1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

El Cajon Brewing Company, Chapter 11

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by evilc, Oct 22, 2012.

1. CarlStarrett

CarlStarrett Member

A phrase I've used many times.
  2. CarlStarrett

CarlStarrett Member

The official legal name is Downtown El Cajon Brewing Co., Inc. and that comes from the California Secretary of State's website and is consistent with their court filings. That's about all I know of their legal structure.

I also note that their corporate status us now suspended. That means they don't even have the legal right to appear in court now until the suspension is lifted. That is not good at all.
    HopHead84 likes this.
  3. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Member

I'm going to keep an eye on craigslist. "I hate my brother so I'm selling his brewing gear". Cheap.
    corby112 and MacNCheese like this.
  4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Member

Then why do you have a Beer Advocate Account?
  5. CarlStarrett

CarlStarrett Member

Because I like ECBC and the thread interested me.
  6. DoughIn

DoughIn Member

Well San Diego is, if you don't already know it, the micro brewing capital of the world right now with 60+ breweries already open and several more in the planning. I travel around the world installing and brewing beer for a living and help people in realizing their dream of opening their very own brewery.
    Over the past 7 years I have been a part of over 100 brewery installations worldwide, three of them I designed and built from the ground up. El Cajon is one of them. The other two are thriving and very successful breweries and I am very proud of them.
    I am proud of the brewery at EC, even if many details were shoestring budget, I made it work.
    I am sure I could have made EC successful too, had I been given the "go" and had a "smarter" partner.
    I was totally used for my knowledge and connections and got an extremely good deal on that brewing system and was naive enough to think I had a part in it all. Only to be deceived and lied to by a very sick and disturbed person.
    I don't feel sorry fro the employees. Quite the opposite really. You don't know what is like working for DB.
    I hope they all get better jobs working for better people. Human people. People with compassion.
    People with empathy.
    My wife and I are continuing with our quest to open our own brewery and that should be a reality by 2014!
    I thank all on this thread who have supported me and I hope to see you all in the future drinking beer!
    David
  7. jamex

jamex Member

And with that, lock this thread. Good night everybody.
  8. evilc

evilc Member

Why lock it? Should stay open until the place closes. People are interested.
  9. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

10. CarlStarrett

CarlStarrett Member

It keeps getting worse. On Friday, the City of El Cajon filed a motion for relief from the automatic stay to foreclose on its lien. The City alleges that the total outstanding debt is $601,086.85 and that ECBC is behind in the payments by more than $56,000.

In the court filings, the City alleges that it has a security interest in the brewing equipment and other fixtures and they attached a copy of the document filed with the Counter Recorder's office that seems to support this claim. In the absence of a sale, I don't see how this place would be able to stay open beyond the spring.
  11. evilc

evilc Member

Go get your growler fills boys!!
    ficklenicholas and afrokaze like this.
  12. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

As suspected, the landlord has no rights to the equipment, the debt/equity does.
    pinkgrenade likes this.
  13. DoughIn

DoughIn Member

Well surfing the internet has its surprises. Looks like my wife and I are still active on El Cajon Brewings beer production license! I just fired up the Hot liquor tank!
    afrokaze, Sebowski and danscott like this.
  14. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

All depends on the order people get in line as creditors...

To brew? But if you have no interest in the business are you allowed on site to make beer?

I wonder how all that works. Might as well make a tripple IPA...sounds like ECBC will go out of business before the last kegs are tapped. I'd like to try your Pliny-the-Sued-&-Bankrupt.
    DoughIn likes this.
  15. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz Member

ISO: Chapter 11 IPA...mmmmmmmmm
  16. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Too bad we can't get Poorhouse Brewing thrown under this bus as well. They need sued just for good measure. And they make shitty beer.
    pinkgrenade and domtronzero like this.
  17. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Member

When will this thread ever not deliver!
  18. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Member

seriously. their good yelp reviews crack me up. what about this place could anyone enjoy!?
  19. evilc

evilc Member

Waitresses mopping.
  20. CarlStarrett

CarlStarrett Member

Not necessarily, because the lien might be defective. The loan documents all say that the money was borrowed from the El Cajon Development Agency. Redevelopment agencies in CA are now defunct due to a money grab by the state government, so I think the $600,000 is now technically owed to the state. However, the lien is in favor of the city of El Cajon and that raises the questions of whether the lien is even valid. And of course the lease might still trump the City's lien depending on what the lease. I've seen the lien, I have not seen the lease.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  21. CarlStarrett

CarlStarrett Member

I think they currently have triple IPA.
  22. CarlStarrett

CarlStarrett Member

I gave them a good review. I like their burgers and pizza. My wife loves the IPAs they server. She drinks beer, I drive.
  23. DoughIn

DoughIn Member

24. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz Member

The one with the big boobies? T&A Brewing Co?
  25. evilc

evilc Member

wtf is a triple IPA?
  26. evilc

evilc Member

Mason jars? Fucking gay.
  27. evilc

evilc Member

28. Xul

Xul Member

Mop girls aside, I'm oddly curious about their Panty Dropper Ale. With an OG of 1.146 and ABV of 18.5%, that would have to be VERY, VERY dry for a beer of that strength. I haven't gone in there in spite of the fact that I live a block and a half away, but has anyone tried their house beers, specifically the Panty Dropper?
  29. besaunders

besaunders Member

This thread keeps on giving and giving and giving...
  30. CarlStarrett

CarlStarrett Member

A beer.
    HopHead84 likes this.
  31. HopHead84

HopHead84 Member

I've never been there, but judging from their facebook posts I think they're making beer as a front for whoring out their bartenders.
  32. evilc

evilc Member

Sold.
    Sebowski likes this.
  33. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Do you go to ANY good breweries? You seem to be stuck on the crappiest of the crappiest. Get thee to Alpine or Pizza Port already.

And stop supporting douchebags.
    pinkgrenade and DoughIn like this.
  34. rrryanc

rrryanc Member

I miss San Diego...
  35. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz Member

Get your friends to mail you growlers Ryan...and bring them to Harry's.
  36. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Member

I like a hot chick as much as the next manly man, but that website and facebook page has the place screaming Ultimate Xtreme DoucheVille
  37. rrryanc

rrryanc Member

Haha I'll work on that. Doesn't solve the plastic-hot bartender shortage problem though...
  38. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz Member

I hope your girlfriend isn't trolling BA.
  39. rrryanc

rrryanc Member

You and me both!
  40. CarlStarrett

CarlStarrett Member

Dude, I'm lazy. I live in Rancho San Diego and my office is in El Cajon. I drive by there on my way home almost every night. My wife loves the places that is good enough for me. Everybody I know who's ever gone that on my recommendation has enjoyed it as well.

I don't look it as supporting a DB. I look at it as supporting the people who might lose their jobs if they don't get somebody else to find a way to run the place profitably.