper for me because I had sampled it before, Kane's A Night To End All Dawns Vanilla Bean was straight up one of the best beers at the festival! I can't wait for the bottles of this and the Coffee variant to be released (which will be very soon)!

Zimm and Davepoolesque like this.
  37. ChrisMQ

ChrisMQ Savant (275) New York Jun 30, 2010

Allagash Avance' was fantastic---the strawberries were very well pronounced

38. I had not heard of Hardywood before and their whole lineup was top notch. The Bourbon Gingerbread Stout was delicious. I also enjoyed the Gin Barrel Aged Pony Pilsner from Half Acre.

39. French Toast...oh lord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.