1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Edinburgh, its getting really craftastic now

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by Zimbo, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Just an FYI. folks.

I know you've heard me bang on about how Edinburgh is becoming even greater but for the record there will soon be a fifth pub/bar (The Hanging Bat) to be opened which classifies its self as a 'craft' place (BrewDog, Holyrood 9a, Red Squirrel and The Southern already do). Furthermore, there was already a 'Craft Beer Festival' in the Edinburgh just this past July. It all dispells all this head/arse in the sand nonsense that 'craft' is a meaningless term. Exciting times and they make for some awesome additions to all the superb Edinburgh cask ale pubs.
    champ103 likes this.
  2. Neat. The next time I'm up there I'll use this list as a guide.
  3. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Savant (250) California Aug 12, 2008

I studied in Edinburgh for a semester years ago. Is it true that you can visit a different pub every day for a year and never repeat?
    Hoppsbabo likes this.
  4. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

I have thought for a while now that Edinburgh needs its own BeerFly Guide page to show up on the first Places page. I really need to take another vacation...er work trip to Scotland;)
  5. And how much credit are we going to give BrewDog on this one? ;)
  6. none, they weren't the first just the loudest
  7. You could do it in Cambridge when I was there 8 years ago.
  8. I've heard this attributed to York (my nearest city)....
  9. Wish this kind of thing would kick off in Cardiff, I guess we will have to wait for Brewdog to turn up first.
  10. Pretty sure that is the case.
  11. Honestly, and I know there'll be those here who don't want to hear it, but the answer has to be the lion' s share.
  12. They're opening their 2nd London bar next month.

No credit to them down here mind in respect to Londons burgeoning craft beer scene (and I'm not a BD knocker) - that all goes to the Rake/Utobeer folks and to the Craft Beer Corporation
  13. No one in Scotland has delivered the whole craft beer reality like BrewDog. Its well beyond just the beer they brew now.
  14. and North Bar in Leeds pre dates them
  15. Thank you. That's all I ask...I appreciate the quality of their beer is suspect at times but they still, in their efforts to draw attention to themselves, produced favourable side-effects for the wider craft community, especially in Edinburgh.
  16. Totally correct there Darwin. Their influence and inspiration up here is incontestable.
  17. Influence in the sense that everyone hates them?
    Zimbo likes this.
  18. Outside of this forum and CAMRA I don't know a single person who truly hates BrewDog. In recent years they have done more than anyone else in Scotland to create interest in beer, especially among young drinkers. CAMRA is way out of step with recent developments and interest in beer and will continue to struggle to engage these young beer drinkers.
  19. Oh come on, that's bullshit and you know it. Brewdog are yesterday's news in Scotland. The little army of fanatical young men they have cultivated doesn’t represent "young drinkers" as you seem to think; those types are much more obnoxious than the worst CAMRA bore.
  20. Well, its not bullshit in my experience. While BrewDog obviously doesn't appeal to all they certainly have carved themselves a pretty fine niche for themselves and without their success we wouldn't have had places new places around Edinburgh calling themselves 'craft bars'. And there's still the Hanging Bat to come just as there is Inn Deep in Glasgow now. The only thing that really separates these places with BrewDog is that they actually do carry cask beers which these places don't fawn over as 'cask/real ale'. Instead they're just a part of the range of quality beers on offer as there is no heirarchy based on method dispension.
  21. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

I'd be interested to know the expanded version of this thought.