El Cajon Brewing Company, Chapter 11

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by evilc, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craftattle

Craftattle Aspirant (25) Nov 27, 2012

Its funny because they want to target a different market, like the Spanish community. Tecate, Corona?
    Seriously? This was tried before by another SD brewery that went Bankrupt after ripping off all the investors and employees much like DB is doing at ECBC. This is San Diego. Home of hoppy ales not mainstream Mexican lagers,
    which the busboy would never be able to brew anyway, nowhere to hide all the off flavors!
    I just heard that DB did NOT get his restraining order on David.
    What kind of "man" tries to get a restraining order on his 'brother'??!! I mean really.
    That is what a true COWARD does. Cant have a face to face conversation and work out the kinks!
    Not man enough. The thing is that DB is AFRAID of the truth.
    Too many holes in your hull and your running out of plugs....

2. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (915) California Nov 29, 2006

I don't know you personally, David, but from the tone and content of your posts I don't think your brother's alleged attempt to get a restraining order against you is that far out there.

mrkrispy, Levitation, Xul and 2 others like this.
  3. Well I don't think it's funny at all. It's a little insulting that you think that targeting people like me, my family and friends is somehow humorous. I understand that you don't like Tecate or Corona, and that it was not your intent to be insulting. The rest of your post is irrelevant to my point.
    Cheers

4. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Wait - David has 2 accounts?

5. shh, don't get him deleted. this is pretty entertaining.

6. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

7. SDDanC

SDDanC Initiate (0) California Mar 1, 2011

David, I appreciate your sentiment regarding my skill level. I have a lot to learn; regardless of the current situation, I am more than blessed to be brewing on the system I am. Each day is a learning experience and I am doing all the research I can while gaining experience in each area I can find. Feel free to come down and try some of the new beers, I would be very interested in your feedback.

HopHead84 likes this.
  8. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

ITS A TRAP!

9. good read, guys...on an aside, can anyone explain the strange taste to their deep-fried foods? is it something about the oil they use? something else?

10. It wasn't an alleged attempt, but it was a failed attempted. The case number is 37-2012-00058610-CU-HR-NC and it was filed at the Vista courthouse. The judge denied the ordered on 12/07/12.

11. You are tasting drama.

12. I had the fish & chips on Friday...tasted fine to me. Somebody thought my wife was some from the department in El Cajon that handles zoning and business licenses. Uh...no.

13. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

I'm sure this has already been said, but strong contender for thread of the year. Bravo. Encore.

Hatzilla likes this.
  14. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Can someone run down the casting of this Beer Opera? Both names/usernames. I seem to be getting confused.

nanobrew likes this.
  15. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I agree, I got confused when SDDanC started talking from a personal perspective when previously it seemed he was an outsider giving input. So is SDanC the new "brewer" and former "busboy"?

16. MacNCheese

The Cast of El Cajon Brewing Soap Opera:

Steve Meadows, aka ECBC, CEO of ECBC
    David Meadows, aka DoughIn, former brewer and brother of Steve
    Busboy Brewer, aka SDDanC, former bus boy, now lead brewer
    CarlStarreltt, local attorney and friends with landlords attornery who's trying to get back rent ou of Steve Meadows
    Craftattle, possibly David having to get a new username under threat of restraining order by Steve which fell apart

City of El Cajon, got taken by Steve.

17. If you look at SDDanC's posts in this thread, they do not seem to be from an outsider at all, but from somebody inside the doors. He probably tried to sound like a third party not to make it look like he was defending himself.

Keeping score, we have gotten posts from the former brewer (under two accounts), the owner, and the new brewer / apprentice / former "bus boy". DRAMA!

18. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

yeah looking back I see he made the comment that he has craft beer knowledge and was hired. What threw me off was his first post.

You are correct that a "busboy" has been brewing. But what has not been made clear is that this gentleman was taking under as an apprentice long before stuff started to go awry. He became the assistant brewer and has since been brewing solo while waiting for a Brew Master to undertake the position. The idea that they just chose a random busboy and trained him to brew beeris simply misconceived. Cheers

19. Yeah kinda strange. But on the other hand if everyone was bashing my employer I don't think I would want to get too involved. So maybe he just intended to make things clear? Idk.

20. I'm waiting for the girl that looks good when she bends over to mop the floor to post in this thread.

21. I also know the bankruptcy attorney for El Cajon Brewing Company. Call me crazy, but I do like the beer and food there too.

22. unlike their deep-fried burger, zucchini, or mac n cheese balls, the drama makes me come back for a second helping...

23. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

Somebody local get an expedition to mythical mopping creature already, I'm not about to drive the 15 miles out there just to prove it exists.

wethorseblanket and domtronzero like this.
  24. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (270) California Sep 10, 2011

^ creepy.

25. MacNCheese

It's Krispy, not creepy.

26. I haven't seen her yet and I think I'm the FourSquare mayor there.

mrkrispy and HopHead84 like this.
  27. Probably because she seems to have been the only person involved that was smart enough to punch out early from what has become a flaming wreck.

28. I checked the court's docket and there's a hearing on Friday. The landlord is asking the just to lift the automatic stay and continue the eviction lawsuit. It makes for an interesting read and it does sound like they are doing a number of things to make the business profitable, including ramping up to sell their own brews to local restaurants and bars.

The behind-the-scenes drama keeps rearing its ugly head though. They are alleging that the disgruntled brother is working with the landlord to get them kicked out so the landlord's family can take over the restaurant. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

29. MacNCheese

Ha, awesome. When you say 'evict' does that mean the owner takes everything that isn't bolted down?

What happens to the brewhouse?

30. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Wow, that's a lot of drama. Need to get some schwag to add to my defunct brewery collection.

Im new but a crazy read.

djaeon likes this.
  31. Well, keep in mind that it is still early in the case and I doubt the bankruptcy judge would grant the motion at this point. If the owners can come up with some good faith money, the just might let them proceed with their plan of reorganization.

With respect to the eviction process, owners of ECBC could leave with stuff that isn't "bolted down". Once something becomes attached to land, it is generally called a "fixture". If someone is evicted from a house, they can take their appliance like the washer and dryer, but the couldn't take the furnace or the water hearer.

The brewing equipment looks like it would be a "fixture" that the landlord would get to keep. The likelihood of that happening are pretty remote right now as I see things.

32. No, FFE (Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment) is not owned by the landlord. If the equipment was financed, there will be a lien on them. They will be removed by the lienholder. That is why you see so many Used Restaurant Equipment stores. If they were paid for, the brewer can take them. Small restaurants go belly up all the time. The tenant improvements have to stay but not furniture ,fixtures or equipment.

Brewing equipment is selling for a premium right now so they wouldn't have trouble getting rid of it.

33. Wrong. In most cases, the landlords don't want the fixtures of a prior business because they are usually trying to get the premises ready for a new occupant that is probably going to be a different type of business. I believe the prior occupant was either a Hollywood or Blockbuster video and not of their fixtures would be of use to a restaurant.

The fixtures might have a lien on them that is valid as between the lien holder and the owners of ECBC, but the landlord's right would supecede those.

34. Brewing equipment is not part of the structure. There is no way that the landlord has any claim to it (unless he provided financing).

Landlords are at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of creditors.

35. Legally, a fixture is part of the structure. So as far as the landlord being at the bottom of the totem pole, we can agree to disagree.

36. The ECBC is still operating today, correct? If the owners of ECBC decided to strip the building of the brewing equipment tonight and leave town with it, would the Landlord be able to call the cops tomorrow and charge them with theft?

37. Xul

Xul Advocate (530) California May 18, 2008

Can we get back to the Meadows brothers taking potshots at each other in a public forum? That was way more interesting than a legal argument about what may or may not happen in six months...

38. Criminal prosecutions relating to landlord/tenant disputes are extremely rare. However, yes, it is theoretically possibly to bring criminal charges if the owners of ECBC did strip the brewing equipment and take off. I doubt very seriously that District Attorney's office or El Cajon PD would be too interesting in pursuing the matter, but it is possible.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  39. I'll grant you that. People don't realize how boring most court proceedings actually are.

One of the Meadows brothers did find me on Facebook and offer to show his proof. No thanks...I'm not taking sides on this one.

40. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Learning a lot about real estate. Do they even have beer on tap?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.