El Segundo Hop Tanker

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Black_Rider, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OTB

OTB Pooh-Bah (1,779) Sep 2, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

No, I have had it three times and actually tried it again last night with the current batch after reading this post to see if I was missing something, all the bottles were very fresh and my notes are consistent with each bottle. Just not my style DIPA. To each his own I guess.

crbooher likes this.
  2. Sublime

Sublime Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2007 California

Yup I have the same impression as OTB. Overtly malty and sweet, the thing is super dark, like a red IPA or strong ale. I think it is a waste to use those hops in that style of beer, how can they stand out in such a huge malty frame?

crbooher and OTB like this.
  3. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Pooh-Bah (1,945) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah

I think they blend together nicely. I can see how some might say its boozy but I don't mind a small amount of blooziness on the finish. it reminds me of Hoptimum

To each their own indeed

4. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Pooh-Bah (2,057) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

People who don't like DIPAs don't like Hop Tanker. Who'd a thunk it?

Wowcoolman and JohnCassillo like this.
  5. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Savant (1,225) Mar 23, 2008 California

It's a good beer, but at the $10 a bomber price point i prefer Simtra.

6. OTB

Pooh-Bah Society

Actually there are DIPAs that are extremely well balanced and express the character of the hop bill much better, like Pliny, KRBC Citra, Alpine Pure Hoppiness to name a few, I enjoy these as they are brilliantly crafted. It's the overtly malted high ABV DIPAs that…..again, for me, I just don't care for anymore. When it's pushing 10% ABV, I would much rather go into my wine cellar and enjoy a great bottle of Pinot.

embeevlos86 and crbooher like this.
  7. Black_Rider

Pooh-Bah

funny you mention KRBC Citra. when i was at the ES tasting room last weekend the dude working there broke some of that out and shared some with me. i understand it's been a while since it was released and may have dropped off a bit, but i wasn't that impressed.

for me i don't solely like one specific style of DIPA. i like Pliny and Pure Hoppiness too. i also like a robust (yet hoppy) DIPA in the family of Hoptimum or Dank Matter.

also, Hop Tanker bottles are much cheaper at the brewery (for anyone interested - think they might be dust now though until the next batch)

8. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That Citra bottle was probably from Febuary this year. That puts it at 5+ months already. The taste has dropped off after 1 month. 5 months your looking at 5 times that. Floaties on the bottom? It was not fresh. Fresh Citra is very palatable to most who enjoy Citra beer. You need a fresh bottle to enjoy the taste. Then you can make judgement.

Retsinis and Original_Fake like this.
  9. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

Fresh Citra is one of the best DIPAs I've ever had. Don't care about the hype. It just is. Not sure I would judge it based on a bottle that's five months old.

10. Black_Rider

Pooh-Bah

yeah, i agree. i did mention in my post that i knew it probably wasn't fresh (didn't realize that long). was kind of surprised someone had not opened that sooner, especially at a brewery, with, presumably, beer people

11. SoCalBeerIdiot

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Floaties? Does that happen with all IPAs or just certain ones/types? Just curious; sorry for the sidebar.

12. Fern13

Fern13 Zealot (532) Jan 24, 2013 California
    Trader

I have to agree and say Hop Tanker is a class IPA! Did anyone get a chance to try their Power Plant TIPA? That was pretty damn tasty as well!

dcgunman likes this.
  13. OTB

Pooh-Bah Society

It's almost criminal that a bottle of Citra is five months old in of itself.

Original_Fake likes this.
  14. crbooher

crbooher Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2010 California

I didn't want to speak ill of a great brewery earlier, but I am in complete agreement with @OTB. Hop Tanker is my least favorite IPA from El Segundo. I think a lot of their others are far better, and I like the Blue House Citra Pale Ale WAY more.

OTB likes this.
  15. drewone

drewone Pooh-Bah (2,199) Sep 18, 2006 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Power plant was awesome - and I did do a side by side with (fresh) Younger, and they were neck and neck (albeit also very different). This may key into the above discussion, as I find younger to be pretty subtle, where as the power plant is a bit more bold so it stood out. I do like most of the El Segundo offerings.

16. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Power Plant is their best hoppy beer in my opinion.

Retsinis likes this.
  17. Modernrickk

Modernrickk Pooh-Bah (1,853) Oct 3, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah

Can 2 five left, get a lil love?

BeerBaron666 likes this.
  18. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 California

Surprisingly, was not a huge fan -- and I had it on tap at the tasting room a few months back. I know I've heard a lot of great things about that beer, so was a bit perplexed when it didn't live up for me.

Modernrickk likes this.
  19. SoCalBeerIdiot

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah people seem to love White Dog and esp. Two Five Left and they're good beers, but I don't think I've had a sip of either since Grand Hill came out, then Hop Tanker, then Mayberry--all way better than WD and 2-5L, IMO.

Every IPA they come out with seems better than the last, so no complaining from me.

20. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 California

Very fair. Yeah, for me, it's Hop Tanker, then Blue House Citra Pale Ale (surprisingly), then Mayberry. Reminds me I really should get down there more often...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.