1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

EBF Questions

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by tobelerone, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've read all the threads I think, and couldn't find this info so here goes. Maybe the bros or anyone else in the know can answer:

Do the breweries bring stuff like tshirts and glassware for sale? If so would that be cash only?

What's the final word on the pretzel necklaces? Is this really permitted?

How early do I need to lineup for the sat 1pm session to get in close to opening (I'm aware no one can say with certainty, just want to get a sense of what others are thinking. Noon?).

Finally well need to call a can afterwards because our hotel is a hike, too far to walk really. I can find a local car service but does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks in advance for the help, really looking forward to my first time attending this festival!

2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Yes, and it depends on the brewery.
    They're messy, tacky, a red flag for security, and not recommended.
    Many will start getting in line at least 1 hour before doors. It's really up to you.
    I'd arrange something in advance, otherwise you'll be dealing with everyone else who's looking for a cab.

See you there ...

Roguer and Christopper like this.
  3. Thanks Todd, can't wait!

4. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

If you have a smartphone, Uber is the only way to travel.

cestlavie, needMIbeerinMD and Jason like this.
  5. I do but haven't checked it out. Will now though, thanks!

6. madmanjf

madmanjf Savant (360) New York Sep 18, 2005

The SilverLine has a stop at the World Trade center. It connects to the Red subway line.

7. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

No doubt ... UberX is super cheap and much better service than any Boston area cab.

F2brewers likes this.
  8. Just out of curiosity, is a pretzel necklace exactly what it sounds like? A large, round soft pretzel that you put over your head like a salty, bready lei?

9. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

A soft pretzel necklace would be pretty sweet until you took a bite and no longer had any means to keep it around your neck. standard pretzels + string = great success.

You will get more looks of envy than you will of looking tacky.

Boca-X likes this.
  10. If I see someone with a pretzel necklace, I assume its their first beer fest and probably drink Blue Moon.

fineout, Givemebeer, HRamz3 and 7 others like this.
  11. I wouldn't worry about the line. It always moves quickly and you're not going to miss out on any beers early in the fest. If anything, coming in the second wave sometimes gives you a better perspective as crowds will rush to a certain brewery, and you can hit 3-4 other breweries and wait for that line to die down. General beer fest rule: There's a lot of beer to drink, so go where the lines aren't and you'll have a much better time.

Roguer, Auror and jlordi12 like this.
  12. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Very much this. Also, you can drink your samples while in line somewhere else, so grab a sample at one with no line and then jump in one of the longer lines.

I also wouldn't worry too much about the initial line. I would rather get into the fest 15-20 min later than spend an hour of my time standing in line

Roguer likes this.
  13. Particularly by the waterfront. Not sure what the line situation is outside, but shit gets cold and windy over there.

14. Does anyone know if we can bring water in with us? And why are the pretzel necklaces so shamed. They seem like a pretty wise choice all around, no? I've been to one other really big beer fest and saw people wearing them, and I was like, "Damn, what a good idea".

Boca-X likes this.
  15. The points about going where the lines aren't and never getting in line without a beer in hand are the two best pieces of beer con advice you can receive. The part about waiting in line I say is personal preference as I like to get to things early. That said, the only other fests I've waited for at this venue were in June.

16. brez8791

brez8791 Savant (340) Pennsylvania Nov 14, 2009

If I buy tickets for a session from someone else do I need to have the name on the tickets changed or can I just get in to the fest with their e-tickets?

17. Just wondering if we can bring outside water into EBF? Seems like a smart and reasonable thing to do.

18. Todd

We ask that you refrain from bringing outside beverages/food. There's water stations for rinsing/drinking, as well as water for sale at the venue's concessions stand.

19. I'm really just looking to avoid hunting down rinse stations and/or wasting time in lines at the stations. I'm just trying to maximize my few short hours of tasting awesomeness.

20. Todd

I don't see why not. Just note that all items are subject to search by security.

21. Todd

The name on the ticket doesn't matter, but if the ticket scans as invalid you'll be immediately turned away.

brez8791 likes this.
  22. Is there brewery merch available at this event or is it in the same vein as night of the funk with no merch for sale ie. Glasses, shirts, etc

23. Anyone have any idea of what beers we'll see at the pre-throwdown? Or where to find out?

24. Todd

Breweries (who decide to) will be selling merch at their booths.

Beeranator and SebD like this.
  25. Todd

We'll be posting an update this week.

26. Because most people use salted pretzels, which messes with your tastebuds and doesn't really help to neutralize the palate. If people were really serious, they would use a more neutral-flavored food. Or if they were smart, they'd just go over to Food Should Be Good, because it doesn't make that much of a difference at a fest like this.

The real reason they draw the ire of people like myself and others who attend fests is that they basically announce "I'm here to drink so many beers!! ZOMG they have 120 Minute!!!" It just makes people like like a total dweeb and n00b. This is a crowd that loves their cargo shorts, though, so...

HRamz3 likes this.
  27. Two words: Waffle Cabin. Screw pretzel necklaces, eat a sugar crusted waffle halfway through the fest. You'll never consider a pretzel again.

28. Everyone keeps saying to buy food during the fest. I don't want to spend a bunch of time waiting in line to buy food. I'm not driving out to Boston and spending a bunch of money on a hotel and paying to get into this beer fest to try food there. Just wanted a fast, convenient way to snack on something and cleanse my palate. I've already given up on the idea of a pretzel necklace because I don't want to enrage all the cool fest veterans who apparently are more concerned with the snack around my neck and the possibility that I'm not a craft beer expert than they are with actually getting their noses out of the air and smelling the amazing beers being sampled. Oh well. I'll live with water.

pjkelley82, Knapp85, nsheehan and 4 others like this.
  29. Seriously, the food vendors there are worth checking out. Once you smell the waffles, you'll want one. The lines typically aren't very long either.

I was the same way and didn't want to check out anything aside from beer the first year I went, but quickly changed my mind once I saw the food.

30. I think I waited 30 seconds for a waffle last fest. While I still had beer in my hand. It'll work out, I promise you.

Njstoutlover23 likes this.
  31. Well if the lines really aren't long thats another story. And I have had Waffle Cabin waffles in the past... totally awesome.

32. JAramini

JAramini Savant (320) New York Jun 5, 2005

This will be my 4th EBF and going into the first one people were raving about the waffles, didn't understand until I tried one. This year bringing some first-timers and they know a waffle stop is mandatory.

Grab an RIS you want to sip, get in line for a waffle, enjoy the pairing.

alpaca, JakerLou, CraftEyeDoc and 2 others like this.
  33. Pro-tip: Food Should Be Good hands out crackers/chips fo free. And no one's ever near their table. They're also very nice people.

Waffle Cabin is an absolute must, and due to the simple nature of the business, there are rarely any lines, and if so, they move more quickly than any pouring line.

34. I wish I had come up with the waffle cabin business idea...they're at every ski area I visit with lines of people waiting to shell out whatever those crack waffles cost. I eat the chocolate covered ones and can't help look like a messy child afterwards trying to lick gooey choocolate off my face, hands, shirt...

It also paired beautifully with some coffee-BCBS at another fest I was at not long ago

JrGtr likes this.
  35. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (270) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

At all the BA fests ive been to, the water stations are in the absolute most convenient spot possible. You wont be hunting them down.

Providence likes this.
  36. Boca-X

Boca-X Advocate (570) Missouri Jan 21, 2014

That's funny...I assume they are going to be cleaning their palate between brews and in the process having a few salty carbs to help with the booze...I hate blue moon and have been to hundreds of beer festivals...

They are called festivals for a reason......:confused:

Sean227 likes this.
  37. Boca-X

They are a good idea...haters will hate and drink... and pretzel necklace wearers will eat and drink :cool:

tai4ji2x likes this.
  38. Boca-X

haha...funny...

"I've already given up on the idea of a pretzel necklace because I don't want to enrage all the cool fest veterans who apparently are more concerned with the snack around my neck and the possibility that I'm not a craft beer expert than they are with actually getting their noses out of the air and smelling the amazing beers being sampled."

Take out the word "veterans" and insert with "Beer Snobs"...

tai4ji2x and Beeranator like this.
  39. Hold up. You're not going to where the pretzel necklace even though you really want to? You're hating on people who are hating on the pretzel necklace, but then are conforming to their standards nonetheless. Seems odd.

Also, take it easy, you've got multiple hours in this thing. If you drink beer for every second of the fest you'll be trashed in no time. You're going to have to stop and take a breather, even if it's only a short one, at least once or twice. Plan accordingly and make your "breathers" the same time you want to grab grub or get water. It's not that complicated.

JrGtr and Boca-X like this.
  40. Is there a way to validate the tickets? I bought two from a fellow Ba and I'm coming from NJ. If I were to be turned away, I'd be very upset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.