Dismiss Notice
Get 12 monthly issues of BeerAdvocate magazine and save $5 when you select "auto-renew."

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join our email list →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.

EBF Highlights

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Events' started by pwoody11, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franch

Franch Advocate (600) New York Mar 22, 2011 Beer Trader

i believe friday had same number of tickets sold as saturday sessions. it was PACKED.

highlights (in no order):

friday
    cascade - sang royal
    stone - IRS 2008 BA
    lost abbey - double red poppy (best in show y'all)
    boston - utopias 2k12
    founders - doom
    cambridge - ozymandias, cerise casee, the colonel

saturday
    short's - key lime pie
    evil twin - ron and the red ryan
    bruery - black tuesday
    alchemist - heady topper
    thomas hooker - mexican chocolate stout (cask)
    stone - sublimely self righteous ft. orange peel, bitter chocolate
    weyerbacher - sunday morning

2. mendvicdog

mendvicdog Champion (765) Maryland Sep 1, 2006 Beer Trader

I got to the Bruery station about 20 minutes into the Saturday night event and they had 2 bottles of Black Tuesday left at that point. WEAK. Whatever I just stood there and got about 6 ozs. Also, I barely missed trying the FW Barrel 22 but did get literally the last pour of Stickee Monkey. FW must have poured too much for the afternoon session.

Friday:
    DH BB plead the fifth
    Lost Abbey double red poppy
    Evil Twin Aviary 6
    Cascade Figaro
    Cascade Vlad the Imp Aler

Saturday:
    Heady
    Bruery BT

Big props to Cascade and The Alchemist for bringing enough to last the whole night.

duceswild likes this.
  3. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (745) New York Jan 11, 2010 Beer Trader

I think having a case or two of Black Tuesday at the events is better than there being no Black Tuesday whatsoever...a case at each session would still be roughly 150-160 people per session getting to try it. While I would love every beer to last the entire fest, if you had it at the top of your list and hit them up at the beginning of the fest, you probably still got to try it. The Bruery never sends people and just sends some bottles of beers.

The past few years Cascade has just sent various vintages of the kriek in bottles and not sent people, and they never have a line (which was pretty awesome as well). It was really cool to see them send some different stuff this year and send a lot of everything; I wouldn't be surprised if the Bruery starts doing that at some point in the future since they get distributed to the East Coast so much.

I'd rather see guys like the Bruery, Cascade, Evin Twin, etc. send bottles and run out then not show up at all. Same with Funky Buddha last year....I didn't get to try all their beers because they ran out quickly, but was still very glad they came and to try some of them.

4. koflaherty

koflaherty Savant (265) New Jersey Nov 11, 2009

I went to the Saturday evening session. I had some other conflicts so I had to drive and didn't have a ton of time, so I didn't try as much as I'd like. But as usual, I thought it was well organized and very civil. Even when it got crowded folks were cool and I didn't see anyone getting drunk (at least not by 8 when I had to leave). There were consistent lines at Short's, Alchemist and DFH, but everywhere else had only a few folks in line most of the night.

I had some things I really wanted to try at last and I wasn't disappointed:

Black Tuesday - I got it about 6:40 just before they ran out. It was terrific; probably my highlight
    Short's Key Lime Pie - they actually pulled off a Key Lime Pie taste in a beer. Go figure. I tried a few of their other things, but nothing really impressed me.
    Mytic's Entropy - I've been tracking this program for a while and apparently they are getting ready to bottle it. I thought it was really intriguing and tasty, but it seemed to me to need some more time. The mouthfeel didn't deliver what I expected.
    Boltcutter - I have a bottle that I'm thinking I should let wait. Good decision.
    FV13 - Terrific. Nice sourness with a lot going on.

Some other things that stood out:
    Bruery's Hottenroth Berliner
    Smuttynose BA Robust Porter - really picked up the barrel well
    BA Framinghammer - Delicious, but I'm not sure I like it more than the regular Framinghammer (which I love)
    Vespula Mysticus - wow; so delicious for 4.5% alcohol. I could drink this all day.

I regret not getting to CBC as well as some of the newer breweries - Trophy, Four Hands, Burley Oak. Sounds like they were great.

5. jlenik

jlenik Savant (480) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Halfway into the Saturday evening session I talked to my friends about the Friday session seeming more crowded. It seemed like some of the tables on Friday had 2-3 breweries so the lines were longer but I still agree that overall it felt more congested even though the entire center area was open with tables where as Saturday it was brewery booths. Oh well!

6. Friday did seem absolutely slammed.

My highlights (only went Friday):

Veritas 011
    4 Hands Cuvee Ange (awesome)
    Double Red Poppy (awesome, a littttttlllle too sweet for me though)
    Cascade Noyaux (my favorite of the night)
    Utopias 2012
    Allagash Golden + Midnight Brett, both killer

both Doom + Bolt Cutter were a lot better than I was expecting. was really disappointed by Golden Delicious, which I thought was incredibly bland, and the Smuttynose Barrel Aged Baltic porter - I love sours, but that tasted just straight up infected to me, not "sour".

really sad that the Cuvee Delphine keg broke... Was realllllly looking forward to that.

7. The smuttynose Baltic porter did taste a infected or something.

Colosdog likes this.
  8. johnnnniee

johnnnniee Champion (785) New Hampshire Feb 28, 2007 Beer Trader

How could you tell with the onslaught of bourbon and barrel?

9. that was rough. i attempted to duct tape it as best i could, but without a real sealant, i couldn't compete with the psi - the shell was cracked. a few people got some samples, but i just couldn't get it serviceable in the long run.

GrindFatherBob likes this.
  10. Maybe infected wasn't the right word to use, but I thought it had a strange sour taste to it, and the group I was with had the same experience.

11. oof. hope that beer managed to be extracted and served somewhere/somehow

12. johnnnniee

Strange, I didn't find any sour impression at all, and I sampled that fairly early because I wanted to try it. Different palettes I guess.
    Cheers,
    John

Mike likes this.
  13. bonbini26

bonbini26 Savant (475) New Jersey May 14, 2006

Bruery Black Tuesday - Best Stout
    Short's Key Lime Pie - Best Beer I Would Eat
    Founders Spite - Best Spicy Beer
    Evil Twin Justin Blabaer - Best Sour
    Cambridge #Hashtag - Best Hops

14. pwoody11

pwoody11 Advocate (560) Delaware Nov 23, 2009 Beer Trader

Agreed. Friday was packed. Had to wait in sort of long lines for every brewery. Also at some tables there was one line for 2-3 breweries. I over heard some speculation of the event being oversold and that was why the email for refunds went out. Obviously that is just a rumor as far as I know. I thought entrance into the building was great with them checking id's before hand. I got to try just about everything I wanted to, although Jim Koch repeatedly dumping Utopias from a pitcher into my cup made continuing difficult haha.

[​IMG]

Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  15. Franch

Franch Advocate (600) New York Mar 22, 2011 Beer Trader

friday's problems stemmed from the same number of people in drastically fewer lines -- fewer breweries attending and 2-3 breweries to a table made for astronomical lines, especially for e.g. cascade. whatever two tables surrounded Stone's table made it look line stone had a huge line but in fact for a large portion of the NOTB, there was no one waiting for their beer.

16. colbyguy

colbyguy Aficionado (150) Maine Jan 15, 2012

Went Friday Night.
    Favorites included Stone IRS and Dark Horse Plead the 5th.
    Also noted "sour" tasted with Smuttynose Baltic Porter. Heard same comment from several others about "sour" taste.

17. Jason

Jason Founder (1,525) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Just a quick FYI ...

Reasoning behind Friday being more packed than usual was that Eventbrite simply miscommunicated the # of tickets to be refuned due to the event being postponed. Both parites were playing to be the good guys. Hell, I'll take some of the blame for not triple checking by asking for the data they had. Apologies for that. This essentially left us with less attendance on Sat, we could have sold more tickets for Sat but what was done was done.

None of this was our intention. Thankfully this is a scenario that will never happen again.

csniezek, pwoody11 and ferillo like this.
  18. This was my highlight bro!

pwoody11 and ShogoKawada like this.
  19. Only went Friday but my highlights (of stuff I've never had before)

Sang Noir
    Double Red Poppy
    BB Plead The Fifth
    Cerise Cassée

20. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Savant (455) New Jersey Mar 2, 2009 Beer Trader

Framinghammer Bourbon Barrel Baltic Porter
    Key Lime Pie
    Double Red Poppy
    Cascade 2009 Kriek & Vlad the Imp Aler
    Bourbon Barrel World Wide Stout
    Black Tuesday
    Trophy's Rose Gose
    White Chocolate

Even though Friday was a little more crowded, I still had a blast and was able to try everything I wanted. Saturday night's attendance seemed to be the perfect amount of people IMO. Great times. Looking forward to it again next year.

21. Timmush

Timmush Savant (360) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Ahhhh. So you are the reason I didn't get to try any because they ran out.

Franch likes this.
  22. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (745) New York Jan 11, 2010 Beer Trader

Not a big deal, was just an observation having gone to other Friday night sessions...I figured something along those lines happened. Still had an awesome time.

Also as pwoody11 mentioned, the checking ID's/scanning tickets in line was a great idea and a great improvement...basically got in as fast as if I had the old VIP entrance. Loved it.

23. really? they had it LABELLED as being sour.

24. csniezek

csniezek Fest Captain (350) Massachusetts May 5, 2004 Verified

The staff added the "sour" label ourselves. The volunteer who had talked it over with the brewer confirmed that it was not intended to be sour, and that it was surprisingly - but deliciously - so.

25. ah, gotcha. well, it certainly was better than other "unintended" sours i've had/brewed, but still not quite to my liking.

26. From Friday night:

BA World Wide Stout
    Sierra Narwhal
    Troeg's Scratch 87
    Plead the 5th
    Deliverance
    Backwoods Bastard
    Utopias (an incredible release - definitely my favorite of the night)

A lot of other tasty ones too that I can't remember... there's only so many 10% beers you have before details start getting hazy. The only disappointment for me was not seeing Cigar City there. But overall a great night of tasting... left that place flyin' high

Psychmusic likes this.
  27. My highlight was not having to deal with a blizzard for this fest.

28. johnnnniee

Well, at the beginning of the first Sat session this beer was not LABELED as sour. Like I said my recollection of this beer it that it was very heavy on the bourbon and oak, and my notes found it a bit thin to hold up to the barrel.

29. Another "highlight" for me was in a drunken haze spending $40 on beer at wine emporium after night of the barrels. Then going back the next night.

30. Flounder57

Flounder57 Advocate (615) Massachusetts Feb 22, 2010 Beer Trader

Founders Doom and Bolt Cutter
    Lost Abbey Mayan Apocalypse
    Throwback Fat Alberta
    Cascades sour beers
    Shorts
    Evil Twin Torst Front Room
    Boulevard
    Avery Tweak
    Of course Heady topper
    4 Hands chocolate milk stout

31. Werty73

Werty73 Aspirant (30) Massachusetts Feb 13, 2013

Can anyone help me out here? There was a beer by some brewer that tasted and was described with a boiled peanut taste? Any ideas? It wasn't Fat Alberta by Throwback

32. brewandbbq

brewandbbq Advocate (650) New Hampshire Apr 24, 2003 Beer Trader

How would you know, you were drunk. :)

33. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Very happy to see 4 Hands made a good impression. Very good brewery with a tremendous future ahead of them.

34. johnnnniee

I was simply trying to keep up with you sir! ;)

brewandbbq likes this.
  35. xanok

xanok Savant (450) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009 Beer Trader

My favorites(Saturday, first session):

Weyerbacher Sour black
    Allagash FV13
    Harpoon Velvet Touch
    Sour in the Rye
    Short's Key Lime Pie
    FW Stickee Monkee
    Heady Topper

A brewery had a chocolate/peanut butter stout. Can't remember who, but it was also excellent.

36. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Advocate (625) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007 Beer Trader

I believe friday was ba baltic porter and saturday was ba robust porter. And the ba robust porter was all barrel, the beer didn't stand up to it at all.

37. That is correct.

38. johnnnniee

Thank you for straightening me out, I guess I've been talking about the wrong beer.
    Jeff, I guess I was drunk :)

39. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Advocate (625) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007 Beer Trader

Don't let facts get in the way of an argument. Just keep drinking and shouting louder than the other guy, and you'll eventually win.

40. csniezek

csniezek Fest Captain (350) Massachusetts May 5, 2004 Verified

I believe you're thinking of The King by Trophy Brewing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.