1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

EBF 2014's biggest sleeper?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by BCarder, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm curious what people thought of a number of beers I didn't get to try:

The three Allagash beers
    The new Two Roads beers (BA Dopplebock/Berliner/Sour)
    Boulevard Foeder
    Burley Oak beers
    All those Franklin's beers
    Ithaca (Zuul/Gozer/CranBretta)
    That 20% ABV Long Trial eisbock
    Oskar Blues' wee heavy and BW
    Sixpoint
    Weyerbacher Tart Nouveau
  2. Harpoon Citrus Pale Ale. Seriously. Nothing extreme about it, but that might be the finest low ABV pale ale I've ever had.
    VelvetExtract likes this.
  3. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Haha, it didn't actually taste half bad.

Absolutely agree. I had this early on in the night and few beers stood up to it.

Actually a really good article. I agreed mostly with it, especially about No Crusts.
    SadMachine likes this.
  4. Of those I only tried a full sample of Zuul, which I thought was pretty good. It had a nice subtle heat that grew as I finished the sample (in great contrast to punishment). I had a sip of the Gozer, but didn't like it enough to get a full pour.
  5. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

I had Franklin's 2011 Jack the Giant Killer - one of the few I didn't regret pouring out after a few sips. It wasn't bad, but so many others were just so fantastic that I couldn't bring myself to dump any portion.

I also had Sixpoint BA 3beans, which was decent, but just couldn't stand up to the other coffee beers available.

I should note I had both of these toward the latter part of the evening, so I would like to revisit with a fresh palate, but neither stood out to me.
  6. Not knowing much about Carton beforehand, I'd say they were my pick... and I didn't even get to try Boat beer or Regular Coffee.
  7. Also, I asked for the gin-barrel aged pilsener from Half Acre and they laughed at me. I couldn't understand it. I'm sure Big Hugs is great, but after BA Plead the 5th, Tweak, Parabajava, Chocolate Rain, and umpteen other big stouts I needed a bit of a break. Plus, you brought the beer to an extreme beer festival, so it must be worthy of being in there in some way..
    Crazy4LegMoose likes this.
  8. I tried both the BA 3Beans and the BA Otis. Both were well-made, no obvious faults, but not really mind- blowing. Think the Otis was better by a hair.
    Dicers likes this.
  9. Short's Brewing Co. was great- Jitterbug Perfume and London Fog were both interesting and equally tasty. Juicy Tree IPA was solid, too.
  10. Carton Brewing Reg Coffee was definitely biggest surprise! 1) because it was delicious. 2) because i didnt expect a pale colored cream ale to taste so much like coffee. Great beer!

Cascade had short lines and IMO best overall line up. They did kick early though. Honorable mention to Hardywood pineapple ipa for biggest surprise although i tried that late in the night!!
  11. So many great beers this year it's hard to pick favorites but my sleeper would have to be the 2001 Big Foot . Just something about enjoying a 13 year old barley wine with out the hassle of cellaring .
  12. 4 hands war hammer imperial ipa for me. Wasnt listed or advertised at the front of the line. If it wasnt for the banner on the side of the booth, I wouldnt even gotten in their line. Ithink I had 4-5 sample

That and a 2001 Bigfoot snowcone. Wasnt that great tasting but awesome in its ridiculousness.
    Biff_Tannen likes this.
  13. Awesome seeing NJ's finest getting some love in this thread. Kane and Carton are all we got really.
    MattOC likes this.
  14. MattOC

MattOC Savant (295) Massachusetts Jan 13, 2013

Had a few from both, but really enjoyed the Kane beers.
  15. I personally really enjoyed the Boulevard Foeder. Thought it was very jammy and went back for a couple extra pours.
    TheJermis likes this.
  16. GHphoto

GHphoto Aficionado (165) Illinois Dec 1, 2013

Straight Jacket is really good, way better than Bourbon County Barleywine IMO
  17. IPAIsaac

IPAIsaac Savant (470) Florida Jun 22, 2013

A sleeper for me was CCB Passionfruit Guava Grove. Its getting low rankings here.
    Its either I had way to many beers or I was dreaming... it was pretty good.
    jlordi12 likes this.
  18. Had such high hopes for Bolero but boy are they just missing it, one day I'll learn not to put faith in guys that have other people make their beer. Which of these small guys coming up are you excited about? Think there is a Barrier in our future? At least we have Kane and Carton. And Ramstein and Cape May.
  19. *Dame Drops' voice*

Oh SHOOT!
  20. I thought it was delicious as well.
  21. They're very, very middle of the road along with River Horse, Flying Fish, and then trailing them all is Cricket Hill.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.