1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Einhorn in cans?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by kunstdrache, Jan 2, 2013.

1. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Savant (255) Texas Sep 22, 2006

While reading the latest issue of ABG I happened to read poll section that ABW will be canning Einhorn this year. While this gets me amped up like crazy, I KNOW I read some where on a thread here that the guys at ABW were hesitant about canning Einhorn due to the possibility of souring yeast getting into their other beers (ah, here it is http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/sputnik.55721/#post-744195 ). Did that change or are the guys at ABG getting drunk too often and posting random brewmors through the issues?

2. It's entirely possible we once told the ABG guys that Einhorn cans were imminent. After the great response it got on draft, we figured being the first brewery to can a Berliner Weisse would be pretty sweet. But, when we started to consider the logistics of it, certain dangers became apparent.

At present, we don't have any plans to put Einhorn in cans. Sad Panda.

All that said, the ABG guys do drink a lot...

Michael Graham
    Austin Beerworks

BK1017 likes this.
  3. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

Oh bother. Understandable though.

4. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (210) Texas May 11, 2009

That's OK...it'll just free you up to have the time to make coming to DFW possible!

5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

They can barely keep up with growth in Austin, as is. Their bbl numbers are insanium in the cranium for only being in one market.

Let's all chip in and buy them a second bottling line for Einhorn that we can sour the -f out of like we just don' care! I've got $5 for a Kickstarter :)

I'd be happy if it were just year-round in kegs. Oh, and if you could release one of those Sputnik-style aluminum growlers for it as well, that'd be greeeat.

JJFoodie likes this.
  6. jsprad

jsprad Aficionado (115) Texas Apr 15, 2009

One of the ABG editors here. Just want to clear a few things up:

1. We don't drink much, if at all. We just see craft beer and the guide as a good business opportunity.

2. We like to go to breweries and ask a lot of questions until we get an answer we like. I think we heard ABW tell us seasonals would hopefully be canned in 2013. We sat around and did the math and concluded that meant Einhorn would be canned. Then as the guide was at the printer we saw Michael's comments on here about why it does not make sense to can. The beauty of print...

Thanks y'all.

JJFoodie likes this.
  7. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Wonderful response, thanks for the early morning wit!

JJFoodie likes this.
  8. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (210) Texas May 11, 2009

"Early Morning Wit," hmmmm...I smell a marketing idea!

9. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Savant (255) Texas Sep 22, 2006

Many thanks Michael for your speedy response! I may have to resort to getting pigs filled with Einhorn so I can bring it on the river.