1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Eclipse Worth The Price?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brehnert, Aug 6, 2012.

1. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (320) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

A lot of folks at the aforementioned tasting seemed to favor the EC 12, EC 18 and Iced... someone can correct me if I'm wrong there. That was a few months ago. The EC 18 was my favorite of the lineup and one of the best beers I had that night. I'm not sure I would shell out $30+ for any of the other variants.
  2. I would disagree with you. At last years release they had 09 10 and 11 rittenhouse and of every single eclipse variant they had the 09 rittenhouse was hands down my favorite
  3. I did not care for the rittenhouse rye but I found the EC 18 to be stellar after a few months. I however would not pay 30 dollars plus per bottle
  4. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

ouch. you must have a huge throat!
    Levitation likes this.
  5. I am seeing these all over the place as well. No way am I paying $30 for it. I coudl get a sixer of flower power, a 4 pack of 3 Beans and a bomber of Jack D'or for that price. Thanks but no thanks.
  6. Am I the only one that is repulsed by the idea that they used Evan Williams barrels? When I read that on the label, I thought, "Are you sure you want to be telling people you did that?"
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  7. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

I picked up the mellow corn whiskey, just to see how terrible the barrel flavor would be. It was just that, an awesome base beer combined with a rock gut whiskey. I would prolly do it again but the stores around here didn't get EC 18
  8. Folks Eclipse goes through the 3 tier system in every state it is sold which means we are not the sole benefactor of it's price. If you don't care for the beer or it's price it's seems reasonable not to like it or buy it. For those of you who think it's a joke that is your opinion and not a fact. I direct you to this link for the European Beer Star 2012 Awards scroll to page 4 and find Wood and Barrel Aged Strong beer...gasp!

http://european-beer-star.com/ebs12_en/downloads/presse/winners2012.pdf

Cheers!

Todd
  9. http://heavenhill.com/download.php?file=OTE=
  10. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

I had an Evan Williams during the Super Bowl and I thought it was fantastic. The only thing I can complain about is the ABV. For a stout, if I'm spending $30 on a beer (I didn't, I traded) then that's the only beer I'm going to want to drink. I had to reach for another. Other than that though I loved it and thought it was on par with some of the big boys. Can't wait to crack the EC 20!
    arniepnminne likes this.
  11. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Try one, maybe go in half with somebody and take it from there.
  12. I think there's a common misconception that non top shelf liquor will always = shitty -bal beer. Another one is "i don't like this liquor, so I won't like an imperial stout/barleywine aged in a liquor I don't like."

Not a fan of Evan Williams, but the EW Eclipse is pretty good.
    I find that shitty Christian Brothers Brandy makes a wonderful Brandy Eclipse. Heck I don't like any Brandy, Old Coast Brandy was good too. Same with Angel's Share.
    Not a fan of Rebel Yell, but the Rebel Yell Eclipse was good.
    Not a big fan of Utopias, but Coast's Blackbeerd Utopias was good.
    Can't stand tequila, but thought Mikkeller's tequila barrel black hole was good (and now my credibility sinks further, as I did not get the note on BA that we're supposed to hate those beers).
    Not a big fan of cognac, but Mikkeller's beer geek weasel cognac barrel was tasty etc. . . .
    pmarlowe, Angst, mdfb79 and 4 others like this.
  13. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

They are decent and a nice concept to see how the barrel they use drastically changes the beer. I personally wouldn't buy another bottle unless the barrel variation blew me out of this world.
  14. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

They were worth the futures price - $18-$22, which is what I got them at thanks to a great trading partner. They seem to be priced well enough though - they don't stay on the shelves in most markets for long.

If I saw them on the shelves for $30-$35, I'd pass.
    edproctor and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  15. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

This.

I really enjoyed the white wax Elijah Craig 18 (or 20, or whatever we're calling it nowadays) with about a year on it. Very smooth and rich. But, it wasn't $30-35 awesome, considering the competition (BCBS and Black Note @ $23/4pack, CW BBS @ $14/4pack, Parabola @$15/bomber, etc.).

These are good BA stouts, just not good enough to justify the price.
  16. At the $22.50 that I've gotten them for here in the Philly area I enjoy them. I actually like the fact that they are a barrel aged stout that is lower in ABV too. I can put one back with dinner on a work night and still reach for a nightcap. So far I have only had the Old Fitz this year and really enjoyed it. With that being said I've passed on a few variations at more expensive bottle shops ($30) in the area but would love to try them, specifically the EC variations.
  17. are you hyping your own beer? that's... just... sad.
  18. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

where are you finding them that cheap in the philly area? i've never seen anything below like $28, with $30-35 being the norm.
  19. But it won a competition I never heard of!
  20. I don't think its sad. Just like the Let's Pour guy, he's proud of what he does, its his passion, innovative and he's gonna stand up for it, even if its in a way that can be abrasive to some people (remind you of anybody?).

You guys can argue about subjective opinions all day, but he linked to what others thought through a blind judging competition, which hopefully is objective. . . certainly for more than yours, his or my opinion at least.

Thats not sad, that's called objective evidence.
    thenamestsam, maximum12 and ehammond1 like this.
  21. all matters of taste are subjective. and it's not that it was linked to, it was the fact that he came in here to do it in response to people who say the price isn't worth it. hell, a couple of years ago he was hyping the trade value of pvw eclipse in someone else's trade thread. that was sad, too.

i'd still like to hear about bottle variation. it's a legitimate concern. he ignores that.
  22. Who exactly made up your competition? I see Pelican on there, but I don't recognize the other brewery. Is it fair to guess that the BA category was rather poorly represented since this is a German festival so the lager categories were the fiercely contested ones? Because if so, congratulations?
    ehammond1 likes this.
  23. I can't believe they're selling for $30 a pop in MA.

Especially when 4pks of bourbon county still abound for $21 or so.
  24. How would you refute the price/value thing if you were the brewer/owner?

I would mention 1) three tier distribution v. reserve price 2) quality, and link other awards/opinions, not my own 3) economies of scale 4) real estate prices 5) normal offering prices ($6.25 for 14oz of golden ale!) 6) CA taxation issues = yeah, ours is probably higher than the average -bal price, for all the aforementioned reasons.

And yes, then I would say, if you don't like the price, don't buy it. Freedom rules.

You gotta like a guy who "likes" your comment calling him sad.

Todd, Alicia should hire a PR guy for yall. Will work for Brandy Eclipse.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  25. i think it's slightly overpriced. from OP, with the 3 tier and shipping to philly, it would be nice if the final price was closer to 30 instead of 35, but even if the wholesale price was lowered, the final retailer on the east coast would probably still sell it for 35 because it's eclipse and eclipse is eclipse is eclipse. I like the beer, i will continue to buy it, but there are other bba stouts i prefer.
  26. i wouldn't. do i sound like someone that would do well in pr?

ya that was pretty cool.

so, any comments on bottle variation?
  27. I got Rittenhouse Rye, Old Fitz, and Mellow Corn at Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting for $22.50, I suppose ~$25 after tax (they are out now, but had them for a decent while). Now, everywhere else I've found them is like you said $30.
  28. You state your position/info clearly and concisely. I prefer that to "Here at ___ corp, we value your input, and we're sorry that your issue has arisen, we will do our best to resolve the matter (but some arbitrary in house rule prevents us from actually addressing your substantive complaint)."

Its why Dana Perino and George Stephanopolous were good press secretaries, and why Jay Carney and Ari Fleisher sucked.
  29. After trying the Rittenhouse Rye '11 and '12 side by side...I am so freaking glad I have so many and different Eclipse. Worth every penny.
  30. well, my response to "why is ____ so expensive?" would be "because we can get away with charging that much." i wouldn't last a day.
  31. If you glance through the other winners from the USA there are many notable barrel aging breweries participating. There were over thirty entries in the category. Who entered what category is not disclosed. There are at least two breweries repeatedly mentioned in this very thread who participated in the European Beer Star and it would surprise me that they didn't send their barrel aged beers. I'll leave it at that...glance the winners list and you decide...

US breweries represented the second largest number of entries only behind Germany. It is not a festival but rather a competition along the lines of the World Beer Cup. Blind judging, style guidelines adopted from World Beer Cup. EBS is essentially only behing GABF and World Beer Cup in 'prestige'. Not knowing about it is well not being informed...

Fans of Iced Eclipse should look on same page for Ultra Strong Beer...

I know that the detractors will detract and I can't worry about their dislike for the product. I guess that is what Beer Advocacy is all about. I feel they are in the minority as the demand grows in the US and outside as well. Eclipse is in Japan and we're in negotiations for Great Britan and Germany.

As I am sure you will all agree the best way to show support or protest is with your dollars. We invested over $100K in equipment over the last two years allowing us to handle the product as gently as possible in all stages of production. In 2012 we marked bottles with bottling run numbers as a means to track 'so called' bottle variation. Each bottling run number represents approximately 600 gallons of Eclispe (12 barrels evacuated into bright tank, chilled, carbonated and sent to bottling line). We did this to acknowledge that Bottle run 1 and Bottle run 2 could indeed taste slightly different based on the fact that the individual barrels in each run once blended will affect final flavor. Each barrel is tasted by 4 or more people with trained pallettes looking for off flavors etc. No barrel is added to a bottling run if any taster detects an undesirable flavor or aroma the barrel is isolated and examined via plating at a later date.

Thanks for the bandwidth. I don't care to respond in this manner as there are those who see it as pimping etc. If you read all the posts I would prefer to say I'm responding to unjust statements that need to clarified.

Cheers!

Todd
  32. But the prices people are complaining about are not what the brewery charged consumers ($22). Its what some retailers are charging ($30+).

I think I witness palate variation moreso than bottle variation.
  33. Angst

Angst Aficionado (185) California Nov 8, 2007

Eclipse is one of my favorite BA beers. This is the second year I've bought futures. I will more than likely buy them next year. I've bought multiples of each but if I missed out on the futures, I'd probably just buy one of each. Futures = multiple bottles. Retail at $30-$35 = one to two bottles at most. If retail was $20-$25 I don't think they'd be on the shelf to long.
  34. niiiiiiiice

fair enough, though i thought the futures sold out in an hour or something. most people are stuck paying the $30+.
  35. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

Worth it once, probably. Worth it every year or would I want to buy all of them, probably not.
  36. I hope California Craft Distributors gets a bigger allotment than Japan , GB and Germany? Relatively speaking.
  37. I treated myself to one bottle few weeks back, It was the Old Fitzgerald. Delicious, but the price stopped me from grabbing a few more. (27$)
  38. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

Way overrated / overpriced for a BA stout that doesnt stand out
  39. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

No: When BCBCS, BA Raspy, and Parabola are available for $10-$15 less on the shelf.

However, the price makes them linger... so it might be worth it for convenience factor.
  40. I wish we had the physical plant of any of the breweries mentioned. Sadly, we don't have the financial backing, the buying power and the capacity to brew as much as they do either. Not making excuses we did put the beer on the market... As the product moves through the three tier system all parties need to make margin and a profit. Simply put our wholesale price is well below the 'futures' price. What happens beyond our doors is interesting. Transportation, taxes, warehousing, delivery to retailer, retailer marketing etc. I'm not complaining it is just an interesting examination of the economics beyond the brewery doors.
    jRocco2021 likes this.