1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Election 2012 Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by draheim, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Had a few pints of Four Peaks Hop Knot while watching coverage. Thinking I'll be celebrating with something when I get home. Maybe an FBS or Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout. Either way, it's going to be dark. ;)

[​IMG]
  2. Edit: fixed! well that came out wrong. My apologies.
  3. Right...because requiring identification to cast a vote is racist. :rolls eyes:

The idea of a universal right to vote is a uniquely modern and abstract concept, America (thankfully) guarantees all of its legitimate citizens a vote, and as such obtaining such proof really isn't that difficult. If anything, voter ID laws are an inconvenience and not voter suppression, and the people that believe in the American process will follow the requisite processes in order to obtain the necessary credentials to vote. No one ever said that exercising your "rights" is easy, and if they truly believe in in the American electoral system they will endure the terrible inconvenience of finding an hour or two out of the 8760 hours provided to them in a calendar year to suck it up and obtain said necessary credentials.

#iwantalltherightsguaranteedtometocomeeasywithoutanyeffortonmypart
    Dools9 likes this.
  4. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Right, because voter fraud is so widespread, and so many of those darn illegals are voting. ::rolls eyes::

That was fun!
  5. Agreed. You need an id to cash a check and rent a book from a library for Christ sake.
  6. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Jesus Christ...have a beer, dude.
  7. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

You have to rent your library books? They let me just borrow them. ;)
    beertunes and stayclean like this.
  8. BigD13

BigD13 Disciple (65) Florida Sep 21, 2008

I've had a pale ale home brew, a SNPA and a Lagunitus Imperial Red.......so far :)
  9. Rent, borrow, check out, whatever.
  10. Well when that happens, survival skills will be more useful!
    DelMontiac likes this.
  11. LOL OK, that's tantamount to saying that since house fires aren't a huge concern for the population en masse people should no longer have smoke detectors installed in their homes. Hey, I've seen the stats, I agree, voter fraud isn't a big problem. But it's a proactive measure to help protect the legitimacy of the vote.

anyway, in an effort to save this thread before it spins wildly off topic, what are you drinking tonight?
  12. Wetpaperbag

Wetpaperbag Savant (415) Washington Aug 14, 2007

Abominable from HUB. I love the 4 pack cans, and the artwork they have on the can.
  13. I'm developing a throbbing headache. I think the most appropriate beer to drink in this occasion is Sour Black. Maybe Double Bastard. Tough call.
  14. stayclean

A Breakfast Stout while wishing the lone Backwoods Bastard I could wrangle from three stores near me would morph into a 4-pack.

For the record, I have removed every fire detector from every house/apartment I've lived in. Ironically enough, dying in a fire is a top fear of mine, but I just can't stand the damn things. Seem to always have those super sensitive shitty ones that go off the second you turn on the microwave, let alone try to cook an actual meal. Had one that kept beeping after removing the dead battery (boy do I hate being woken up by THAT), straight into a plastic bag and launched into the void for that monster of a detector. Cheers!
    Giovannilucano likes this.
  15. Blind Pig followed by a Celebration. Double Bastard might serve as the finisher.
  16. Hey now, they've already documented election fraud this election ;): http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/...tering-ballots-to-republican-straight-ticket/

The problem with ID is that more people don't have one than you think, something like 15-20%. Just because you drive doesn't mean everyone drives. The states that implemented voter ID have also largely done a pretty great job of making sure that places with the greatest number of people lacking one have the hardest time getting one.

Back on topic - it's homebrew time! Jimmy Carter ftw!
    DrAwkward82 and stayclean like this.
  17. stayclean

The Wisconsin voter ID law (that was struck down, thankfully) was really odd. You could get a state ID for free, but you had to say it was for voting/check a box on the form that said something to that effect.

There's also lots of people who just don't have the time to make it to a DMV before they close, not to mention more rural areas where they are spread out further away than where people live, or are only open a few times a month/few months a year/etc.
    DrAwkward82 likes this.
  18. Well since house fires claim about 2,640 deaths per year in a nation of about 300 million people, or roughly 0.0000088%, my analogy is more than appropriate.

However, I do understand your concern.
  19. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

Cheers president Obama, ya did again, now let's do some good for the country! I raise my other half of berserker to you.
  20. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Cheers.
    bum732 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.