1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

EBF Boston Regroup

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by sarro, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Looking forward to it. Cheers!

2. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Texas Sep 2, 2009

Hostel at 40 Berkeley will let us drink in the back room until 11pm as long as we don't get too rowdy. Big space with couches, tables, etc. Will need to provide our own glassware, and they don't have a fridge (outside should work though).

Denise and I are ready to start whenever. Who's in?

3. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

Gonna stay put around here and go to The Publick House unless the road ban gets lifted.

You guys should see if funkybuddha & tired hands will join you for the bottle share. They are close to the hostel and hotel and seemed interested on twitter. (@funkybuddhabrew @tiredhandsbeer)

4. brystmar

Prob wise to stay in your area until streets reopen. We should all get together tomorrow either way.

Hope the FB & TH guys can make it. Anyone else in the area is welcome to join btw, just ping me @brystmar or 312-203-5659.

There's a sandwich shop across the street that's open until 4, and 7-11 next door is staying open 24/7. We're gonna get things started around 4pm at the back and to the left of the lobby area. Hope to see a few friendly faces there.

5. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

Will probably head over to Hostel for a bit around 5. Have some bottles to share. Nothing super rare, but some good brews. Hope to see some of you there.

6. rinhaak

rinhaak Savant (390) Massachusetts Jun 23, 2009

Agreed on both.

Check the 7-11; some of them in Boston actually have a reasonable craft selection. The 7-11 near my house has a bunch of Boulevard, Founders, Jacks Abby, and Brooklyn. You might get lucky.

7. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

My group and I are a two mile walk from the hostel. This would be a easy walk but snow, Bals and possible worse conditions we are going to have to stay at our hotel. But down to meet up tomorrow if weather permits!

Destral likes this.
  8. kimpossible22

kimpossible22 Zealot (75) Texas Dec 19, 2009

We tried to venture over. But we aren't really built for this weather. We stopped at the packie and got some bottles to have our own beer fest.

ribbon likes this.
  9. ribbon

ribbon Zealot (80) Texas Feb 22, 2011

what kimpossible said - if the wind dies down, it'll be a different story. i don't see that happening :(

10. sarro

What?! You mean you're not built like the typical BA with a beard and giant beer belly to keep you warm?

11. kimpossible22

Hahaha. Thank God no!

ribbon likes this.
  12. Rang out the Tired Hands gang at Blanchard's today. Wish I could have shot some shit, but it was crazy in there today. Not sure their handle, but wanted to thank them for the sample they gave me!

brystmar and ShogoKawada like this.
  13. I'm currently having a beer fest on my couch in Southie. But my dog is not of legal drinking age. Any South End or Southie festivities tonight that are walking distance? I can scrounge up some bottles out of my beer fridge (nothing too rare, but good quality).

14. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

About 10 BAs at hostel at 40 berkley st. If u want to join us. Sharing some bottles. About to crack some cascade sours.

15. ribbon

ribbon Zealot (80) Texas Feb 22, 2011

yum yum yum ... the .7 miles we are from you guys is sounding less cumbersome.

oh wait - just looked outside ... yeha, staying inside

16. ztakc

ztakc Aspirant (45) California Jun 28, 2012

I have a bottle of Bruery Gray Monday that is begging to be shared. I'm at W. Anyone nearby want to try?

17. nogidrew86

Ticking night shift as we speak in our hotel room and awaiting the heady topper shotgun round! In lieu of ebf we are trying to extreme as possible! White birch anyone?

18. Destral

Destral Savant (365) Nevada Oct 20, 2009

Dont forget our cases of Hill Farmstead!

19. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (380) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

What are the conditions like downtown? Road travel ban starting at 4 seems a bit extreme for what I see outside my window.

20. I live just outside the city and all my doors/windows are completely white. I opened the door 2 inches to see what was going on outside, and it was like a cartoon with snow and wind swirling into my house through the crack. I've never seen anything quite like this with the wind - it feels like I'm at the north pole.

Shit is real deal and it's just geting going - it's not just the 2ft of snow, but the 70mph winds. We are seriously right on the cusp of hurricane wind speeds.

21. nogidrew86

The winds seem like the problem! The snow is nothing crazy IMO. O well time to tick some more in the hotel room! Tomorrow better clear up I wanna hit up night shift!

22. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (380) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

I am on the Cambridge/Somerville border. It is nasty outside, but I do not believe it warranted a 4PM travel ban. I also am confident I could have trekked home by now after having an awesome time at NotB.

ztakc likes this.
  23. the snowfall has really only just started to pick up intensity a couple hours ago. it will likely get worse and continue until mid-morning. yes, it sucks that NotB was cancelled, and the roads and transit COULD have functioned in the interim, but that would make it even harder for them to keep things in order and cleaned out when the real shit hits the fan overnight, and risk making saturday, sunday and monday much worse.

Auror and Patrick like this.
  24. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

How would you have got home?

Edit: I am confident that I would pick the correct powerball numbers from the last $300+million jackpot.

25. Nightshift is closed until Monday.

26. sarro

Time to figure out what may be open today if anything!

Afternoon bottle share anyone?

27. kimpossible22

Seems way more walkable today. I think we are up for it

28. brystmar

Had a great time at the hostel with the BAs who showed up. Big thanks again to the Tired Hands crew for dropping by with bottles!
    Would love to get together later today. Need to see what's open and what our transportation options are. Oh, and I'll need to find a bottle shop because we drank all 3 bottles we brought last night. Would've brought much more had I known both events would canceled.

29. MBTA is going to be closed all day again, so travel options are still just walking and cabs violating the (as of yet still on) travel ban.

30. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

How's it looking out there today? Was reading the forecast and saw Sunshine and possible temps up to 40?

31. Word is the road ban will last until some point on Sunday. There's an awful lot of downed power lines and trees on major roads and highways, so cleanup is going to take a very long time:
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/09/behemoth-storm-barrels-through-new-england/

With that and the T down, I don't see tonight being all that much different from last night, except with a bit easier walkability.

32. brystmar

CNN said the travel ban lasts until 4pm in Massachusetts. Here's hoping for cabs galore magically appearing at 4:01.

33. I think that might be erroneous - do you have a link? Deval said he'd evaluate the travel ban every few hours, and as of an hour ago it was still on. I haven't seen a bit of good news pointing towards the roads re-opening any time soon, just expectations of it staying on until Sunday.

34. rinhaak

rinhaak Savant (390) Massachusetts Jun 23, 2009

Glad some of you had some good stuff to taste last night!

I would love to meet up with folks today, but without the T, I'm not sure how I'd make it. The invite still stands to anyone in the JP or Roslindale area to come on by.

35. brystmar

Was on the crawler we watched while eating breakfast. Maybe Boston follows a different set of rules though. Fingers crossed.

36. Any word on what beer bars might be open today? South End, Back Bay

37. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Sounds like Lord Hobo is still trying to host the Short's takeover at 4pm today, BA was tweeting about it earlier.

38. I think it's a given that they'll open...but it's a long walk for me from Southie. Hobo is my plan if the driving ban is lifted (and then I have the problem of parking, but whatever)

39. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

FYI: Driving ban will be lifted at 4pm today. I wouldn't expect much parking though; especially in residential areas.

40. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I would imagine the parking garage near CBC would be open still. People headed to Lord Hobo could just park there and walk the 10mins to Lord Hobo. I'd call to make sure the garage is open first though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.