1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Eclipse Worth The Price?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brehnert, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Brehnert

Brehnert Savant (275) Pennsylvania Mar 17, 2011

My local store has a few Eclipse varieties (Brandy, Grand Cru, Four Roses, Rittenhouse Rye) but they're charging about $35/bottle! I've never had this before but figure it might be worth picking up just as trade bait since it seems so many people are looking for this. I just can't get past that price...is that insane or is this beer really that good/rare???

2. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Got mine for $30. I liked them a lot and I was happy having spent the money on them, but worth it depends on what you think. I think it is one of the beers that is more accurately priced. It doesn't sit around a long time, but you don't have to get on a list to get one (depending on where you are).

Heard the 4 roses was not very good though so that might be one to avoid.

3. I prefer Parabole but Eclipse easier to get. Both great.

4. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (710) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

5. $35 is quite a bit of money. I personally love most treatments but I would not pay $35 for them especially when you can purchase futures (now sold out) for either $20 or $22 depending on treatment

claaark13 likes this.
  6. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

i'd buy 'em and trade $4$ for goose island bourbon county stout.

FriarTuckInLuck and mdvatab like this.
  7. Brehnert

So maybe I'm better off just waiting until next year and jumping on some futures. Honestly, I'm not even looking to buy it for myself, it just seems like everyone wants it so it'd be a good one to have around for trades. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you guys rate it's trade value?

8. Brehnert

I would definitely be interested in doing that if people were interested. What do BCBS and BCBCS sell for?

9. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

The Eclipse varients are really damn good. I've enjoyed the five or so that I've been able to try.

That said, I don't think I'd ever buy one myself. It's just too much money, and there are much cheaper stouts (Parabola, BA Old Raspy) that are just as good.

peteinSD likes this.
  10. SpdKilz

BA Old Raspy is $20+ a bottle for a 500ml... Eclipse is around $30 for 650ml. It's not crazy different price wise when comparing to BA Old Raspy, and for sure not to 2009 BA Old Stock which still lingers around here for $25+ a pop.

11. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

I've had the Elijah Craig 12th and 18th anniversary on-tap for $7.00 for a 6-OZ pour of each! They were both fantastic, I preferred the Elijah 12th. I bought a bottle of the Brandy edition for $30.00. Its pricey but worth it. Parabola would be just as good if not better tho!

12. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Four packs run around $22-25. BCBCS was about $15

13. SpdKilz

I honestly think you'd be hard pressed to find someone to trade most of the Eclipse beers for BCBS $4$. The Eclipse stayed around Chicago for months (still know a few places with them sitting there) and BCBS 2011 was insanely hard to get. If I could get 3-4 BCBS 2011 for the Eclipse I had, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I feel (i.e. know) that won't happen often. But good luck!

pschul4 likes this.
  14. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

BA Raspy goes for $18 where I'm at, so that's why I mentioned that. It's the first time I've ever said BA Raspy is a cheaper option. :)

SpdKilz likes this.
  15. SpdKilz

Well hell, if that was the case by me I'd buy them up! Fantastic beer!

16. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

IMO…
    B-
    B
    A-
    A+
    …in other words - Rittenhouse is easily worth ≈$35 (≥EC12/18), the rest no. Certainly not Brandy or GC…

17. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Do you know how much founders imperial stout you can buy for one Eclipse?!?!?!

18. IMHO, HELL NO.

Especially not with Parabola sitting on the shelf for $14.99...

19. i'd guess a 4. pretty much anyone could mailorder them a year ago, and they were distributed pretty widely on top of that. plus, they're not very good. even guys i pegged as eclipse shills have been rating them poorly.

i'm eager to see the $35 asking price for this year's treatments aged in the barrels of $20 bourbons. that's when barrel-aging has officially jumped the shark.

maybe i have a terrible sense of humor, but it genuinely makes me lol that a man given free rein with 6 different barrel treatments couldn't blend a good one. i think it conclusively says a lot about his palate.

HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  20. I wish Parabola's were on the shelf. I went on a mission to snag up my one and two bottle allocation from every store within 60 miles. I've drank at least a dozen and would love many more at the shelf price if they were out there.

21. I have the max on this year futures and would gladly trade most marquees for 2 BCBS a pop even though it's not $4$.

22. HighWine

HighWine Savant (385) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

I agree. That said, I like Eclipse. What CHI area stores so you know still have them?

23. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

Not sure if they made an additional batch but if they only did one, I would not recommend trading for a 2+ year old coffee beer. It was fantastic relatively fresh, but is probably just a shell of its former self at this point.

24. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I'd say a resounding yes.

Eclipse makes some of my favorite barrel-aged stouts. The Rye was especially stellar.

That said, this is one BA brew that doesn't age well. After 15-18 months Eclipse is a pale shadow of what it is fresh (the Evan Williams was an exception). So if you're going to pull the trigger, do it soon & drink it soon.

25. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

No just no but hell no. I cannot even find that beer in the list got a link to it? many called Eclipse....
    No beer is worth that, at least not one under 15% abv. But that's just me, but there are many suckers out there overpaying for beer.

26. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

IMO, Some are and some arent. Last years batch was a crap shot and the bottle variations make it a little iffy at times. Was I glad I bought one of each sure. Would I do it again. Probably not all of them. Only ordered 3 this year, but am still pissed I didnt buy more EC12. That IMO is the best one. And Leviation is right the Grand Cru was a joke.

Cheers!

27. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Go in with a couple buddies on 1 bottle. That's what I did. It's worth the price to try once but I wouldn't be stocking up on bottles

28. mdomask

mdomask Savant (335) Illinois May 27, 2012

I know Lush Wine and Spirits in West Town has a couple bottles left. Their other locations might have a few, too.

HighWine likes this.
  29. I agree. Only the Rittenhouse and Four Roses variants are worth that price.

30. Personally I thought the Brandy was amazing.

EC18 is also very good.

Those are the only 2 2011s I've had.

31. A personal decision all the way. Everybody's taste and price tolerance is different.

32. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I really liked the EC 12 and EC 18 but the answer from me is still hell no. I've never understood why they're so expensive.

hopsbreath likes this.
  33. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

for me they're so worth it that i bought futures for the 2012 varietals. by far the dopest tasting i've ever been to was the Eclipse night where the beers were paired with the bourbon the beer was aged in. bourbon as chaser is rather nice

34. I had four 2011 variants. Here's what I would pay for each one in the future:

4 Roses - $0, really terrible
    Brandy - $5-10, ok but not better than much more common and less expensive BA stouts
    Grand Cru - $5-10, was ridiculously muddled, not how a grand cru should be, but might pay a bit to try one out with some age
    EC 12 - $20, by far the best of the four and comparable to other less expensive BA stouts. Still wouldn't pay the $30 again let alone $35. For that price you could (theoretically) get two 4-packs of KBS, more and better beer.

Just to prove yet again that it depends on individual taste.

35. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I enjoy the Eclipses, but I think at that price I'd only buy the 18 (white wax).

Also, for whatever weird-ass reason the Grand Cru was a lot better on tap than out of the bottle. It was my favorite at the party, then pretty disappointing from the bottles. Strange.

36. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (445) California Dec 21, 2011

The Elijah Craig variants are phenomenal and both trump Parabola IMO. Very pricy but hard to pass up if I see it on shelves. If anything I just go halves on it and share the bottle with a buddy.

Zhiguli likes this.
  37. Are you talking about the Rittenhouse Rye or most of the Eclipse's in general don't age well?

38. SpdKilz

In my opinion and experience, most do not age well.

39. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Yup. Most of them don't age well. The Rye in particular. That's a world-class A+ beer for me fresh, but after one year, it's just very good. But that's just one man's opinion (albeit one who generally likes barrel-aged beers aged).

40. Screw that. The bourbon costs less and tastes better. The Eclipse series is the biggest joke in craft beer hype. But no one wants to admit it.