1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

El Cajon Brewing Company, Chapter 11

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by evilc, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's not in Alpine

2. Good thing they make good beer and excellent decisions to back up all this drama with....

evilc likes this.
  3. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I remember asking the waitress if they bottom filled growlers and she looked at me like I was crazy....

4. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Not enough breweries do this, always drives me nuts. Although since Societe purges their growlers with CO2, they get a pass, the rest...

5. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

Why in the world would you expect the waitress to know that? That's ridiculous.

Tieman, jmgrub, NoSignsOfPain and 2 others like this.
  6. HopHead84

I find it interesting that Alesmith doesn't bottom fill growlers. When I asked them about it they said it made no difference.

7. MacNCheese

They could be right, the same amount of beer is going to be oxidized, as when it's bottom filled the top swirls as it rises and is exposed to air then. I just thought it was easier and resulted in less waste if you bottom filled.

I should ask them to CO2 purge the growler "You know, like Societe does."

8. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

It likely doesn't if you are drinking the growler that night. They still use plastic cups for tasters too so....

9. MacNCheese

They have glass now if you order a pint.

10. evilc

I think a waitress at a BREWING COMPANY should have been trained a quick 5 minutes by the management in BREWING TERMINOLOGY. I guess I shouldn't even expect her to know what a growler is, what an IPA is - anything right?

I guess I expect employees of a business to know about the business and its product.

11. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Waitresses/servers aren't usually the ones filling the growlers. Expecting them to know technical details like that is unrealistic. They probably don't know what's in the grain bill for their flagship beers, but you don't see me bitching about it. :p

Hatzilla and HopHead84 like this.
  12. HopHead84

Except the bartenders fill the growlers, not the servers. Do you expect the hostess to know what bottom filling is? What about counterpressure filling? Do you think the janitor or the busboy should know these things too? I mean, they work at a BREWING COMPANY so everyone in the building on the payroll should be able to cater to your beer expertise.

Naturally, the servers should know what beers they serve and that they have growlers for fill. I wouldn't expect them to know the process of filling the growler, especially if you refer to it as bottom filling. Maybe if you asked them if they stick the tube in the growler when they fill it they'll know what you're talking about. I'd simply expect them to be able to find out for me.

13. MacNCheese

Evilc demands any and all brewery employees, from janitors to busboys to servers to all be Cicerone Certified.

14. HopHead84

This is a BREWING COMPANY. Here, we know BREWING TERMINOLOGY, and we learn it all in 5 MINUTES.

15. evilc

Yes.

Serious though - she didn't even which beers were ECBC's.

pinkgrenade likes this.
  16. riko

riko Savant (280) California Jan 18, 2008

I think we should all withhold judgment of her abilities as a waitress until someone posts a photo of her mopping the floor.

17. HopHead84

Flawless victory

18. evilc

Does Steve have said photos?

19. MacNCheese

Probably because they weren't any on tap. Trick question.

20. Dankbeers619

Dankbeers619 Zealot (95) California Aug 20, 2010

I have had the unfortunate mistake of trying this said brewery 3 times since it is by my house.....Every single time seemed like I was waiting for a menu, a beer, my food, any help for over 20 mins. Glasses were not filled and food was sub-par, especially for the price....which seems to be the norm now for breweries. I went back the last 2 times to give it a shot with hopes that; 1. I would be able to support a local brewery and 2. Things would get better with employees becoming more comfortable and knowledgeable in time. As stated previously, this was not the case and the place has gone to hell and a hand basket. It reminds me of a saying my dad use to tell me, " No matter how much you polish a pile of shit, it's still a piece of shit.!!"

The beers were good when this brewery opened up, but due to the mentioned budget constraints, it is easy to see how the decline of beers, customers and soon, the brewery itself will be no more.....

It really is sad when you have residents and owners alike who were holding out hopes that this business would not only thrive but bring more profits for the surrounding area. I have to agree that a red flag should have been brought up when you have to go back and ask for 100% more budget....That is plain retarded.....

My hopes, as a resident of East County, is that a good solid company will take over this establishment and make it what it should be.....a thriving, enjoyable location where anyone can go to enjoy quality beer and food for years to come. There is no way that this could be strictly a production facility with no spot for trucks to pick up or deliver but could very well be a "growler fill station" or open doors for events such as SD Beer Week or meetings for beer clubs....just keep your options open instead of closing your doors to the community that helped you and tried to support your dream.

21. East County checking in.

How cool would a Pizza Port El Cajon be?

22. Sounds like a case for John Taffer!

I've always thought that the Bar Rescue blueprint was silly because crappy restaurant operations is always the fault of ownership/management...and two days of some guy screaming at restaurant personnel and adding a facility makeover is like putting lipstick on a barrel of infected Alpine BA Token.

Agree with Dankbeers619 and his pops.

23. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

I vote for Alpine, Scripps Ranch location.

24. sbuysse

sbuysse Aficionado (165) Arizona Sep 30, 2005

I thought it might work because its not that far away. maybe Alpine Beer Co. products would change with different water? They started out at Alesmith didn't they? lots of breweries change or add locations.

25. They already have a new location picked out in Alpine, not sure where exactly they are at in the process. I'm assuming the last news letter informing of the increased production for next year has something to do with it.

sbuysse likes this.
  26. Most breweries use filters and create the water profile they want regardless of where they are. I assume Alpine does this as well.

sbuysse likes this.
  27. MacNCheese

The land is bought but they apparently have to work up a different investment scheme. Plans are drawn up as well, so not sure where they are in the fundraising scheme. But it won't be larger than 10,000BBL/yr as they want to keep the company a small family run organization. Alpine will never be a Stone level operation.

Dankbeers619 and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  28. this.

29. ferraricherie

ferraricherie Initiate (20) Nov 3, 2012

I never understood how a brewery got financing from the city. It never washed with me.
    I'd like to try some good beers out but after reading this, I dislike giving that failed owner any of my business.

30. This thread is like a beer soap opera.

31. You must be one of those people that thinks coriander tastes like soap...

32. DoughIn

DoughIn Aficionado (100) California Sep 27, 2009

33. evilc

wat

Hatzilla likes this.
  34. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

35. I'm a bankruptcy attorney in El Cajon that lives in East County. I don't know much about beer, but the food is decent enough and my wife loves it for date night. Works for me!

I have no connection to ECBC or their bankruptcy case, but the attorney for the landlord is a friend of mine. The bankruptcy pleadings do make of vague reference to the loss of a brewer, which is consistent with what I heard from listening to employee conversations. I think the single biggest problem for ECBC is cutting a deal with the landlord on the rent. If that doesn't happen, they won't be open much longer. They are already on their second law firm, and that is never a good sign.

I couldn't care less about the drama that has gone on in the past there. However, I hate to see anybody go out of business and wouldn't want their employees suffer. I hope they pull through.

36. JMF

JMF Disciple (65) California Mar 10, 2012

Well that was a fun read :)

37. Craftattle

Craftattle Aspirant (25) Nov 27, 2012

Hello, I am a personal friend of David's and have known him and his
    wife for 20 years. He can no longer make his voice heard on this terrible
    situation since ECBCs "CEO" (or as he is now known by in the brewing community,
    "DB") has filed a temporary restraining order on David!
    Believe that?? When you read this thread are there any "threats" made by
    David? Does he sound hostile?
    David has never threatened him or anyone else nor is he a violent person.
    Besides Steve isn't worth spitting on.
    Don't blame it on the "brewer", the reason ECBC is failing is because
    They have an uneducated, inexperienced con man as a CEO!
    Get rid for him and bring David back!!!

38. HopHead84

Are you sure you're not just David posting under a new account?

stawn, Levitation and mrkrispy like this.
  39. And just when I unwatch this thread, it gets interesting again.

40. ^^^^^spoke too soon^^^^^^^

Wonder how many more friends and relatives will be signing up on BA to comment on this Abel and Cain beer bankruptcy drama? Wonder if we can get David and CEO Bro's mom to weigh in?

pinkgrenade likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.