Eclipse Futures 2013!

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by PaulStoneAnchor, Mar 13, 2013.

1. So I received the newsletter and futures will be on sale April 15th! I know I am excited, but I am curious to see which barrels will be used this year. Last year's barrels were definitely really interesting to taste, especially the Rebel Yell, Corn Whisky, and the Pikes Blend Rye. Those were my favorites of last year, but I am really curious to see what comes out this year. Anyone have any guesses!?!?!:D

2. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (310) California Nov 22, 2011

Pike's Blend Rye?

3. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Is Overpriced a barrel name?

4. Pikesville/Rittenhouse Blend

5. They aren't worth the price to me either, but it's hard to argue against their pricing when they all sell out before the next batch arrives.

6. Futures are fairly reasonable. 5050 doesnt control how much retailers and distributors mark up the Eclipse. And to be honest I have paid more for average wine, but no one bats an eye at that when really good wine goes for over $50 a bottle! Sometimes over $200, like Silver Oak, Stag's Leap, etc.

rgco likes this.
  7. rgco

Could that be attributed to hype? I think there are some great Eclipses from previous releases that I have paid quite a hefty some for, and futures is a good way to get a better deal on them.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  8. rgco

Good point, and my comment was rather tongue in cheek or ass in this case

9. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (665) California Oct 17, 2010

pappy van winkle

please!

MisterClean likes this.
  10. Anchor Old Portrero or Redemption Rye Please! ;)

Angst likes this.
  11. Xul

Xul Advocate (540) California May 18, 2008

A lot of people bat an eye at those prices, the wine world is just as subject to hype and overpriced mediocrity as the beer world is. One of my closest friends is a wine geek with a large cellar, and he has many of the same complaints about wine that I do about beer as it pertains to hype, pricing, and value. Your analogy holds some value, but it's also a double-edged sword, in that there are many similarities between wine and beer that beer geeks would prefer not to admit.

Gilmango and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  12. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (425) California Mar 13, 2009

You can talk about price vs quality with these beers, but they're still better (quality wise) and cheaper than most of Stone's Quingenti Millitre series.

13. danwho

danwho Savant (440) California Feb 18, 2010

Agree. QM has been a huge disappointment. Except for the BA Mac nut, oh my!
    Eclipse, while expensive, are worth it IMHO.

14. Eclipse futures are a phenomenal value. For ~$22 each, you can sit on your ass, do nothing and have myriad bottles of delicious, varied and nuanced barrel aged stouts delivered to your door.

Sure, if you put in the time, stress and energy you can round up BA stouts of comparable quality for cheaper, but time, stress and energy cost you a lot more than money in the long run.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  15. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (550) California Aug 11, 2007

Looking forward to stocking up this year again. I am about half through my 2012 bottles.

16. abecall98

It's very hard to get more than one bottle of Barrel Aged Stout in any state that isn't California I hear from the trading forum.

17. Where did you see that? I am on the e-mail list and got no such notice. Can you copy and paste the info, please.

nanobrew and thedirtyname like this.
  18. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (335) California Jan 11, 2010

19. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

My best overall Eclipse futures experience thus far has been the year I did not order any.

mikecharley, GRG1313 and domtronzero like this.
  20. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (425) California Mar 13, 2009

Hmm, Parabola should be hitting around that time too. Alesmith better not do a release that month too, or I am fucked

21. Save some of those for the next vertical in June!

22. Oh, you know they will - it will probably be when they do some BA release paired with bottled Vietnamese Speedway. Or worse yet, that will be when the BA Vietnamese comes out.

JustXBeer likes this.
  23. I wonder if they'll just skip bottled Vietnamese Speedway since they've been offering it for grumbler fills. BA Viet Speedway sounds more like their next move. And my body is ready (but not my wallet :().

That + Parabola would make me forget about Eclipse altogether.

24. SHODriver

SHODriver Advocate (515) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

I wish I had that problem. I have over a case from 2012 and all but EC12 and four roses from 2011...

I kinda want to find somebody to proxy for me but I don't know how much longer I'll be around after I get back.

25. At the Eclipse party in December I asked what their plans were for next(this) years Eclipse and if they will continue to expand with more and more versions. They said no way and that they will do far less than the 11 versions they came out with this year...not much info, but I suppose it is something. And we'll see if it's even true.

26. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (860) California Jan 31, 2005

Rebel Yell?!? I thought that was the weakest of the 5 types I tried.

27. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (910) California Jan 15, 2009

I'm still sitting on a 3L Rittenhouse from 2010 (or was it 2011?) I have no idea when I can serve or what I can do with it! However, I "won" the right to buy it at the release party and simply counldn't pass it up.

Skuter and JustXBeer like this.
  28. Buying these presale is the only way to go. Not worth the cost at retail, but presale is slightly closer.

29. abecall98

I got you.

30. Iced Bart or we riot.

jp7161 and usofar like this.
  31. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Savant (295) Nevada Jan 16, 2011

Probably skipping the futures this year, I'll probably just use the money for the release party instead since they'll be pouring all the varieties. Plus I still have 3 years worth of Eclipse in the cellar. It's a fine stout but with 8+ varieties a year lately they take up too much space.

32. kaseydad

kaseydad Champion (765) California Nov 23, 2008

Tash???? A hint for your BA bro's and sis's?

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  33. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (360) California Oct 17, 2009

I spoke with a couple of the Alesmith beertenders a couple weeks ago and they both thought that BA Grand Cru would be next. When I asked about BA Vietnamese SS, they said, "We haven't even bottled regular Vietnamese SS yet." That being said, both of them admitted that it was just a hunch and that they did not know for sure.

pmarlowe likes this.
  34. April is seriously going to be a hit to my wallet month.

Beerandraiderfan and Rainier like this.
  35. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (630) California Jun 12, 2009

Glad I got futures last year, will be getting more this year. Too bad the best blend imo (Gourmet Haus Staudt) wasn't available through futures, still excited to see the new blends and hopefully make it to the release party this year.

largadeer and Ruddick like this.
  36. Eclipse futures, Chocolate Rain, Bourbonic Plague and being in San Diego for a week in April. . . if my wallet was a character on Mortal Kombat, it would be on the receiving end of a brutality finisher.

Just spend the $$$ and tell yourself you're too big to fail. . .

StarRaptor, ehammond1 and kristalynn like this.
  37. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

Definitely planning on filing for a trustee bailout.

38. You know, you could probably order April beers from Alesmith on brown paper tickets and pick them up while your in SD......FINISH HIM!!!

39. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (300) California Nov 29, 2012

Yes...that 2!

40. I am in the process of completing my 2012 Eclipse set, and I can't wait to be a part of Futures for 2013. Glad my buddy moved to San Fran!