1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Eclipse Elijha Craig..Hows it Holding Up?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by xxcarpxx, Feb 10, 2013.

1. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Initiate (0) Alabama Jan 13, 2011

I've never had an Eclipse... But have both a vintage 12 yr Elijah Craig and 20 yr Elijah Craig in my sights... Has anyone had 11 or older vintage of these beers??? How have they held up??
    Cheers..
  2. I really like the EC 20 yr with some age on it. Never had the 12 yr, so I can't weigh in about that one.
  3. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Initiate (0) Alabama Jan 13, 2011

Thanks for the info...I hope to score one soon..
  4. The 09' EC12 is probably the best version out there and I have had every variation and vintage of Eclipse
    KevSal and ehammond1 like this.
  5. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Savant (280) California Nov 21, 2011

the 11 ec 12 is tasting great still the ec20 has mellowed out a bit and isn't as sweet as when i opened it fresh. Eclipse 10 Evan Williams is tasting phenomenal!
  6. CooperEllis

CooperEllis Savant (320) New York Feb 25, 2010

You say that and yet - not one bite on my last two attempts to trade remaining '09. Should anyone in this thread be looking - feel free to hit me up. /end threadjack

To answer the OP's question. I greatly prefer the EC treatments, but I have not had any of the special bottles (ICED, Coffee, Pappy, JD - depending on who you ask ;)). And I greatly prefer the EC treatments with more than one year in the bottle. Every fresh Eclipse I've had has been hella hot. The older bottles tend to fare (IMO) worse in the mouthfeel category. They can become watery or have a tackiness depending on the treatment. But the flavor has always improved. So it can depend what you're looking for. Blind taste-test I'd wager the older bottles would win hands down. But for 'overall' appeal, something w/ just one year on it may be your best bet.
    KevSal likes this.
  7. Over the past 6 months or so the trade value for any and all Eclipses have gone to shit. To much bottle variations and people hate fucking them. My personal favorites are Iced EC 09 pappy(3rd bottling) and the coffee is up there. I myself have one bottle of EC 09 left and I don't think I would trade it because you will not get much of an upgrade in flavor. Of course these are just my opinions what do I know
  8. Whatever your taste buds tell you
  9. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

I enjoyed the Four Roses and Grand Cru the most but the EC12 was very good.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Have you tried drinking them?
  11. A
    Apparently you didn't read the first part of my comment where I said I did the whole 20 bottle vertical a short time ago. And yes I probably drink as much if not more eclipse than one. I personally absolutely love the stuff and have about 35 bottles in the cellar at the moment

Cheers
  12. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Whoosh
    mborden likes this.
  13. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Try warming the bottle up first
    Azrael likes this.