1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by t8000shx, Aug 29, 2012.

1. t8000shx

t8000shx Savant (305) New York Mar 2, 2004

Hello!

So looks like I'll be in Eindhoven for a quick work trip in late September. While I'm not at all sure I'll have any time away from work, I figured I'd see if anyone knows of any good bars or beer stores in the city. I did a bit of searching and didn't find a whole lot, but maybe some locals know of a few hidden gems?

Anyway, even aside from beer, I'd love to hear of a few decent restaurants to check out! Hopefully I'll be able to get a meal or two to myself.

2. Well, I got this reply in my Benelux-Oct 2012 thread in this forum:

Bierman9 said:
    Ladies and Gents,​

Does Eindhoven have any good bier spots? I may go there for a combo war/bier day, and try to fit in Venlo as well.​
    If you make it to Eindhoven, do it for the war day and don't expect much in the way of a bier day.
    drtth, Aug 21, 2012

3. t8000shx

t8000shx Savant (305) New York Mar 2, 2004

Ha, fair enough. That's pretty much what I expected. Thanks for the info!

4. Hey Ben! Eindhoven is very near to the abbey of Koningshoeven and pretty near to where i live. I can not help you with Eindhoven but i will check if i can find something!

Thijs

5. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

The place Thijs linked to is fine for finding a few beers (other than Adjunct lagers) that you may not have had, etc. but be prepared, the folks who hang out there are mostly 20 somethings and younger.

As for restaurants, this guide (ordered by rating score):

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ndhoven-Eindhoven_North_Brabant_Province.html

pretty much covers the bases and you'll find a nice variety of different types of places to eat within the central district.

There is a Mitra bottle shop which has a nice selection, but if you are staying in the central district and are on foot you'll want someone with a car to take you there because it is outside the ring road and may be a bit of a hike depending on where you are staying.

If you are going to Eindhoven for a work trip, that pretty much suggests that you'll be either at Philips or at the TU. In either case you may be able to find someone with reasonable local knowledage about the food and maybe the beer (there are a fair number of UK folks in Eindhoven and they love their beer :).

But all that said, Eindhoven is a very pleasant town to visit and I think you'll enjoy your visit there.

6. JorisP

JorisP Aficionado (200) Belgium Dec 6, 2002